Car tax

D

Deleted member 473

No tax disk come next month! Someone pointed out that it may be difficult to drive your car abroad.

If you buy a used car, though, beware, as the tax doesn't follow the car, it follows the previous owner. The buyer has to tax the car to drive it away.

I hate this idea. It removes our democratic right to see that, having paid our dues, the vehicles around us are also legit. OK, so we can check by dialling the licence plate into the Internet, but that requires specific action. A spokesman from the DVLA likened it to not having to display your TV licence, but my answer to that is maybe we should.

Be aware also that the paper counterpart to the driving licence is being dropped also. This means that every tin-pot car hire company the world over will need to have Internet access to DVLA records to check driving history, otherwise we won't be able to hire a car on holiday.

Has the DVLA been flogged off yet? If not, this is probably why they are doing it. Cut costs - sack workers, shift as much online as possible. Pay consultants and vampire banks fat fees to come up with a suitable undervaluation. Sell it off for a lot less than it is worth to the same banks plus some hedge funds and foreign sovereign wealth funds. Provide a worse service and charge more for it. Profits go to hedge fund managers as bonuses, plus some windfall to German and Norwegian pension funds. UK taxpayers bend over and brace for another bumming. Simples. The neoliberal agenda proceeds unabated.

Also if you require a replacement tax disk, you could try this one :-

View attachment 1355
I have my own ideas for wording, something like:

"It is our democratic responsibility to pay VED, and our democratic right to see that others have paid theirs."

Or

"This vehicle is taxed, MoT'd, and insured. Is yours?"

Last edited:
Looks like another referendum...

It's a small step now to putting the tax on fuel and abolishing vehicle tax, a far more efficient way of achieving what the multiple tax bands try to do. If the car is inefficient, it uses more fuel. Simple!

An evil alliance:

1408977229697_wps_5_Teams_from_the_DVLA_out_o.jpg

It's a small step now to putting the tax on fuel and abolishing vehicle tax, a far more efficient way of achieving what the multiple tax bands try to do. If the car is inefficient, it uses more fuel. Simple!
The display of a valid tax disc shows that (at least at the time it was purchased) the car was insured and MoT'd. I agree putting an additional duty on fuel makes the tax raised proportional to road wear-and-tear, but as the VED is not hypothecated for the purpose of maintaining the roads you could say the tax we already pay on fuel does that.

Without the tax disc there is no clear public indication that a car may be or is not legal on the road.

Be aware also that the paper counterpart to the driving licence is being dropped also. This means that every tin-pot car hire company the world over will need to have Internet access to DVLA records to check driving history, otherwise we won't be able to hire a car on holiday.

I've hired a car abroad two or three times each year for past nine years and I've never been asked for the counterpart yet.

Fair enough, can't say I've hired many cars abroad... every tin-pot hire company in the UK then.

They used to ask for the paper counterpart but not recently. I am not sure they even have one in the US.

Not everyone has a card driving license, do they? Are they going to force that on everyone too? The old paper ones lasted for life, the new ones have to be renewed every 10 years. For £20.

I've hired a car abroad two or three times each year for past nine years and I've never been asked for the counterpart yet.
They didn't look at either part of mine at all a couple of weeks ago, although I had to supply the relevant details beforehand to 'fast-track'. That was only the most basic of info. though.

The old paper ones lasted for life, the new ones have to be renewed every 10 years. For £20.
I don't think that's quite so, the old paper ones last until your 70th birthday.
At that point you have to reapply every three years, you then get a new photo one each time.

Since the introduction of the photocard, the paper licence has only lasted as long as you don't need it updated for any reason whatsoever.

"It is our democratic responsibility to pay VED, and our democratic right to see that others have paid theirs."
What democratic right? We have no right to check other people are paying income tax, or any other tax, so what makes you think we have a right to inspect VED. To be consistent you should also demand that the MoT and insurance certificates are displayed as well.

In the last 10 years or so ANPR has gone from Tomorrows World feature to ubiquity, so a visible certificate (which with almost any home PC and printer would be very easy to forge anyway) has diminished in effectiveness to the point of 'too expensive'. I think it's called progress - a bit like those dubious moving picture recording box thingies :)

Not everyone has a card driving license, do they? Are they going to force that on everyone too? The old paper ones lasted for life, the new ones have to be renewed every 10 years. For £20.

I don't think that's quite so, the old paper ones last until your 70th birthday.
At that point you have to reapply every three years, you then get a new photo one each time.

If you change address or marital status etc., then you can only obtain the new card license.

What democratic right? We have no right to check other people are paying income tax, or any other tax, so what makes you think we have a right to inspect VED. To be consistent you should also demand that the MoT and insurance certificates are displayed as well.
The tax disc is evidence of MoT and insurance as well, or at least that MoT and insurance existed at the time it was issued.

You have a strange idea of what living in a democracy means. We may well employ a police force as our agents of enforcement, but that does not mean we ourselves have given up our rights to observe adherence to our democratic laws - even it that is the general attitude of the public. If I see an untaxed vehicle on the highway, I report it (and have) - what would you do? From October 1st it will no longer be apparent.

In particular, we share the roads with other road users who pose a potential hazard to us. The parallel to be drawn is licensed premises, places of work, etc, where insurance certificates and licences are on public display so that you know you are entering a place where your safety has been given consideration.

But, I have my opinion and have explained why. Each to his own.

Back