Coronavirus Lockdown Chat

Well, most of us will be getting the AZ/Oxford jab which means we'll still have a 30% ish chance of getting it.
And the experts say we'll all be living with some level of restrictions till at least the autumn, despite the vaccination programme.
(And I'm not keen on needles being stuck in me.)
So I'm not going to get too excited about a week or few either way of when I get the shot. :)

Yes, but if you get it, after the OAZ jab, you won't be seriously ill and won't be killed by it!

I get implants and blood tests all the time, no phobia about needles any more.

Living on the Isle of Wight where the infection rate has gone from one of the lowest to one of the highest in the country, I would rather a 30 pct chance of catching it than a 100 pct chance.
I will still be only venturing out for half an hour per week shopping plus a 30 minute brisk walk each day and maintaining my 'paranoia' of everyone...

That assumes your probability is 100% of catching it to start with. A 70% efficacy means that if your chances of getting it before were 1 in 10, or 10 in 100, they will reduce to 0.3 in 10, or 3 in 100 afterwards.

But indications are that of those 3, none will have a severe infection, is that right?

I loved the first Indian to be vaccinated, who today said he felt better already. Mentally, I am sure that must have been true.

I loved the first Indian to be vaccinated, who today said he felt better already. Mentally, I am sure that must have been true.

I am 56yo and not in any 'high risk' category. To my surprise. I received a text message from my doctors surgery yesterday at 14:00 inviting me to book for the Covid vaccination. It gave me a link to an NHS site where I booked my vaccination. I made an appointment for this morning, 08:30. It all 'ran like clockwork'. I was really surprised how efficient it all was. I was back home at 09:00 and vaccinated with the AZ Ox vaccine.

I felt like I had won the lottery, the feeling was something I wasn't expecting. Relief and the thought that perhaps we can now find a way out of this Covid mess.

And perhaps they can start by dishing them out in the order decreed by HMG.
But who would expect that to work with the current HMG and health service England or whatever the F up merchants name is

The NHS is planning to roll-out a vaccine against covid-19 across England by the end of April.

The Health Service Journal is today reporting that the whole adult population will be able to begin receiving a covid jab before the end of January - dependent on the arrival of supplies.

Under the plan, everyone who wants to would have been vaccinated by early April.

The HSJ has seen a copy of NHS England's draft covid-19 vaccine deployment programme, which states when different age groups are likely to be offered a vaccine.

The HSJ reports that the dates pencilled in for beginning each group are:

• Care home residents and staff, healthcare workers - from beginning of December
  • Ages 80 plus - from mid-December
  • Everyone aged 70-80 - from late December
  • Everyone aged 65-70 - from early January
  • All high and moderate risk under 65s - from early January
  • Everyone aged 50-65 - from mid January
  • Everyone aged 18-50 - from late January; but with the bulk of this group vaccinated during March

Exactly my point.
I am 79 and haven't been 'offered' yet. See what I mean about piss ups and breweries.
And the list quoted above is not the same as that on the current NHS website, which puts Wallace at 8th and me at 3rd in line.
My only point is the one i referred to above.

I think BH is correct. I have a 65yo brother who is type one diabetic and is most certainly in the high risk group. He is registered with a different medical practice than me and hasn’t heard a peep from them regarding his vaccination.

Our GP surgery is so rubbish at organising the flu jabs they I get that from the chemist.
Probably be the same with the C19 vaccine ... :rolleyes:

Possibly, but I think the list is wrong. But is probably as good as any.
Look on yhr nhs website.

Possibly, but I think the list is wrong. But is probably as good as any.
Look on yhr nhs website.
That page with the list was created by that site on the 20th November. It was more like a draft list and was still being worked on for confirmation of feasibility, the priority groups, and vaccine approval dates and confirmation of pre-purchased vaccine delivery dates.

So ...
Would you vaccinate a 50 year old smoker before a 65 yo non-smoker?

(Those named Solomon should refrain from answering :) )

For reasons of public health, I would say the former would have the greater impact on the basis they are more likely to be gregarious and expose themselves to greater public contact.

Back