Coronavirus Lockdown Chat

There's a clip on the BBC News website from the US with a youngish bloke saying (roughly) "The virus won't affect me much, so why should I bother ... and anyway I think it's man-made."

Well, Novichok is man-made, so I'm not sure that's a good reason to think it can't harm you.

Were people always this stupid and selfish? Or is it just modern media means we can see it more?

There's a clip on the BBC News website from the US with a youngish bloke saying (roughly) "The virus won't affect me much, so why should I bother ... and anyway I think it's man-made."

Well, Novichok is man-made, so I'm not sure that's a good reason to think it can't harm you.

Were people always this stupid and selfish? Or is it just modern media means we can see it more?
They have always been that stupid and selfish but the advent of the internet and social media has given them the confidence to come out and admit it by showing them that they are not alone and may even be part of a majority.

* I'm not saying I did, but I'm the next generation and we were still recovering from it. The subsequent generations are just plain soft. Save our Christmas? Why? What's so special about it you can't go without for a year? When I were young, Christmas was an orange and a couple of walnuts in a stocking (no, I am not joking).
Wot, no socks? Ours was a tangerine, maybe two.

We couldn't afford socks. One acorn, if you were lucky, but you had to chase it...

Medical school is a safe option. Kids are demanding microscopes as presents.

So SWMBO is self-isolating and I went to Tescos today for some stuff. On the list was a wedding card and wrapping paper for one of her colleagues at work.
Plenty of Christmas paperwork.
Plenty of birthday, etc, stuff.
Quite a few christening cards.
Zero wedding wrapping and zero wedding cards :mad:

But there was a decent selection of 'Sorry for your loss' cards. Sign of the times I guess :eek:

Shouldn't you be self-isolating as well?
First they said yes, then they said no :dunno:

She was in a hospital for an outpatient procedure ... I assume they think they may have given her Covid19.
However, if I spend more than 10 seconds within 2m of anyone I'm generally moving on anyway. I don't browse in supermarkets, I hit the list and get the f*** out asap. (That's not a Covid thing - just me generally.)

First they said yes, then they said no
Having had to peruse the Nottingham University Hospitals website over the last week, I can tell you that on the top of every page it says (my emphasis) :
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust said:
If you have symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) – a high temperature, a new continuous cough, or a loss of, or change in, your normal sense of smell or taste (anosmia) – the advice is to stay at home for 10 days. All members of this household should remain at home for 14 days.
Only you know what advice you've been given.
I don't browse in supermarkets, I hit the list and get the f*** out asap. (That's not a Covid thing - just me generally.)
I used to be like that, but the supermarket has a habit of moving stuff around so I can't find it - so I have to browse. Sometimes there is a blockage down one aisle and I have to go around and come back (there isn't a one-way system). The other day I tried the new Aldi nearby (within walking distance) and had to browse because I'd no idea where anything was - possibly because Aldi have stopped selling some of the items I was looking for.

Only you know what advice you've been given.
From an NHS page: "people you live with do not need to self-isolate if you do not have symptoms"

It's actually more complicated. She had to have a Covid19 test a few days before the procedure and isolate between then and 'the day'. That was when she was first told we should isolate too, but then, no, only her. This was presumably to avoid her bringing it into the hospital.
After the procedure she was told to isolate for a week, but talking to her again today this is apparently because her immune system may have been affected by the anaesthetic, etc, so it's not a good time to be infected. So a different reason from before.

Two different sets of advice from the NHS. Tell me this isn't a government foul up.
Mind you, if SWMBO is not self-isolating because she has symptoms or has tested positive that probably is different. Could be my confusion. I'd assumed that Mrs MikeSh was self isolating because she'd got it!

Back