[CFW 2.22/1.03.11] Customised firmware based on 1.03.11

hummybee

Hi all

FOX T2 delivered from Humax Direct and all appears ok so far.

Have changed the Remote to use 'channel' 2 so it doesn't clash with my existing unit.

The 'new' unit is using firmware 1.03.11 update 10 DEC 2013 (NOT 1.03.06) so is it still ok to install CF HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.06_mod_2.21?

Will it revert to 1.03.06?

Loader is a7.34, MICOM 9.3, aerial in/out connections are horizontal so not the using the latest tuners (not sure if that's good or bad) and latest/updated Portal with Apps store and new iPlayer UI.

Can anyone help please.

Nobody has yet tried downgrading a box which came with 1.03.11.
I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work but there remains a risk of breaking the box. There also isn't currently any way to go back to 1.03.11 should it be necessary.

If you do decide to install HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.06_mod_2.21 then it will automatically downgrade to 1.03.06 but will leave some of the 1.03.11 components intact and it would be good to get copies of those if you are willing. It would open the possibility of extracting 1.03.11 from another box too.

Hi af123

The unit only arrived today so I'm still setting it up to my liking and making sure all is well and it is a keeper (particularly as I'm still in the process of returning the faulty one)

If all is well, before I decide whether or not to install HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.06_mod_2.21 can you please let me know exactly what I would need to do so you can get copies of the 1.03.11 components that are left.

Older Custom Firmware use to be 'overlaid/added' to the appropriate Official Firmware. Is this still an option/way around this.

When you say there is ' a risk of breaking the box' would this be irreversible or a matter of waiting for you to build and issue a CF update then reinstall to get the box working again.

If you do decide to install HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.06_mod_2.21 then it will automatically downgrade to 1.03.06 but will leave some of the 1.03.11 components intact and it would be good to get copies of those if you are willing. It would open the possibility of extracting 1.03.11 from another box too.

Does that mean as long as we have two samples of installed 1.03.11, and one of those is willing to risk installing CF, you can clone a 1.03.11 HDF?

Older Custom Firmware use to be 'overlaid/added' to the appropriate Official Firmware. Is this still an option/way around this.
That is still the case. However, now we have more knowledge of the changes that occur between the official firmware updates, it is clear that some or all of the differences are confined to sections of the firmware that the CF overwrites - the consequence being that in some cases just installing the relevant CF also changes the issue of the standard firmware.

When you say there is ' a risk of breaking the box' would this be irreversible or a matter of waiting for you to build and issue a CF update then reinstall to get the box working again.
It is likely that, if downgrading to 1.03.06 broke something, when we have a cloned 1.03.11 you will be able to install it (CF not required) to get the Humax working again. No absolute guarantees though, at your own risk. It doesn't seem very likely that it will break though, as long as the new version hardware is not downgraded lower than 1.03.06, or the hardware is old version.

Does that mean as long as we have two samples of installed 1.03.11, and one of those is willing to risk installing CF, you can clone a 1.03.11 HDF?
Yes. Last time, with 1.03.06, a fair few people installed the latest CFW directly on top of it without installing an official release first. That gives access to things that are needed to confirm the extraction process on another untouched box.

This this being an old-hardware box with a known loader version, the worst that should happen is that you need to install an official release (most likely 1.02.32) to get it working again.

If all is well, before I decide whether or not to install HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.06_mod_2.21 can you please let me know exactly what I would need to do so you can get copies of the 1.03.11 components that are left.
You just need to run a diagnostic through the web interface diagnostics screen or via the telnet menu. That would extract the components and automatically upload them.

Hi af123

Overall, is my new 'old hardware' box (with separate tuners) better, worst or about the same as one with the new firmware?

OK af123

Please confirm:-

I need to install HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.06_mod_2.21.

Add the web interface.

What Diagnostics do I need to run?

Do I then Copy Paste and Post the result?

Anything else?

Overall, is my new 'old hardware' box (with separate tuners) better, worst or about the same as one with the new firmware?
About the same. The only possible difference is the performance of the tuners and, based on the reports I've seen, they're about the same in terms of tuning speed but perhaps a slightly lower signal level from the same feed.

OK af123

Please confirm:-

I need to install HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.06_mod_2.21.

Add the web interface.

What Diagnostics do I need to run?

Do I then Copy Paste and Post the result?

Anything else?

I'll PM you the name of the diagnostic. It shouldn't produce much output - the extracted files will be uploaded for me.

As you may be aware, firmware version 1.03.11 has appeared on a couple of refurbished HDR/GB units from Humax Direct. Thanks to hummybee and XRS this has been extracted, and a customised version of 1.03.11 is available for those who wish to try it on their machines.

I have tested it on my HDR-T2s and can't see any problems and have done a quick analysis of what has changed from the previous release. The only significant change that is immediately evident is an improved built-in hard disk check routine. It appears that it will now automatically fix some hard disk problems (in a similar way to fix-disk does, although it isn't anywhere near as thorough).

It's early days so try it at your own risk. Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B5Zpl00iyRjpcGJvLXJid3Etc3c

It can be installed directly over any existing custom firmware version which is based on official 1.02.28 or above.

If you use Remote Scheduling or the dlna-servername package, these must be upgraded to the latest version before they will work properly with this firmware.

Back