Aura UHD android TV recorder November launch

Used the Aura app to set Repair Shop to record. Came in at 8:10 to find it not recording. (Fault 1)

Pressed Green to watch from start. 5 minutes in, was thrown out to home page to message about a software update.(Fault 2)

Did update, restarted, Ch101, Green button, but it was from the beginning, so wound on 5 minutes and pressed Play. I kid you not, the picture was full sized, but in the bottom RH, corner, where the PiP would be, so all I could see was the top LH of the show. (Fault 3)

Geez.
I had it set to record on my HDRT2 tonight on BBC1HD but I just watched it and it had only recorded from 20.25 - 21.00, I had nothing else set to record before or at the same time.

I had it set to record on my HDRT2 tonight on BBC1HD but I just watched it and it had only recorded from 20.25 - 21.00, I had nothing else set to record before or at the same time.
Oh! Ditto. I would normally have watched it live, but I was occupied with Winterwatch.

Might try padding next time!
No need, it's very rare for this to happen (and if you do the other problem is sure to get you!). I guess the iPlayer servers will be pretty busy (qtube).

Then you should have recorded the bidding room as well. The first part of RS was tacked onto the end.

PS, can't see any point in comparing Android TV with past proprietary boxes. What is needed is clear documentation and consistent and intuitive behaviour.
What counts as "intuitive behaviour" often depends on what the user has previously been used to and often differs for different people. A good example of that is Sky box users moving on who are forever moaning that their new non-Sky box does not work the same.

Then you should have recorded the bidding room as well. The first part of RS was tacked onto the end.
I have BR on series record, failed to record, 0min, I assumed Doris had hijacked the slot again.

Last edited:
@BH, I had not used iPlayer for years until recently, I set it up on my new TV, opened an account and jumped through all the hoops to do so, it said my TV was now set up but when I tried to use it a few days later it wanted me to log in again through a computer or smart phone, is that a thing now every time you use it or do I need to adjust the settings ? I have little use for iPlayer so have not bothered to look into it since.

No need, it's very rare for this to happen (and if you do the other problem is sure to get you!).
Careful, this thread is in the Aura section and it may be a more common problem on an Aura than an HDR-FOX T2. Certainly the FVP-5000T is worse at accurate recording than the HDR-FOX T2 when there are schedule changes, something I find really disappointing.

Careful, this thread is in the Aura section and it may be a more common problem on an Aura than an HDR-FOX T2.
How can it be - it was a broadcaster cock-up. OK, so the conversation has drifted off-topic, but it is a continuation of a conversation started in this thread in good faith.

I set it up on my new TV, opened an account and jumped through all the hoops to do so, it said my TV was now set up but when I tried to use it a few days later it wanted me to log in again through a computer or smart phone, is that a thing now every time you use it or do I need to adjust the settings ?
You don't need to do any of that if you just plug the programme URL into qtube (HDR-FOX CF), or, indeed, use the iPlayer app in the HDR-FOX TV Portal (with the necessary hack to overcome the certificate problem until the new firmware is released - all you need to do is tick that you are a licence payer). This badgering only happens when using apps in Android or iOS (or wherever), where they like to see who their audience are (and no doubt would on set-top boxes if they could roll the clock back... maybe this firmware update is their opportunity).

Cheers BH, so as far as the TV goes they expect a log in everytime then. It would be quicker to just download from a dodgy site than log in :). I assume that going the T2 route would exclude 4k as that would pretty much be the only reason for me to use iPlayer though when I compared the iPlayer 4k His dark materials to the HD copy I recorded on the T2 I could not see much of a noticable improvement.

Ah, I get it. Bl00dy UHD! It has to set up a different buffer size when you change channel, which means there is a delay, rather than setting up a fixed buffer large enough for an HD (a HD?) recording of 2 hours.

So when Mrs Scrat says "there's a program just started on channel yyy," and I switch to it and pause it so she can get some acorns, I should really be hitting the record button instead.

If I am warned in advance, I pre-record most things we watch anyway.
The buffer file is fixed in size. All that changes is the pointer to where in the buffer file the latest start is located. That is how the instant record button works,

iPlayer does not usually require you to login more than the first time.
Why not get a Sky Q box. Just as valid (irrelevant) an argument as that for qtube on the T2?

How can it be - it was a broadcaster cock-up. OK, so the conversation has drifted off-topic, but it is a continuation of a conversation started in this thread in good faith.
You were responding to someone who said they would use padding next time. There is some evidence that the Aura isn't as good as the HDR-FOX T2 at accurate recording so considering using padding isn't entirely unreasonable. I agree in the specific case it turns out it was a broadcaster error where neither accurate recording or padding would help.

I agree in the specific case it turns out it was a broadcaster error where neither accurate recording or padding would help.
At least you agree on something.

You were responding to someone who said they would use padding next time.
Yes - specifically in the context of having a failed The Repair Shop, a high-value recording - not a general comment on the ability of the Aura to perform AR.

There is some evidence that the Aura isn't as good as the HDR-FOX T2 at accurate recording
What evidence? Are you certain this isn't just hearsay?

There were a lot of technical issues with AR in the early days of HDR-FOX, but few (if any) of those were down to the HDR-FOX itself (unless you let the EPG go stale). If the Aura has faults, they should be pretty obvious and have more reports than just a few inexperienced users who make 2 and 2 add up to 5.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, people would be wise to check whether "AR faults" actually originate with the broadcaster.

I've just had a skim through 22 pages and I think one of my questions about the Aura has been answered, but not others, so...

Is it possible to install apps such as Discovery+ and use that to stream programs from it (primary from Quest things like Vintage Voltage, Aussie Gold Hunters etc. etc.) and if so, is that SD or HD? (Well, until they make it all subscription only.)

It sounds like it is a bit quicker than the 4000/5000, although not without problems for now, so I'm asking myself - and I guess you guys, what is the point of the box? I get it is UHD, but there is no UHD OTA (yet?) and minimal on catch-up. Is this a box which will have a purpose in future? I quite like the idea of a new lockdown toy, but I'm not sure a slightly faster interface and easy access to Quest via catchup is enough to tempt me (although the latter is rather tempting I suspect there are cheaper ways to do that). I'm more tempted if UHD OTA is coming, but otherwise wondering if in 6 months time I'd just be thinking it is a waste of money? (Not attempting to dismiss others opinions, just trying to explain my own lack of understanding.)

As best I understand it we can still skip ads using buttons by e.g. 60s or 15s as with the 4000. Not sure if there is anything else I'd miss from the 4000 though?

Thanks,
Jeddy

What evidence? Are you certain this isn't just hearsay?
I am fairly confident that I have seen a couple of descriptions of problems over on MyHumax that match what I have observed comparing an HDR-FOX T2 and an FVP-5000T. Am I certain, no because I don't own an Aura and can't conduct my own tests.
There were a lot of technical issues with AR in the early days of HDR-FOX, but few (if any) of those were down to the HDR-FOX itself (unless you let the EPG go stale).
I was involved in the beta testing of the initial Humax implementation on the 9200T and there were a lot of technical faults in those days but eventually they came up with a solution that worked tolerably well but not perfectly. My experience with the HDR-FOX T2 from the outset was that it did accurate recording better than than the 9200T. I seem to remember that you were the great denier of the benefits of accurate recording when you joined this forum until some time later your box reset itself and suddenly accurate recording started working for you.
If the Aura has faults, they should be pretty obvious and have more reports than just a few inexperienced users who make 2 and 2 add up to 5.
The problems I am talking about are where the schedule is changing fairly close to the start of the recording. These aren't very common and many people don't expect accurate recording to work in those circumstances so there aren't that many reports.

Back