[custom-portal] Custom TV Portal

Last night I thought I'd have a quick play with the custom portal and building my own pages.

Whenever I try to put the files back on to the humax box I get a server 500 error, complaining about invalid headers.

I've used Dreamweaver and Filezilla to download and upload the files.
I also tried downloading a file then uploading it without opening it and I get the same thing so it's not the editing that doing it.

Any ideas?

Its probably .jim related.

When this portal started out it was just html files. Now, its wrapped up with jim too so we can use localhost to view/debug the pages easier as well as use scripts already made for the webif (system info for example).
It does make it a bit more complex at first however.

A workaround for you in the meantime would be to change the index.jim links to point directly to your html file.
If you have edited the index.jim however, you may have inadvertanly added in a character that confuses jim.

If you PM me your index.jim file or whichever file is erroring out, i'll take a look for you.

So what is jim exactly? a server side language?
I'm actually a PHP developer and know my way around html, javascript and css too but I haven't come across jim before.
I don't have any code at the mo, I was just testing to see what could be done.

The only thing I changed in the index page was updating the test1.jim the link to my test.jim file.
I also tried changing the text in the test1.jim and got the same error.
I had to remove then install the custom portal to get it back as uploading the original also produced errors.

Do you normally just FTP the files to the humax box?

Jim is a TCL language. I dont know too much about it, but there is a link to the manual at the bottom of the webif page.
Yeah i work over ftp. If you study the test1.jim file you should see the subtle difference between that and a normal html file.

Basically, jim is creating the html code as it loads in the browser.

Do you normally just FTP the files to the humax box?

I usually edit the files on-box with vi. I suspect that your editor is converting all of the newlines to DOS ones when you save the file again, and then it won't run on the server. Ideally use an editor which is UNIX newline safe.

How would one go about adding something like the rte player to the Custom Portal. They have an International Version for countries outside of Ireland:

http://www.rte.ie/player/#

I know Chris is going to reply that its time to learn how to code. I'll give it a shot, a close friend is a bit of a coder. What do I need?

I did a bit of TCL at uni (that sounds a bit wrong!) I might try and brush up on it it I get some time.
I'll try building a pure html page and see how that goes.
I know dreamweaver has an option to change newlines from /r/n to just /n I'll try that too.

Thanks

How would one go about adding something like the rte player to the Custom Portal. They have an International Version for countries outside of Ireland:

http://www.rte.ie/player/#

I know Chris is going to reply that its time to learn how to code. I'll give it a shot, a close friend is a bit of a coder. What do I need?
If that URL points to an hbbtv app, then you can just add the URL to the list near the top of /mod/var/mongoose/portal/index.jim - that's a file on the Humax's disk.

@fattakin, first thing you'll need are some .mp4 streams. The version you linked to is all flash based.
Once you have those, then yes, its time to learn some html. And then some jim. ;)

Start off like Zico above with the test files. Try and get a handle on how they differ from normal html.
You can edit directly on the box as af123 stated above with vi, or over FTP with a notepad editor if you so wish.

The best way for me was to build in normal html first. Then figure out how to adapt it for jim.
Once you get into it though, you get to work out how its done.

hi newby here, i installed the new modified firmware 1.14 and the custom portal firm ware, i have a sky player login and signed in on the portal all the sky player loads but when i try to watch it comes up with error code 0202 and will not let me watch anything , have checked on sky go website and my humax is registered device, also after coming out of portal i can not change channels using numbered buttons , any ideas please
chris

Hi, Chris. I have just tried my box and I am seeing the number button problem. TV Portal button does not respond either.
All other buttons work.
Sky player is working. I can watch the sample channel.
I do not have a solution, but at least you now know you are not alone.

Switching off (Standby) and switching on again using the remote puts things back to normal for me.

Pressing exit on the remote whilst in Sky Player locks my box.

Hi freelander, I have not seen this error code, but i am aware of the number button problem.
To fix the number button problem, as 4291 states, you need to reboot the box.

I do not have a login for SkyPlayer so I cannot really test it any further. There is an updated version of sky player hidden away on the box however, so maybe we could try using this one in a future version. For the time being, you will have to bear with it i'm afraid.

hi newby here, i installed the new modified firmware 1.14 and the custom portal firm ware, i have a sky player login and signed in on the portal all the sky player loads but when i try to watch it comes up with error code 0202 and will not let me watch anything , have checked on sky go website and my humax is registered device, also after coming out of portal i can not change channels using numbered buttons , any ideas please
chris
Hi Freelander,
Sounds like a similar issue to mine, i get an error 1701 when i try to play on demand content. Live Sky TV channels are ok. I was told it sounded like a network issue for me, but bearing in mind i can stream live tv with no issues i am not so sure.
Either way i am at least grateful to have a few sky tv channels thanks to my dad's log in lol

i have been on the sky website with the login i have ( from a very good friend ) it shows my humax box as registered , i can not get any on demand or live programmes as error code 0202 shows from sky player, , just hope someone comes up with an answer

Please bear in mind, the Sky Player has not been released officially by Humax or Sky, possibly due in part to bugs such as this.
People have had it working however as evidenced by the posts in this thread.

Your best bet would be to ask Sky for a list of their error codes & meanings to see what is wrong.

hi
i deleted the updates and then reinstalled still the same , will not even let me watch the sample channle, when i was running the beta software from humax with the sky player it ran great no problems at all

Back