Can't get a directory listing through Filezilla FTP for My Video Folder. My Photos and My Music are both fine

See post #58
its the only folder with a green circle and yet not the only folder with sub folders. however going by the wiki explaination the icon itself is nothing to worry about. It dies however have over 100 files in it and is one of the folders that filezilla will not return a directory listing for

I might try creating a dozen or so folder movies1, movies2 etc and put a smaller bunch of file in each

this MUST be a filezilla bug????

You can get rid of the sub directories and the 'green' icon if you wish, but I don't think it will fix your problem, I have folders with sub directories under My Video that are not tagged with the 'green circle' for some reason, I have Filezilla 3.50 running on Windows 8.1 and can see all files under My Video, however I probably have less files than you have

298 files in 18 directories totalling 378GB

Last edited:
I don't think it's a FileZilla bug because OP had the same issue with ftp cli from linux laptop. If anything it might be an compatibility issue with ftp and Humax. Having said that OP network is a little bit off because he mentioned resorting to mobile phone because browser access to WebIF wasn't working from laptop to Humax. Eg It might be something like MTU difference between devices, but that wouldn't explain why this is a recent problem.
I use Linux Mint 19.3. I have no issues. I can access my Humax fine using either cli FTP or FileZilla for transfers. My HDR has over 70 files and 50 directories in My Video. (The directories have further sub directories up to 5 deep and there are hundreds of files, but I don't think this bit is relevant.)
I think the issue is with ftp timing out when trying to show/access just the My Video directory for the OP, but as OP only has roughly 26 directories and 24 files stemming off My Video, it could be something like ftp falling over due to extra long directory names (this is just a wild guess).

Last edited:
I don't think it's a FileZilla bug because OP had the same issue with ftp cli from linux laptop. If anything it might be an compatibility issue with ftp and Humax. Having said that OP network is a little bit off because he mentioned resorting to mobile phone because browser access to WebIF wasn't working from laptop to Humax. Eg It might be something like MTU difference between devices, but that wouldn't explain why this is a recent problem.
I use Linux Mint 19.3. I have no issues. I can access my Humax fine using either cli FTP or FileZilla for transfers. My HDR has over 70 files and 50 directories in My Video. (The directories have further sub directories up to 5 deep and there are hundreds of files, but I don't think this bit is relevant.) I think the issue is with ftp timing out when trying to show/access just the My Video directory for the OP.

So I am the OP author
I can confirm that I now have FTP access to My Video folder, having cut and paste everything into my music using WebIF through opera browser on my phone over home wifi (because i can't access WebIF with any other browser/device combo!
I did mention using my phone data package to access WebIF at start of thread but I was mistaken I was connected to home wifi when getting access to WebIF on my phone

I can access all directories and their contents nested sub folders and everything using the webIF but when i use Filezilla the connection times out waiting for listings in any folder with i'd say more than 15 or so files. I haven't tested the exact number yet that is causing a timeout
I can access all folders and their contents using tnftp from within telnet session although it is quite slow to return listing

So i'd say this is narrowed down to something to do with Filezilla 3.50.0 on both OSX10.14.6 and linux ubuntu budgie or else something to do with filezilla and my home network! or filezilla and humax box since update of filezilla

i downloaded another ftp client on mac called 'commander one' and having same issue getting it do do a directory listing !
so maybe it is FTP and humax issue or ftp and humax on my network issue?

I'd say the issue started after i updated filezilla .

Any other input great appreciated
For now I am going just leave the 'offending' folders in My Music folder which I don;t use, so i can access My Video over FTP

I have just created a new folder "newmovies" uploaded 3 files each around 2.5gb and I can't get access to My Video again using filezilla. When I cut this folder and place it in My Music I get access via ftp back into my video again...aghhhhhhhh

Last edited:
So I am the OP author
Sorry away from home so it was easier for me to write OP, using mobile to write replies is difficult for me!

It may be, but I think you also mentioned you transferred 30 or so files to the Humax using FileZilla before this issue. So that is also a possible trigger.

For now I am going just leave the 'offending' folders in My Music folder which I don;t use, so i can access My Video over FTP
That's fair enough. If you wish to track issue further, you can try moving some items from My Music to My Photo to narrow down which files or directories it doesn't like. But it sounds like you've made good progress.

I only have Filezilla on windows but it was out old (3.40) and I have no problems accessing My Video and drives that are networked to the Humax I then updated to the latest version (3.50.0) and still had no problems. Displays of file lists was virtually instant and I had 174 file in one sub-directory.
The only directories I had problem with were ' [Flatview]' and ' [Molly]' which have leading blanks in the names, Filezilla dropped the leading blank in the list requests. (Embedded blanks are not a problem, [] without leading blanks are not a problem either)

I am very suspicious that you reported the directory list was very slow even when accessing the directory via local FTP - it should have been instantaneous.
Is it slow using the webif or ls from a telnet window? It smells of file system corruption in the directory but you also said you had run fix-disk without it finding problems.

I only have Filezilla on windows but it was out old (3.40) and I have no problems accessing My Video and drives that are networked to the Humax I then updated to the latest version (3.50.0) and still had no problems. Displays of file lists was virtually instant and I had 174 file in one sub-directory.
The only directories I had problem with were ' [Flatview]' and ' [Molly]' which have leading blanks in the names, Filezilla dropped the leading blank in the list requests. (Embedded blanks are not a problem, [] without leading blanks are not a problem either)

I am very suspicious that you reported the directory list was very slow even when accessing the directory via local FTP - it should have been instantaneous.
Is it slow using the webif or ls from a telnet window? It smells of file system corruption in the directory but you also said you had run fix-disk without it finding problems.

Using WebIF via opera browser on my phone ALL directory listings are instantaneous.

Using tnftp over telnet session, listings were almost instantaneous to start with, as i was adding folders back to My Video, but then started to suffer considerable lag. Listing a few folders then pause for a few minutes then listing more then pause then completing listing.

But all the time the WebIF is instantaneous and i can drill down into all folders and subfolders.

Makes me think file structure is ok

Fixdisk did a few minor repairs but nothing major was reported

Back