Customised HDF file released

I'd like to have the Humax support all file formats for playback over my network.

Would be good if you could get it to run itvplayer and 4od too.

I have copied recordings from the fox t2 to usb hard drive both sd and unencrypted hd. They play just fine on my computer. When I plugged the usb drive into my foxsat hdr the files come up as failed recordings and do not play at all, both hd and sd. Do I need to make any mods on the foxsat such as Raydon's. Or are the files incompatible?

I had a go with the "Foxy" download and it worked on an HD recording. Am I right in thinking the Humax can only write to FAT32 USB drives? The HD recordings are likely to be over the 4GB limit. Is there a way round this?

The answer is the Ext3 file system supported by Linux systems. I think the Humax can format the drive for you. I don't know what happens if you try to read it from Windows!

ntfs support added to the wishlist then :)

I am clearly missing the point here. The new version allows me to copy files unencrypted to and from the humax to my laptop across the network negating the need for USB as it has a virtual drive on the Humax. No need for usb or ntfs or ext3. Nice.

Thanks to a few pointers from xyz321, I've just uploaded webif 0.4 which fixes the GMT/BST problems and includes a couple of new features such as searching by content type (e.g. show all films).

The binary in mongoose is compiled without SSL support.. Mongoose does support SSL though so I could recompile it if you wish to run an SSL server. For redirecting the portal start page, we can look at doing another tweak to the firmware to move the start page to HTTP. We'd need to work out the details but it might be better than adding SSL overhead.

Firstly - thanks af123, superb job so far!

You're right about eliminating the SSL requirement, and if someone is going to produce a new portal page, perhaps it would it be a better idea to host it on the humax itself (so access it through localhost). All it really needs to do is provide some navigation off to iPlayer, YouTube (http://www.humaxtvportal.com/youtube) etc.

James - have you got a portal page working that responds to the remote control? (I think the current portal site uses http://www.humaxtvportal.com/Scripts/KeyEventHandle.js to map these commands). Let me know if you need a hand with it.

I have copied recordings from the fox t2 to usb hard drive both sd and unencrypted hd. They play just fine on my computer. When I plugged the usb drive into my foxsat hdr the files come up as failed recordings and do not play at all, both hd and sd. Do I need to make any mods on the foxsat such as Raydon's. Or are the files incompatible?
SD recordings made on the T2 are not directly compatible with the Foxsat HDR. You must run the .ts file from the T2 through AV2HDR to create the three files in the correct format. HD recordings are not compatible either, as the Foxsat does not support AAC encoded audio streams. You must convert the audio stream to MPEG1 layer 2 or Dolby AC3 first before processing with AV2HDR.

Rather than just let this thread grow and grow and keep switching topics, can I suggest that we start creating new threads relating to the customised firmware? For any potential new users, it must be a daunting thread to trawl through.

I'd suggest that we prefix threads relating to the modified firmware with something to identify that fact, I've just used Mod: for a new web interface thread.

I did post a suggestion for a separate sub-forum under Site/Forum Issues but the only response there suggested that it wouldn't be much of a problem to post alongside other HDR questions since the forums are fairly quiet. If you have any opinions regarding that could you post there? Depending on what people thing, I can ask whether a new forum can be created.

Can you still telnet to the box? (just wondering if the IP address has changed). If so, run the 'service' command to see if the web interface is running and set to start up at boot time. You're looking for the mongoose service.

Code:
humax# service

Name                Installed  Autostart  Running
----                ---------  ---------  -------
mongoose            Yes        Yes        Yes

If it isn't set to auto start then do:

Code:
humax# service start mongoose
humax# service auto mongoose

Thanks again af123, that got it working although it looks like (on my box at least) I always seem to find these services not running and have to start them manually. I do have the box set to got into auto standby via the standard menu option so I'm assuming its something to do with that. Not a problem really as at the moment I only ever need these when I've got the laptop out although I am having a play with dyndns to see if I can get to everything from anywhere else (so that when the web epg allows recordings to be set I can do them from work!!). Cheers, Jonesey

Thanks again af123, that got it working although it looks like (on my box at least) I always seem to find these services not running and have to start them manually. I do have the box set to got into auto standby via the standard menu option so I'm assuming its something to do with that. Not a problem really as at the moment I only ever need these when I've got the laptop out although I am having a play with dyndns to see if I can get to everything from anywhere else (so that when the web epg allows recordings to be set I can do them from work!!). Cheers, Jonesey

Jonesey,

Do you have an external hard drive plugged into the rear of the unit? I do and have noticed that the disc allocation changes (main hdd becomes /dev/sdb not sda) I guess because the firmware is designed to boot off the external USB first. Then all the scripts fall over and nothing gets started. I haven't yet figured out what to do about it, not having much spare time at the mo. I boot up without the external usb disc and then plug it in when I hear the internal drive spin up.

If I get any further I'll let you know.

Trevor

Jonesey,

Do you have an external hard drive plugged into the rear of the unit? I do and have noticed that the disc allocation changes (main hdd becomes /dev/sdb not sda) I guess because the firmware is designed to boot off the external USB first. Then all the scripts fall over and nothing gets started. I haven't yet figured out what to do about it, not having much spare time at the mo. I boot up without the external usb disc and then plug it in when I hear the internal drive spin up.

If I get any further I'll let you know.

Trevor

Hi Trevor - yes I do have an ext hdd plugged in on the rear usb (af123's virtual usb drive package needs a usb something plugged in to make it work). I think the firmware does look at the rear socket first as I had a problem updating the firmware off the front usb until I disconnected the one at the back. I'll try your workaround to see if I get the same effect and let you know.

Cheers

Jonesey

Jonesey,

I have the same issue (I have a drive plugged into the front USB). I need to start the box and then start the USB to see the custom firmware. Af123 is aware of the problem and hopefully we should see a version of the custom firmware that allows us to have the external USBs plugged in at all times.

Af123 is aware of the problem and hopefully we should see a version of the custom firmware that allows us to have the external USBs plugged in at all times.

Yes, sorry. I know how to fix it and just need a tuit or two to update the custom firmware. Will do it in the next few days.

I've uploaded version 1.07 (links are in the first post in this thread). The only change in this version is improvement and restructuring of the mod startup code; specifically to support proper startup of the HDR model with a USB drive connected but it also includes some optimisations to improve startup time and streamline package installation from USB.

I've uploaded version 1.07 (links are in the first post in this thread). The only change in this version is improvement and restructuring of the mod startup code; specifically to support proper startup of the HDR model with a USB drive connected but it also includes some optimisations to improve startup time and streamline package installation from USB.

Sorry af123 but it looks like my /media/virtual is mounted as /dev/sda1 which is what the external USB is mounted as (having left it in for boot-up) and shows exactly the same useage etc, but as 'ls' in that directory lists nothing.

All the other mod stuff works fine with everything still there. Was there something In missed?

Trevor

Sorry af123 but it looks like my /media/virtual is mounted as /dev/sda1 which is what the external USB is mounted as (having left it in for boot-up) and shows exactly the same useage etc, but as 'ls' in that directory lists nothing.

Do you have a /mod directory on the USB drive? If so, remove or rename it and restart the Humax and everything should be ok.

Do you have a /mod directory on the USB drive? If so, remove or rename it and restart the Humax and everything should be ok.

af123,

You're absolutely right, I do have a /mod on the external USB HDD. Will do what you have said, and thanks again for all your efforts. Well done.

Trevor

Back