humax# umount /dev/sda1
humax#
humax# e2fsk /dev/sda1
-/bin/sh: e2fsk: not found
humax#
humax#
humax#
humax#

This is the result of my last effort. The list is endless and I got fed up with pressing y

Connecting to 192.168.0.103:23
Connected.
humax# umount /dev/sda1
humax#
humax# e2fsck /dev/sda1
e2fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
BUFFALO contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Inode 8857 has EXTENTS_FL flag set on filesystem without extents support.
Clear<y>? yes

Inode 8858 has EXTENTS_FL flag set on filesystem without extents support.
Clear<y>?

This is the result of my last effort. The list is endless and I got fed up with pressing y
Try aborting the current e2fsck by pressing ctrl-c (it may take a litte while to clean up).

Then run 'e2fsck -y /dev/sda1'.

Thanks, xyz321. Using -y crashes my iPad. So after the initial message about Buffalo having errors I don't see anything else.
I have left the Humax running in Maintenance mode to see if anything happens without my intervention.

You've lost me there!:confused:
I have an App on my iPad called iTelnet. I use it to boot into HDR mode and have been using it to enter the commands which you have been supplying.
As you may know the iPad keyboard doesn't have a control key, but I now see that typing q would have quit without saving.

Using just plain e2fsck allowed me to keep pressing y to Fix or Clear, until I got fed up. Appending -y froze the iPad and nothing but a hard reset would unfreeze it.

Nothing I have done so far has restored the write capability, so it looks as if I will have to explore other methods.

You say you're confused. Not as much as I am. :confused:

If only I could remember where I put that GParted disc!
It sounds like your external disc has sector errors. I assume the Humax HD has a format command to setup an external disc to start with. Try formatting the disc with a windows system FAT32 or NTFS, doing a surface scan afterwards. Once it can be read by the Windows system connect it back to the HD and it should reformat it to ext2 or ext3 on its own.

The Humax formatting command gets no further than renaming, then it quits with a error message.

I have a notion that the problem is to do with the Custom Firmware install but I can't reinstall until the disk becomes writable again.

The Humax can see the HDD as a read only disk and can play all the recordings on there.

Thanks for your interest. If all else fails...

I have found the instructions that came the drive giving instructions on how to obtain an online manual. I will give that a look first to see if there is anything useful there.

If you are seeing lots of errors from e2fsk, then it is probable that there is a problem with the disk or its power supply. Is the disk powered from an external supply or via the Humax USB?

The Humax formatting command gets no further than renaming, then it quits with a error message.

I have a notion that the problem is to do with the Custom Firmware install but I can't reinstall until the disk becomes writable again.

The Humax can see the HDD as a read only disk and can play all the recordings on there.

Thanks for your interest. If all else fails...

I have found the instructions that came the drive giving instructions on how to obtain an online manual. I will give that a look first to see if there is anything useful there.

Are you using a powered external hard drive, or a usb-powered drive? It may be that the disk is drawing too much current for the Hummy to source, leading to the problems. This would lead to intermittent failures but it could appear to work absolutely fine on some other systems.

The Buffalo MiniStation HDD is powered from the USB socket. It has no other means of power.

If I hot swap it Webif sees all my files as normal. The next time I look I get DEC symbols.

My box uploaded its contents to the rs site this morning at 04:33 and everything was normal. Even recordings that I locked yesterday as a trial had the padlock.

The PDF manual wasn't much help. It mentions a Disk Formatter which I think was on the disk before the Humax format wiped it off. Formatting Fat32 with that was going to take 30 mins per 80 GiBs.

I don't have a powered USB hub as such. What I do have is a Targus laptop docking station which I might be able to use. It has two high-power USB2 ports.

If I can find the power supply and a USB lead A to B. Two big ifs. :)

OK! I've found them. I have connected up but see no difference. It was worth a try.

Well I finally got around to saving the recordings I wanted to save, then carried out a reformat to Fat32 using Ubuntu.

The Humax accepted the HDD and it formatted Ext3 and marked it for recording. The basic Webif installed (not from USB stick) and I was able to download the full interface, as per normal. Reinstalled the packages I wanted, so now everything is back as it was before the disk went read only. :)

Thanks to those who chipped in to help me overcome my problem. I afraid Chown and Sudo were beyond my ken.

Back