Coronavirus Lockdown Chat

Mine too!

However, I have found that if i twist the elastic round so it almost looks like a 'figure of 8', before a hook it behind the ear it does help. Perhaps because it pulls the mask a bit tighter.

Disregarding any other issues, criminals seek to conceal their identity but now that will become a norm. If the police are in the supermarkets enforcing mask-wearing there, they won't be in the streets protecting us from muggers (but they aren't anyway, and won't be in the supermarkets).

Social distancing has ‘gone through the window’. I really think that the majority don’t care any more.

Look at the funeral of Dame Vera Lynn. The streets were lined with young and old paying their respects. You could hardly put a pin between people. The police were there but doing sod all about it.

This is certainly not a dig a her funeral. Dame Vera Lynn was a National treasure and deserves a good send off.

If the police are in the supermarkets enforcing mask-wearing there
They can't, the supermarkets are private premises. The worst that can happen is the supermarket makes a formal complaint and the police (might) turn up in a few hours after the miscreant has left (and the supermarket has no power to detain). This is all utterly misguided and toothless.

So far as I'm concerned (in public as opposed to on premises), I shall definitely keep my distance from anyone wearing a mask: Who are they? What is their intention? And it's a bugger for anyone who relies on lip-reading.

Anyway, the Tesco I use has solved the problem of shoppers and pickers disregarding the one-way system: they've abolished the one-way system.

Last edited:
Latest stupidity from the USA is the malleable bit of metal that fits the mask around your nose picks up 5G so you 'breathe it in'.

Last edited:
Anyway, the Tesco I use has solved the problem of shoppers and pickers disregarding the one-way system: they've abolished the one-way system.
Good thing. Following an infector indoors, even at 2m, for any length of time is a risk. Far better to just pass them at, say, 1m for a few seconds once or twice while going round.

I wonder at the number of people who insist on saying, loudly, "good morning" or something as they pass me while walking - thus spitting at me. I keep my mouth shut and give a little wave to say 'hi'.

We need to resurrect that wartime poster: Loose talk costs lives, or whatever it was :)

Far better to just pass them at, say, 1m for a few seconds once or twice while going round.
That's basically what I've been doing.

FWIW last time I asked, a week or so ago now, there's been no case of CV19 in the local Sainsbury's shop floor staff despite their exposure.

Last edited:
The pikeys nicked it.
I think you might need to go on a diversity course.

:)
(Yes, I know you're not serious - or at least I hope not)

People who think stereotyping is un-woke need to open their eyes. Anyone living within range of a "travellers" encampment knows exactly what goes on, just as certain coloured persons need to stop playing the discrimination card when they are stopped more often under suspicion of carrying illegal substances.

I know you can't tar everybody with the same brush, but the statistics make it more likely.

I believe in diversity: the expectation that everyone is subject to and respectful of the same laws and standards wherever they come from.

I agree, but we'll still be following 50% of them.
Only if you're getting exactly the same shopping. When 'they' stop to peruse a shelf you don't need scoot past to wherever you need to go.
Like you normally would but keeping a bit farther away.

(Obviously there are occasions there's a bit of a jam when normally I'd squeeze through, but now I'll wait until I can go with clear space on both sides.)

Face coverings in shops in England to compulsory from 24 July.
Mixed messaging again. How come that it won't be compulsory for the shop workers? The staff filling up the shelves are in the shop, not behind screens. They don't distance and they can belch out their droplets everywhere. If you believe Gove they must be bad mannered. Either there is a danger from people breathing out or there isn't. The virus can't tell you are a member of the supermarket staff.
FWIW last time I asked, a week or so ago now, there's been no case of CV19 in the local Sainsbury's shop floor staff despite their exposure.
Not according to Matt Hancock. He said that "shop workers had suffered disproportionately and that 'the death rate of sales and retail assistants is 75% higher amongst men and 60% higher amongst women than in the general population'". I don't trust anything that Hancock says. When (not) answering questions in parliament he didn't seem to have a grip of his brief.

I can see a logic:
I can't. One infected shop worker could pass the virus on to loads of people - especially when you consider the lack of distance they keep from everybody. Don't forget these people are touching all of your food before you do. And, if you believe the latest utterings from various "scientists", a covering also protects the wearer. (BTW I'm very sceptical of this covering stuff. I just find this mixed messaging a bit annoying. Everyone in a shop wears a face covering or no-one wears one. Simples.)

One infected shop worker could pass the virus on to loads of people
Extremely unlikely. Most of the checkouts are behind screens now and you don't normally get talked at by the shelf stackers. (I do sometimes ask one where to find [obscure item SWMBO has put on shopping list], but I do so from a few feet away.)
And you aren't in proximity of any of them for long enough to inhale enough by indirect means (ie. 'airborne').
If you are worried about surface transmission then you are of course cleaning all your purchases when you get home anyway, so that's a non-issue.

OTOH, for a shop worker on an 8 hour shift they might be in proximity for a short time of a number of infected customers, so their risk is that number higher than yours.

If you are worried about surface transmission then you are of course cleaning all your purchases when you get home anyway, so that's a non-issue.
I'm that worried I keep forgetting to wash my hands let alone the purchases.

Back