Decrypting High def

inmcdonalds

Hi

I`m having a head scratching moment....

My goal is to stream by DLNA to my android tablet (or iphone or pc) all my recordings on my HDR-fox t2.

So far I have -

1) successfully installed the custom firmware to my humax
2) successfully installed the web-if
3) downloaded the package `auto-unprotect` and successfully installed.
4) Checked web-if and confirmed that the `Enc` label has been removed from all the HD files.

From my reaading of the wiki, this means that the HD files will be treated as SD files and therefore when I open up my DLNA player on Android, the HD files should be visible and playable. However, they aaren`t. Just the SD files are and they play fine.

so next thing I did was just to try to decrypt them on the humax...

If I go back into web-if and right click and select decrypt for a HD file, it decypts it and puts the label `dec` next to it (which i assume means its decrypted), and also creates a folder `original` and puts another file in there with similiar file name. I`m assuming this second file is the original, unencrypted file. Weirdly though, when I go back into my DLNA player, I can see this second file and what is more, it plays. The supposedly decrypted file is invisible.

What am I doing wrong?!?!?

Also, the relevant files have been indexed for DLNA according to the web-if .

I`m using custom firmware 3.10 build 2734. humax version 1.03.12

The only thing I can think of is if the new unprotected status of the HiDef recordings has not been updated in the DLNA index. If this was the case however, the in-place decryption would fail.

DLNA can be a quirky thing, made even worse when a client is also quirky. You should have better luck by routinely decrypting - see Things Every... (click) section 5 - and then using the HDR-FOX as if it is a NAS (install the samba package). This avoids the vagaries of DLNA.

Think you're right about the quirky dnla thing. I actually tried something different last night - I moved into a different folder, a hidef file which did not have the 'enc' label but had not been 'decrypted' specifically using the option on webif. It had been indexed on dnla as it had that label. Prior to the move it could not be seen by my Dnla client. After the move, it could. So you must need to move the file for it to be seen by the dlna client, even if it has the dnla index label attached to it. Haven't tried playing it yet but fingers crossed.

I'll check out that technique though cos the Dnla client is temperamental nevertheless.

Don't suppose there is a recommended list of dnla clients and video players for each platform that work well with humax and ts files?

Last edited:
I was going to suggest the move manoeuvre, but I couldn't see how it might improve the situation. It is known as a work-around for HDR-1800/2000T, which have no CF support for tweaking things. In theory, the move should not have achieved any more than the auto-unprotect package did. These results may imply something has changed and auto-unprotect needs updating (not impossible - we know the Beeb are marking some StDef programmes as protected, which they shouldn't be doing by rights).

As for a compatibility list, I don't think anything exists at present. You'll find some links to resources in the Miscellaneous section of my Glossary (click), and the relevant section of the Forum is https://hummy.tv/forum/forums/audio-video-file-manipulation.48/.

Do the HD files show the Green DNLA indexed icon on the webif display? You would not expect a DNLA client to see a file before it has been indexed on the Humax.

Indexing does not happen immediately after decrypting or renaming/moving a file but when the Humax software feels like running a scan. This seems to happen when the box wakes up from standby or when another recording completes.

I have found Skifta (DLNA client) and MX Player to work well on Android. Sometimes on my Nexus 7 (2013) playback of high def. content can be stuttery using the software decoder in MX Player. Changing to the 'HW+' decoder usually fixes this but not all recordings will play with the latter decoder. As Black Hole suggested it is easier to decrypt your content and share your video folder with Samba: all this can be set to run automatically. You can then open recordings using ES File Explorer, for example, or from you browser with webif: click on download and select MX Player to perform this function and it will stream the video to your tablet.

Yes they do have the green DNLA Indexed icon next to them yet cannot be seen. However if I then move them to a different folder they can be seen.

Actually, I think I had the idea to do this from a page on this site which said to move the files. I'll try to dig out the relevant link.

I can't post the link because I haven't posted enough on here but it is a webpage on this site titled : how-to-download-humax-files-to-pc-decrypted.436

Paragrsph 6 - Now move the target recording (with modified .hmt file) to a different folder orchange the name of all the files in that set (eg add a "_" at the end). This causes its original DLNA index entry to be invalidated and a new entry created - without the restriction flag which prevented its unrestricted streaming. The recording can be moved back to its original location (or it's file names restored) afterwards if desired.

So it looks like I had to move the file to invalidate a previously allocated Dlna entry which was preventing unrestricted streaming.

As another suggestion.
As Black Hole suggested it is easier to decrypt your content and share your video folder with Samba: all this can be set to run automatically.
Or are you one of the 'let's do it the hard way because we can' types:D;)

More like 'let's do it the hard way cos I'm to stupid to know the easy way'!

Although my initial problem has been solved with a bit of file moving, Dlna is glitchy at best and I can't even stream it to my Panasonic smart tv which states the files are unplayable. I'll try the samba method. what better way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon.

I can't post the link because I haven't posted enough on here but it is a webpage on this site titled : how-to-download-humax-files-to-pc-decrypted.436

Paragrsph 6 - Now move the target recording (with modified .hmt file) to a different folder orchange the name of all the files in that set (eg add a "_" at the end). This causes its original DLNA index entry to be invalidated and a new entry created - without the restriction flag which prevented its unrestricted streaming. The recording can be moved back to its original location (or it's file names restored) afterwards if desired.

So it looks like I had to move the file to invalidate a previously allocated Dlna entry which was preventing unrestricted streaming.
The above method is needed with the HDR-1800T and 2000T units, but not on the HDR-FOX. The auto-unprotect package clears the 'enc' flag in the hmt file and it updates the entry in the DLNA database. You should not have to do anything else. I am not sure why it is not working.

Back