Channel 4 HD Leaving Freesat Thu 22 Feb 2018!

I don't think C4HD has left freesat yet (even though they said it would leave yesterday).
It's still showing in its usual Freesat slot - but the EPG only goes up to the end of today (friday).

So I suspect Sat is when it'll actually go - and we'll find out whether it's staying FTA.
It's gone from Freesat from both my Foxsat-HDRs but still available on non-Freesat. If you have a Foxat-HDR, did you leave it in standby? If not, C4 HD will be removed from your box at the next Housekeeper boot.

I'm working on an update to Remote Scheduling for Foxsat-HDR that will allow you to schedule recordings for C4 HD non-Freesat through Remote Scheduling Portal.

How odd!
I have a FOXSAT-HDR with custom firmware (v 4.1.3)

Just checked and it's still there on slot 126 as normal.
I noticed earlier in the week when the news broke that my C4HD EPG was filled in up until 6am Sat morning, but not beyond and that's still the case.
So I suspect it'll go by tomorrow morning.

Strange that my box is different - anyone else still got it on freesat?

How odd!
I have a FOXSAT-HDR with custom firmware (v 4.1.3)

Just checked and it's still there on slot 126 as normal.
I noticed earlier in the week when the news broke that my C4HD EPG was filled in up until 6am Sat morning, but not beyond and that's still the case.
So I suspect it'll go by tomorrow morning.

Strange that my box is different - anyone else still got it on freesat?
But was it in standby this morning 03:00? Which value is shown for WebIf Settings System Information "Last housekeeping boot"?

Ah - for some reason looks like it hasn't done a housekeeping boot for a few days

> Last housekeeping boot : Tue Feb 20 03:00:17 GMT 2018

Does that mean if we can prevent the box doing housekeeping we could keep C4HD at 126? (Any idea how?)
Or is there any way the CF could be patched so as to keep the channel?

The fact that it's happened on my box implies that should be possible.

Ah - for some reason looks like it hasn't done a housekeeping boot for a few days
That would explain why the channel wasn't removed.
Does that mean if we can prevent the box doing housekeeping we could keep C4HD at 126? (Any idea how?)
The box needs the Housekeeping boot for populating the EPG and other things.
Or is there any way the CF could be patched so as to keep the channel?
The channel is still there in non-Freesat mode (LCN 5205 on my box but it's box-specific). I'm extending Remote Scheduling for Foxsat-HDR to enable you to schedule recordings against this.

Ok - that makes sense.

No idea why my box didn't housekeep. Maybe I'd left it on by accident.

Sounds like as long as the channel stays available in non-freesat mode it's not too big an issue.

To clarify the situation:
- to watch C4HD live you have to switch to non-freesat mode - so doable but a bit fiddly.
- to record C4HD you can use the web interface to schedule a manual recording - or (soon) use Remote Scheduling

Is that right?

No idea why my box didn't housekeep. Maybe I'd left it on by accident.
Perhaps it was recording something?
- to watch C4HD live you have to switch to non-freesat mode - so doable but a bit fiddly.
When you perform a manual tuning for non-Freesat channels you'll be able to "import" it into Freesat mode using the Channel Editor and watch the channel in Freesat mode. I'll provide documentation when I upgrade RS for Foxsat-HDR.
- to record C4HD you can use the web interface to schedule a manual recording - or (soon) use Remote Scheduling
Correct and there are no limitations in terms of watching/recording Freesat and non-Freesat channels at any given time, apart from the usual requirements for compatibility if your Tuner 2 is looped from Tuner 1.

Great.
So will it be possible for the remote scheduling portal to use the C4 SD EPG to populate the C4HD (non freesat) channel?
Or give you the option when you schedule a C4SD recording to actually record the HD version.
That would be awesome.

Yet another reason why a hackable box is so much better.

So will it be possible for the remote scheduling portal to use the C4 SD EPG to populate the C4HD (non freesat) channel?
Exactly, same thing for CNN, Bloomberg and Al Jazeera. First version will probably be hard coded to these channels, next version could potentially be customizable.

When I just switched my Sammy TV to Freesat, the Ch 126 showed correctly, but when I selected it, it went to Ch127 and when I selected the EPG, 126 had gone.

To clarify the situation:

Is that right?

Yes, but if you have the custom firmware and add the channel editor within that, after adding the non-freesat version of C4HD you can move it to the freesat list, so no need to switch!

To schedule a recording, I now schedule on the SD channel then edit the schedule to change to the HD channel, will find out if there is any downside to that with series.

Last edited:
To schedule a recording, I now schedule on the SD channel then edit the schedule to change to the HD channel, will find out if there is any downside to that with series.

That seems like a good idea but how do you edit the scheduled event?
When I click on the "more" button I can see edit but it's greyed out on all events.

I suspect that the SD series CRID will be different from the HD series CRID (at least is should be) so the edited timer will sit there waiting for a signal to start recording that never arrives. Unless you mean you edit it to be a fixed time recording possibly with padding?

Correct and there are no limitations in terms of watching/recording Freesat and non-Freesat channels at any given time, apart from the usual requirements for compatibility if your Tuner 2 is looped from Tuner 1.
I might have been too quick here - it seems that it's only possible to record up to one non-Freesat channel at any given time. At least on a looped tuner setup. I have asked for clarification from the experts in a different thread.

Series recording will not work as you can only use a manual recording as the required CRID codes are carried on the epg. However I guess you can use a repeating pattern to record with suitable padding to start and end times. This will not follow , start times

The two recordings have to be in the same band (High/Low) and use the same polarisation (vertical/horizontal). Only tuner 1 has lnb control when using a single feed. The software knows what it is possible to schedule and won't let you set a impossible recording. You will have to manually check this for the non-freesat channel.

List in .htm format here.

https://www.adrive.com/public/t3jBkt/FoxsatStaticMK2_011.htm

Open it in any browser. Channel 4 HD is low band vertical polarisation.

Try recording BBC 2 HD and non freesat Channel 4 HD at the same time.

The two recordings have to be in the same band (High/Low) and use the same polarisation (vertical/horizontal). Only tuner 1 has lnb control when using a single feed. The software knows what it is possible to schedule and won't let you set a impossible recording. You will have to manually check this for the non-freesat channel.

List in .htm format here.

https://www.adrive.com/public/t3jBkt/FoxsatStaticMK2_011.htm

Open it in any browser. Channel 4 HD is low band vertical polarisation.

Try recording BBC 2 HD and non freesat Channel 4 HD at the same time.
I'm fully aware of this for Freesat channels but it seems that recording non-Freesat channels is more restrictive. Two non-Freesat channels I'm trying to record at the same time are indeed compatible, which can be verified by viewing one non-Freesat channel whilst the other non-Freesat channel is recording. For instance, if I want to record non-Freesat C4 HD and at the same time record non-Freesat Bloomberg HD, WebIf doesn't allow me. If I record something off Freesat BBC2 HD I can watch non-Freesat C4 HD and non-Freesat Bloomberg HD, which proves that these two non-Freesat channels are compatible.

WebIf is not aware of whether the tuners are looped or not, that's why we have an extended setting for RS.

I'm fully aware of this for Freesat channels but it seems that recording non-Freesat channels is more restrictive. Two non-Freesat channels I'm trying to record at the same time are indeed compatible, which can be verified by viewing one non-Freesat channel whilst the other non-Freesat channel is recording. For instance, if I want to record non-Freesat C4 HD and at the same time record non-Freesat Bloomberg HD, WebIf doesn't allow me. If I record something off Freesat BBC2 HD I can watch non-Freesat C4 HD and non-Freesat Bloomberg HD, which proves that these two non-Freesat channels are compatible.

WebIf is not aware of whether the tuners are looped or not, that's why we have an extended setting for RS.

That's because all 3 are low band vertical. It's purely down to whatever transponder tuner 1 is that determines the subset that tuner 2 can use. The same restriction applies to freesat channels.

If you set the recordings directly on the box for the two non freesat channels

If you set Bloomberg and Channel 4 HD on the box rather than using the webif do they then both record ?

Back