Channel 4 HD Leaving Freesat Thu 22 Feb 2018!

Hi,

A little bit off topic. I have 80% video data on my 1TB internal drive. I am looking to ftp it to my PC in readiness to transfer to the T2 box. However, FTP is extremely slooooow! Is there a quicker transfer method?

Cheers.
Dead right it's off topic! Why didn't you ask it in a new topic???

You need to know that the Foxsat sidecar files are not compatible with HDR-FOX playback.

Do not be alarmed or let all this 'bickering' put you off, it is commonplace on this forum and generally taken in the light-hearted manner? in which it is meant.

No worries!!
All I know is I'm very happy with my customised FoxSat - it's great just being able to record in HD and not having to worry about encryption (or unencryption or decryption or any type of cryption)!

Once something has been declassified it is no longer classified and thus [is now] unclassified. Makes perfect sense.

When a document is declassified its status becomes a declassified document to signify it once was a classified one, the only documents that can be unclassified are those that always have been. ;)

Sorry guys! Very lazy of me. Thanks for all the help. Real shame about C4HD. Makes me wonder how 4K will ever get started!

Depends how close you sit to it.
Get a foot away from my 489" 48" and you can see a hell of a difference between HD and SD, bot move to my normal viewing distance of 12 feet and the difference is just about noticeable, and my Mrs. who sits closer, cannot see any difference.
But the 4K demo from the sat is really super, even at a foot away.

Last edited:
Getting back to topic, recording seems to be working fine and managed to record C4HD and BBC1HD at the same time no problems (using a manual event).
Two minor inconveniences:
- The resulting file can't be converted with the convertfiles plug in (says missing .htm file). Any way round this?
- My recordings have the locked flag on - ie you need enter a pin to watch it. Easy to remove using the webif - but I wonder why they're locked.

Have you tried streaming a non-freesat recording, the main audio track may well be the one that plays ? I don't use PG settings so not sure why you get the issue.

Well that's it then back to Freeview with my next box. Massive blow for Freesat a major HD channel being taken off. It's rather embarrassing and will certainly put any potential new customers right off. I have a second foxsat in my bedroom that I keep switched off until I need it because the house keeping duties it performs kept waking me up. I don't use it that much so not bothered about it updating all the time. I noticed yesterday that Ch4 HD is still there working fine but without any EPG, but the box downstairs which is always left on its gone. I can always set up recordings manually if needed but must remember to keep turning the box off!

Have you tried streaming a non-freesat recording, the main audio track may well be the one that plays ?

I've tried streaming to my Raspberry Pi and it does indeed play the correct one so it's not a big deal. Just that if I transfer the file it still has the AR track in position 1.
So would be nice to get convertfiles to work but isn't a deal-breaker.
Is there a way to get convertfiles to work without the .hmt file or to generate a suitable file for the recording?

I don't use PG settings so not sure why you get the issue.
Neither do I so I was surprised to find my C4HD recordings locked.
I discovered that somehow the channel itself had become locked - hence all the recordings were too.
Probably just me pressing the wrong button at some point.

Just had a look via ftp and the C4HD recordings do have .hmt files but presumably they're missing some information which convertfiles needs?

You can generate a file without the problem AD track by opening the .ts in Tsmuxergui by opening the file and deselecting the MP2 AD audio track and remuxing to a .ts container. Because there is no video recoding it's a very quick operation.

You can generate a file without the problem AD track by opening the .ts in Tsmuxergui by opening the file and deselecting the MP2 AD audio track and remuxing to a .ts container. Because there is no video recoding it's a very quick operation.
Wow - that's one very handy bit of software.
Thanks for the tip.

You are welcome, used it for years. If you have a blu-ray burner you can join multiple camcorder files into a single file and create a recordable folder you can burn to a disk in a very short period. Same applies to HD files you have got from somewhere else. It's fast because it doesn't re-code content just changes the container format.

One more request: any manual C4HD recordings I make on the box are labelled as "Superfoods" - presumably that was the last ever item on the C4HD EPG.
Is there any way to clear that from the box (without doing anything drastic like a factory reset)?

I'd rather the recordings appeared with a generic title (eg channel and date).

It's not a big issue as I mostly set recordings with the webif which lets you set the title.
But if there's an easy way to clear Superfood from the memory that'd be nice.

Set a timer as normal from the EPG using the C4 SD channel. Then edit the timer to change the channel to C4 HD channel number you have added manually (5001 on my box) and to add padding. That should label the recording correctly.

Back