Customised HDF file released

I notice people are still saying USB drives must be formatted EXT2/3

Just to point out NTFS works just fine. I did discover however that you must format NTFS from a Linux OS.
There is something in windoze NTFS that seems to cause problems if you format with that.
Using the drive on widoze afterwards is no problem however.

Works fine for what? NTFS has always been readable by the Humax without mods, and the custom software has added support for writing, but I have yet to hear of anyone actually able to record to one.

The custom software runs with errors from a FAT32 drive, and is not expected to work properly from a NTFS drive even if core functions from the NTFS driver were moved from the custom packages into the custom firmware. These points are important for HD-FOX with no internal (Ext3) drive. To support recording and the custom software, HD-FOX users are recommended to use an external Ext3 drive (formatted by the HD-FOX), or for custom software only (no recording) a USB stick formatted Ext2.

Are you saying different?

I have tried to install the Customized Firmware on my HDR FOX T2 but seem to have fallen at the first hurdle! I have downloaded the latest firmware and loaded on my USB memory stick, followed the http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Install_Modified_Firmware instructions and got as far as Success Downloading! so assume all has worked ok. I have then followed the link to http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Install_Full_Web_Interface to load the Web Interface but find that when I put in the IP address of my Humax I cannot get a connection. Am I doing something wrong or missed a step somewhere.

OK I have done as you suggested and I have a FTP connection, I can see all the recorded programs. However, when I put the IP address into IE I get Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage, is this something to do with passwords?

Yes I have the correct IP address, this is a cut & paste of the address I am using: http://192.168.2.10/ I have now tried ftp://192.168.2.10 and it takes me to a User log in panel, enter user name humaxftp and password 0000 and bingo I can see the files. Is it possible that I havent loaded the customised firmware, how can I check

macgd016 & bixieupnorth

Getting FTP working will prove you can connect to the Humax but it will not prove the Custom Firmware is present because it won't let you view the Custom Firmware area. After 'Success Downloading' of the Custom Firmware you need to turn off the Humax (using the rear switch) wait 30 Secs. and turn back on. Then from a brouser enter 192.168.2.10 (your Humax IP address ) and you should get a web screen, If you don't I would start the process from scratch making sure you are using the correct Customised firmware

Oh dear I have been fik, I have read and re-read the instructions but for reasons that are entirly unclear to me I had downloaded the Official rather than Customised firmware. Any how thanks for all the help and support, all working now!

Next onto changing the channel line up so watch out for more stupid posts!

Works fine for what? NTFS has always been readable by the Humax without mods, and the custom software has added support for writing, but I have yet to hear of anyone actually able to record to one.

The custom software runs with errors from a FAT32 drive, and is not expected to work properly from a NTFS drive even if core functions from the NTFS driver were moved from the custom packages into the custom firmware. These points are important for HD-FOX with no internal (Ext3) drive. To support recording and the custom software, HD-FOX users are recommended to use an external Ext3 drive (formatted by the HD-FOX), or for custom software only (no recording) a USB stick formatted Ext2.

Are you saying different?

YES.
But this is a HDR Fox T2 thread not the HD Fox thread.
Sorry I've only recently seen this post and wanted the FTP comments to play out before responding.

NTFS works perfectly with the custom software. Reading/writing/playback AND plugging the drive back into windoze works perfectly (including scandisk/defrag operations and some undelete tools)
I have 3 drives with various partitions settings and one with a fat32 but I havnt tried that partition so wont comment on FAT appart from the obvious size issues.
But NTFS works just fine in all respects as I noted above.

I have never heard of anyone recording to any external hard disc no matter how formated either - nor did I suggest otherwise.
Since we're on the subject - it seems daft to me to format in EXT since you then loose windoze compatability (I assume)

Is there some reason to do so?

jack

@jack616, as noted above this is the custom software section which applies to both HD- and HDR-FOX, and if I remember correctly you said NTFS worked perfectly... which when applied to the HD-FOX context could be taken to imply recording.

The reason a drive needs to be formatted Ext2/3 in particular is to support the custom software (when hosted on an external drive), or indeed for recording (with the HD-FOX).

i'm pretty certain that i did download the latest cf for hdr-t2, but i'm gonna repeat the process from scratch and try again on saturday morning.
cheers for tips

redid all the steps, this time t2 didnt pick anything up from memory stick, presumably because i'd already done it, on the software page it def looks like i've got the latest custom firmware

frustrating stuff here!

tried again from scratch inc reformatting the memory stick to fat32, this time it did pick up the new firmware and i got the success downloading message

has the update date as 10 jun 2011, fhtcp 1.02.20, loader a7.30

is this right

webif update, exactly the bloody same, how can something that seems so simple go so wrong

please tell me what is going wrong with my feeble attempts someone??

Back