Can't get a directory listing through Filezilla FTP for My Video Folder. My Photos and My Music are both fine

Cheers
I've been through this but don;t see any mention of nfs-utils?
also installing web interface and have been stuck at this point for 10 mins should i be worried?

Downloading hthtp://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/wget_1.20.3_mipsel.opk.
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 134213632 bytes
UUID=a65dc355-0d41-4e1f-a95c-f6d96618d512
Disabling TCP window scaling
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 0

ok will this sucks. Everything was going well the install of the web interface even completed and offerd me a reboot screen which i did. However now when I put in the IP address nothing happens at all. GOing try and turn off firewall in case that is blocking it

Maybe the IP address has been re-assigned?

Once you can connect there will be a "Package Management" icon that you can follow to install NFS and/or a replacement FTP server.

could it be a problem with sky router?? I managed to get NFS util s installed using data connection of phone!. However with NFS installed, unable to connect through finder! Goina try installing SAMBA on humax but samba is notirously bad on OSX I never manage to get relaible network connections with it. Will also try a different ftp app and then see if i can connect again with filezilla and access My Videos!

Any idea how i would be able to use the web interface to install and reboot etc but then when i go to the IP in my browser it just freezes??

Goina try installing SAMBA on humax
Why? The nfs-utils package* installs NFS networking. Why use SMB when you know OSX is NFS?

It strikes me you are trying to hit the ground running instead of taking things step by step. The Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click) takes you through it all step by step, and you should concentrate on solving your "router problem" before you leap off elsewhere.

I agree it now looks like something in the Humax causing the FTP problem, but to figure that out will almost certainly need CF facilities for debugging, and once you have CF installed (properly!) you can switch to CF FTP or network sharing anyway and the native FTP problem becomes immaterial.

It shouldn't be so hard as you are making it sound. Perhaps your FTP problem is indicative of a more general problem. Your first port of call should be to do a Telnet connection (if that doesn't work you need to find out why in your wider configuration), and run a disk check from maintenance mode.

* WebIF >> Package Management >> Available

this when trying to connect through finder : The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem. With NFS from "connect to server" you do not have permission to access this server! Any help welcome

Why? The nfs-utils package* installs NFS networking. Why use SMB when you know OSX is NFS?

It strikes me you are trying to hit the ground running instead of taking things step by step. The Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click) takes you through it all step by step, and you should concentrate on solving your "router problem" before you leap off elsewhere.

I agree it now looks like something in the Humax causing the FTP problem, but to figure that out will almost certainly need CF facilities for debugging, and once you have CF installed (properly!) you can switch to CF FTP or network sharing anyway and the native FTP problem becomes immaterial.

It shouldn't be so hard as you are making it sound. Perhaps your FTP problem is indicative of a more general problem. Your first port of call should be to do a Telnet connection (if that doesn't work you need to find out why in your wider configuration), and run a disk check from maintenance mode.

* WebIF >> Package Management >> Available

I tried samba because NFS didn;t work!. But I am goina uninstall samba and focus on NFS. I managed to telnet in just now from a linux laptop as ftp and telnet etc removed from OSX (without lots of messing around!). Tried to rundiag but asking for diagnostic name which i can get from web interface which has now frozen ( I am getting access to web interface via opera browser on my phone whilst connected to home wifi, but I can't access it from any other device. Also now trying to access router config page in browser but also blocked, so some weird shit going down. :(. Thanks for all advice and help so far!

should add installed CF FTP and deactivated FTP from humax menu but same FTP issue is present. Access to everything except inside of My Videos

The only member I know who uses OSX is off line!

bummer!

What diag do you recommend i run? I have the list now from the wiki

I ran general diag and all passed!

I have initiated maintenance mode and waiting to telnet back in. hoping to find option to run a disk check
I have run a self check of HDD and it completed without error

Last edited:
...I have run a self check of HDD and it completed without error
So if there's a disk issue it's at the filesystem level.

Perhaps the permissions of the "My Video" folder have been corrupted so that FTP servers, which probably try to implement the local permissions despite running as root on the Humax, don't show the directory.

What happens if you connect to the CF FTP server (built-in server disabled) using root instead of humaxftp as the user (PIN code as password in either case)?

What is the output of ls -l /mnt/hd2 from the shell command line in telnet or WebShell (you can check this from Maintenance mode before running the "Check and repair hard disk" option -- use the -P additional option if you're sure there are no bad sectors)?

Last edited:
So if there's a disk issue it's at the filesystem level.

Perhaps the permissions of the "My Video" folder have been corrupted so that FTP servers, which probably try to implement the local permissions despite running as root on the Humax, don't show the directory.

What happens if you connect to the CF FTP server (built-in server disabled) using root instead of humaxftp as the user (PIN code as password in either case)?

What is the output of ls -l /mnt/hd2 from the shell command line in telnet or WebShell (you can check this from Maintenance mode before running the "Check and repair hard disk" option -- use the -P additional option if you're sure there are no bad sectors)?

Connecting to CF FTP (built in server is turned off) results in same issue. I can see the 3 main folders in media folder, namely My Photos, My Music & My Videos. I can enter My photos and My music but not My Video

output of ls:

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 7 13:51 My Music
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 6 21:54 My Photos
drwxr-xr-x 27 root root 12288 Oct 7 21:52 My Video
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 8 10:48 Tsr
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2539520 Oct 7 10:51 dms_cds.db
drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 4096 Oct 7 10:48 mod
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 5 2012 thumbnail

Yes, maybe more patience is required (like seeing the result of an action before blogging about it).
you're right to call me out. Patience is a virtue, I'll try to ease up on the live blogging of my issues! lol. It's just frustrating ( I know I don;t need to tell you guys that) as it was all working perfectly a few weeks back and now all of a sudden can't access that 1 folder.

drwxr-xr-x 27 root root 12288 Oct 7 21:52 My Video
Sadly that doesn't support my hypothesis.

Elsewhere, I read that even recent versions of OS X should be compatible with the NFS versions supported by nfs-utils though Catalina is said to be buggy.

Have you run a disk repair yet (from the Maintenance Mode Telnet menu)? Use option "-y" when requested.

So ran disk repair (thats one way to stop me live blogging!! lol took about 20 hrs!)
Anyway came back with no problems. Did a few minor repairs but all was fine

I tried to FTP in again using CF ftp and root and obvs tried to access my videos folder this was the response

Code:
Command:    CWD /mnt/hd2/My Video
Response:     250 CWD successful.
Command:    TYPE I
Response:     200 TYPE ignored (always I)
Command:    PASV
Response:     227 Entering passive mode (192,168,0,177,14,157)
Command:    LIST -a
Response:     150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for directory listing.
Response:     226 Transfer complete.
Error:            Connection timed out after 60 seconds of inactivity
Error:            Failed to retrieve directory listing

The following images show output or result of fixdisk
IMG_20201009_104838.jpgIMG_20201009_104859.jpg

I'm curious. Does the ftp work when you try accessing it via another Linux machine (but not MAC OS)?
If so it may give you clues on where the error is, eg versions of software or the protocol standard/version.

I'm curious. Does the ftp work when you try accessing it via another Linux machine (but not MAC OS)?
If so it may give you clues on where the error is, eg versions of software or the protocol standard/version.

When i try ftp from linux laptop I have the exact same issue. I can connect to server and i can browse My Music and My Photos but I can't get directory listing for My Videos?? Everything points to an issue with that folder on the humax. I have been googling like mad for all possible associated issues and I'm starting to think it might have something to do with non ASCII characters in filenames/foldernames?? However it was all working couple weeks back so why stop working now. Then i realised I updated filezilla in the lst 2 weeks, so could they have introduced a bug that has issues ftping into a folder with nonASCII characters?? and what nonASCII characters could it be. All my folder names are just alphanumeric. I think I might have 3 folders with a hypen in them but that is ASCii surely????

To clarify FTP works fine from both OSX and linux...I just can't enter the My Videos Folder (using either OSX or linux)

Telnet into the box and issue this command after selecting the "cli" option: ls -lart "/mnt/hd2/My Video"

If you install the tnftp package, then you can try "ftp 127.0.0.1" from within the telnet session itself. This isolates anything external that may be causing confusion.

Back