[custom-portal] Custom TV Portal

Hi

Not sure if the right place, but I wonder if it is possible via the Custom TV Portal to access the Spotify Service?

Sorry if this ios not the right place for such queries!

Cheers

Andrew

I'm pretty sure this will be a non-runner, as Spotify uses a dedicated program to access the service on a PC (and presumably any other supported platform). You would have to persuade them to compile their app to run on the Humax, using the Humax user interface and restricted to the RAM/processing power available. Little doubt the streams they use are encrypted with their own keys.

I don't see why this query wasn't made in the existing Custom Portal topic though.

I'm pretty sure this will be a non-runner, as Spotify uses a dedicated program to access the service on a PC (and presumably any other supported platform). You would have to persuade them to compile their app to run on the Humax, using the Humax user interface and restricted to the RAM/processing power available. Little doubt the streams they use are encrypted with their own keys.

Thanks Black Hole, I knew someone would have a reasonable answer.
I don't see why this query wasn't made in the existing Custom Portal topic though.

Sorry, I didn't realise there was a specific topic for the custom TV portal, I mistakenly assumed they were they same as you need the Custom Firmware to get the Custom TV Portal, my mistake. :eek:

Is it possible for someone to point me in the 'right direction' for explicit instructions on how to add a link to the custom tv portal..?

I'm more than willing to put the time and effort into doing it for myself, but I'm struggling to get of the starting blocks...

I understand that test pages are located in mod/var/mongoose/html/portal/ but where are they, what do I have to do to them and how do I edit them..?

appreciated, thanks.

Add a link to a new page or create a new section? Not sure on what you mean.
The code is HTML and Jim so it might take a while to understand if you are new to coding.
I've not had any time to look at it myself since Xmas due to a number of things unfortunately.

If you go back several pages, i posted some example code to be used in one of the test pages that can be used to stream a file.
From there, you're on your own at the moment as i havent got any time to dedicate to it at present.

Yeah Chris, I dont have the time OR the knowledge. I will have a look someday, but its only mp4 streams that work? Grooveshark is a flash website (I think) that streams audio. I guess im just wondering is it posible before i start trying to code something!

http://grooveshark.com

ok thanks chris, understood...

Sorry, got a problem already, everything up and running webif, samba, ftp etc, etc but I can't see the mod/var/mongoose/html/portal/ folder..?

In fact it won't let me see anything other than the media folder, either using ftp or samba..?

Yeah Chris, I dont have the time OR the knowledge. I will have a look someday, but its only mp4 streams that work? Grooveshark is a flash website (I think) that streams audio. I guess im just wondering is it posible before i start trying to code something!
The problem is having built-in support for whatever encoding is supplied from the server. As things stand everything the standard portal copes with is supplied as MP4, so making a custom link to something else is only a case of making it send and then letting the native facilities decode it and send it to the video buffers, and a lot of that is done in dedicated hardware.

Finding a way to receive data in some other format, decode it in limited software processing power, and (somehow) get the output down the HDMI interface is a whole new ball game. I realise you're talking audio, but the same principle applies.

@fattakin, best having a look at the Humax radio app and seeing what format that can take.. i'm pretty sure it will be mp3.

If the files you want to stream are mp3, then just have a play amending that, but if the audio is in flash (.flv or .fla i think) then you'll have to build a plugin as the box wont understand those formats natively.

Hi guys, great job on the custom portal, I'm impressed with it's slickness!
Can someone please let me know of there is any plans to change the skyplayer to skygo
Or indeed if this is possible?

The reason I ask it that i was using skygo on my laptop and I had a few additional channels (ESPN and sky1) compared to the skyplayer on the custom portal.

Jimbotron, still no sign of the official skygo app on the Humax yet - it was in beta last year and i think the Custom one is more or less using that. There are hopes we'll see the official launch in the rumored next update. But im gathering my info from here so its like Chinese whispers!

I wonder will sky's new IP TV be supported on the Hummy?

Ideas for budding app writers:

iPlayer using the PS3 User Agent,
YouTube using the leanback theme,
ITV Player (there is an iPhone/iPad version which will use mp4 video streams),
4OD Player (there is an iPhone/iPad version which will use mp4 video streams),
5OnDemand Player,
Revision3 Video Player (mp4 video streams available),
a Twitter app that keeps TV fullscreen (think Question Time with live tweets)

Ohhhhh have you any idea how much this wishlist is the holy grail??? It would a make a lot of people happy lol!
But isnt it bad that we have to get it developed when other machines have some as standard.....

It certainly is, but then I think the YouView project is to blame for the slow development.

If you read their website, their system will allow custom applications, to be written and installed, and with Humax being a major partner, the hardware specs will obviously be a bit better than the T2. With it due to launch at some point this year, Humax will have probably moved the majority of developers to work on that instead so they can be first out the door to capitalise on their investment (same as what they did with the T2).

Its just a shame they don't employ more developers (or outsource it) so that we dont feel like we're left with a half finished beta portal.
At the minute, it all feels like a bit of an afterthought with iPlayer being the only main reason for the portal's existance (with the BBC having funded the development).

Back