Can't get a directory listing through Filezilla FTP for My Video Folder. My Photos and My Music are both fine

To clarify FTP works fine from both OSX and linux...I just can't enter the My Videos Folder (using either OSX or linux)
Not sure if I can help further, but just thought I'd show the response I get when using the cli ftp to humax, in case it may give you clues.
Note you can use either user 'root' or 'humaxftp' and the password is the humax PIN.
I don't have anything in My Music and My Photo. I've truncated the result from the directory listing returned for My Video.
Code:
ftp 192.168.1.23
Connected to 192.168.1.23.
220 Humax FTP Server ready.
Name (192.168.1.23:bottletop): humaxftp
331 Password required for humaxftp.
Password:
230 User logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command OK.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for directory listing.
total 28
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root             4096 Jan  2  1971 My Music
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root             4096 Nov  8  2018 My Photo
drwxr-xr-x  57 root     root            16384 Oct  8 16:01 My Video
drwxrwxrwx  11 root     root             4096 Jun 13 20:37 drive1
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> ls "My Music"
200 PORT command OK.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> ls "My Photo"
200 PORT command OK.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> ls "My Video"
200 PORT command OK.
total 24847884
drwxr-xr-x   6 root     root             4096 Oct  9 05:43 [Deleted Items]
drwxrwxrwx   4 root     root             4096 Jan 19  2020 [ModSettings]
drwxrwxrwx   6 root     root             4096 Jan 19  2020 [edit]
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root             4096 Jun 13 04:15 _original
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> exit
221 Goodbye.

Last edited:
Clutching at straws here - maybe switch off the smart TV that can access the Humax My Videos for a while, then test the ftp access etc to make sure the TV is not affecting connection.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone I appreciate it. Just to update on my progress so far or lack of..

I was able to Telnet into the box and issue this command after selecting the "cli" option: ls -lart "/mnt/hd2/My Video" The resulting output offered no clues as to any rouge .hidden files are anything that would explain the situation
I did install tnftp, but was unable to start an ftp connection to 127.0.0.1 from within telnet session. I guess I don;t know the syntax to do that. I tried just "ftp 127.0.0.1", from the telnet session prompt but it said ftp not reognised.
I then logged out of telnet session and tried just an ftp connection from terminal in my linux laptop. I got access and got pretty much the exact same output as bottletop above right up to the line
Code:
ftp> ls "My Video"
200 PORT command OK.
then it just 'hung' did noting for now just over 3 hours! so I stopped waiting and ended the ftp session
I have tried turning off and unplugging smart tv and then ftping back in from my Mac, and linux laptop still ftp ok but can't get directory listing of My Videos

I even went in and renamed 3 folders that had a hypen in them and just removed the hypen

None of this makes any difference

thing is, doesn;t seem like a network isue to me, because well i can FTP in from filezilla and commandline on linux etc and browse the directory tree, except the "My Videos" folder

Unable to connect using NFS from finder although for a time after installing CF I did see the humax box listed in finder, but when i clicked on it it just showed empty folder

Tried to connect using GO > Connect to server on mac and it just says don;t have permission to access server ( I know all the nfs and samba stuff is very unreliable on macs!!

Anyone any other ideas. I'm open to suggestions

How do i run an ftp session from within telnet session. I'm interested in ruling that out but was unable to action it

Dave

update: oh just wanted to add I do in fact have some network shares working fine. I have a synology NAS connected to my network and visable on macs and linux laptops and its folders are all mounted and accessible through finder, so it is possible to have these servers mounted via NFS or Samba (can't remember how it is done with synology it was set up years ago!). Humax like I said did mount itself when i first installed CF, however the directory listing was empty

Last edited:
I guess I don;t know the syntax to do that.
I gave you the exact syntax.
I tried just "ftp 127.0.0.1", from the telnet session prompt
Which is what I said. "ftp" is an alias for "tnftp" which itself is found in "/mod/bin/tnftp", so try that and then see what it says.
but it said ftp not reognised.
No it didn't. Why can't you provide exact detail and error messages? Copy'n'paste isn't difficult.

I gave you the exact syntax.

Which is what I said. "ftp" is an alias for "tnftp" which itself is found in "/mod/bin/tnftp", so try that and then see what it says.

No it didn't. Why can't you provide exact detail and error messages? Copy'n'paste isn't difficult.
Sorry abut that.
I was actually typing into this forum from mac while ding all the telnet stuff on different linux laptop. (haven't figured out how to copy and paste from one physical machine to another (maybe a project for next weekend!! lol)
Anyway I am now on laptop in forum and telnet and will c&p exact info using c&p ;)

incidently when you said to install tnftp did you mean install whilst in telnet session (would that just be sudo apt install tnftp)
I did install tnftp on this laptop but not from within telnet session (which i am now thinking is what you meant)
this is what it actually says and what I meant when i said "ftp not recognised"

Code:
Humax HDR-Fox T2 (humax) 1.03.12/3.13

To return to the menu, type: exit

humax# ftp 127.0.0.1
/bin/sh: ftp: not found
humax#

Code:
    cli - System command line (advanced users).

Please select option: cli

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Humax HDR-Fox T2 (humax) 1.03.12/3.13

To return to the menu, type: exit

humax# ftp 127.0.0.1
/bin/sh: ftp: not found
humax# sudo apt install tnftp
/bin/sh: sudo: not found
humax# apt install tnftp
/bin/sh: apt: not found
humax# tnftp 127.0.0.1
/bin/sh: tnftp: not found
humax#

I'm not clear when you say to install tnftp what you mean
I have installed it on tis latop but when i try and use it from within telnet session I get the messages above

is there a way to install it on the humax box from my telnet session? is that what you meant?

do i need maybe to cd into the mod folder first and try ftp 127.0.0.1 from there? sorry this is all a bit new to me I'm trying my best to keep up!

ok i think what I am asking is how to I install tnftp onto the humax box.

Last edited:
incidently when you said to install tnftp did you mean install whilst in telnet session (would that just be sudo apt install tnftp)
Packages for the humax are installed using opkg command or more commonly from the package management pages of the webif.
Code:
opkg intall tnftp
Have you tried installing the betaftpd package opkg install betaftpd and turning off the native ftp yet?

Did I mention the "Package Management" icon on the WebIf home page?

At the shell command line, use the opkg command, as apt belongs in Debian and its derivatives: opkg install tnftp.

Packages for the humax are installed using opkg command or more commonly from the package management pages of the webif.
Code:
opkg intall tnftp
Have you tried installing the betaftpd package opkg install betaftpd and turning off the native ftp yet?
Yes tried betaftpd with native disabled. Same problem

Ill try opkg install tnftp from within telnet session, then ftp 127.0.0.1 and see how that goes
Really appreciate all the help
Nothing more frustrating than helping a newbie ;)

...and tried just an ftp connection from terminal in my linux laptop. I got access and got pretty much the exact same output as bottletop above right up to the line
Code:
ftp> ls "My Video"
200 PORT command OK.
then it just 'hung' did noting for now just over 3 hours! so I stopped waiting and ended the ftp session
I have tried turning off and unplugging smart tv and then ftping back in from my Mac, and linux laptop still ftp ok but can't get directory listing of My Videos
That suggests your ftp and network access is working ok.
Try telnet or ssh to your humax, then use these to check number of directories and files in My Video
Code:
find /mnt/hd2/My\ Video/ -maxdepth 1 -type d | wc -l
find /mnt/hd2/My\ Video/ -maxdepth 1 -type f | wc -l
I wonder if you have a large number of files, causing ftp to get confused? If so, try moving a large chunk of files into a sub directory like "My Videos/subdir1" to see if helps ftp access. You can create a folder and move files using the custom FW WebIF or the remote OPT+ & TV option.
Also, has anything changed recently, just before this issue occurred. Eg new router or other networking hardware? Or any new equipment? Or did you try adding or removing lots of files from My Videos?

Last edited:
Code:
ftp> ls
227 Entering passive mode (127,0,0,1,5,199)
total 20
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root             4096 Oct  7 12:51 My Music
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root             4096 Oct  6 20:54 My Photo
drwxr-xr-x  27 root     root            12288 Oct  9 14:32 My Video
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> ls "My Video"
227 Entering passive mode (127,0,0,1,9,14)
total 17463416

progress
so I can ftp into My video from telnet session with tnftp
it started to list directories. it is slow but it is the first time i have got access with FTP

result: 26
result : 24

That suggests your ftp and network access is working ok.
Try telnet or ssh to your humax, then use these to check number of directories and files in My Video
Code:
I wonder if you have a large number of files, causing ftp to get confused? If so, try moving a large chunk of files into a sub directory like "My Videos/subdir1" to see if helps ftp access. You can create a folder and move files using the custom FW WebIF or the remote OPT+ & TV option.
Also, has anything changed recently, just before this issue occurred. Eg new router or other networking hardware? Or any new equipment? Or did you try adding or removing lots of files from My Videos?

no new changes, no hardware changes, or equipment added. Added about 30 files in 3 folders which worked fine, then next time i tried to access with filezilla it would not give me access. I did install update to filezilla since last time i had access. but as i get access to the box and to My Photos and My Music I dont see how it could be filezilla related? but maybe it is an incompatibility introduced into non ASCii characters? So that some of the folder names are causing issues? thing is all folder names are now just text and one folder is named 420 . i did have some folder names with hypens! I read somewhere that non Ascii characters might be an issue???

or could humax have a limit on number of files??

Last edited:
no new changes, no hardware changes, or equipment added. Added about 30 files in 3 folders which worked fine, then next time i tried to access with filezilla it would not give me access....
but maybe it is an incompatibility introduced into non ASCii characters? So that some of the folder names are causing issues? thing is all folder names are now just text and one folder is named 420 . i did have some folder names with hypens! I read somewhere that non Ascii characters might be an issue???

I'm not sure if that is the cause of the problem, but maybe we can test to see if it is? Simply use a web browser and enter the IP of the Humax to get into the Custom FW WebIF.
Click on Browse Media Files, My Video, 'Select All' (near bottom of list), Cut.
Navigate to My Music, File Clipboard 'Paste to current folder'.
This should move all files out of My Video into My Music. As we're performing a cut and paste, ie move, from one directory to another (within the same partition) it should only take seconds for the move.
Confirm your files are gone by using telnet to the Humax and ls -Al "/mnt/hd2/My Video"
Paste full results here so we can see (in case I've overlooked anything).
Now test the ftp access using ftp cli and FileZilla. If a file or directory name was causing the issue, then the problem should follow the pasted destination. It should then be a process of elimination (by moving roughly 5 files/directories at a time back, then testing ftp access) to see which files/directories are causing trouble.
By the way hyphens, asterisks, ampersand, pound sign, etc, more or less all shift keys on keyboard are all ASCII characters.
So if you think there are some non standard characters causing the problem, show the ones you're worried about because I can't see what you mean.

Last edited:
Also, a folder with a suspect name may have been renamed by the filesystem checker run as part of fix-disk (eg the "420" folder mentioned).

Do you now have access from the Mac or Linux FTP clients?

Packages for the humax are installed using opkg command or more commustrating than helping a newbie ;)
I'm not sure if that is the cause of the problem, but maybe we can test to see if it is? Simply use a web browser and enter the IP of the Humax to get into the Custom FW WebIF.
Click on Browse Media Files, My Video, 'Select All' (near bottom of list), Cut.
Navigate to My Music, File Clipboard 'Paste to current folder'.
This should move all files out of My Video into My Music. As we're performing a cut and paste, ie move, from one directory to another (within the same partition) it should only take seconds for the move.
Confirm your files are gone by using telnet to the Humax and ls -Al "/mnt/hd2/My Video"
Paste full results here so we can see (in case I've overlooked anything).
Now test the ftp access using ftp cli and FileZilla. If a file or directory name was causing the issue, then the problem should follow the pasted destination. It should then be a process of elimination (by moving roughly 5 files/directories at a time back, then testing ftp access) to see which files/directories are causing trouble.
By the way hyphens, asterisks, ampersand, pound sign, etc, more or less all shift keys on keyboard are all ASCII characters.
So if you think there are some non standard characters causing the problem, show the ones you're worried about because I can't see what you mean.

Can I just check before i do this, there are 516GB of files inside about 24 folders, you say it will only take a few seconds to cut and paste?

Also in case it is relevant I don;t have access to the Custom FW WebIF from any device or browser combo EXCEPT opera browser on my phone!!!!! All other browser/device combos result in browser just hanging and not loading the page. browsers have so much ad blocking and protection built in now. Weirdly I was able to do the initial CF install from my mac using firefox, but now I no longer have access to the WebIF from it either.
I do have my OSX firewall off for all of this in case it was the problem, although I had set filezilla and all browsers to allow incoming connection before I turned it off. Firewall off or on made no difference

Last edited:
Also, a folder with a suspect name may have been renamed by the filesystem checker run as part of fix-disk (eg the "420" folder mentioned).

Do you now have access from the Mac or Linux FTP clients?

the 420 folder is definitely one of mine not a renamed folder
I still don't have access from mac or linux using filezilla

ive just seen something that might be relevant in the WebIF. I have a folder called movies with around 200gb of files and the folder icon has a little green circle with a dash in it top right corner

OK we have a breaktrhough YAY! first off a big thanks to everyone who has helped me out

So I moved all files from My video to My Music
Was able to FTP into My Video (it was empty)

I was unable to ftp into My music! not surprisingly lol

Code:
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root           276 Oct 10 14:42 .series

was added to the folder

I have started moving folders back to My Video EXCEPT "Movies" (that has a wee green icon circle with a dash in it (top right of folder icon)
So far so good - I can still ftp into My Video
Noticing some irregular behaviour though i.e some folders that I know to have lots of files in them will not give a directory listing (much the same as when i was trying to access my video! which leads me to believe this is an issue with filezilla and how it handles folders with lots of files in them as opposed to maybe less than 14 files ( i say 14 because a lot of the folders I can access have maybe 13 episodes of something!)

Back