Driving and Roads

So that's AvP rather than "Driving and Roads"?
Oh FFS. If I'd put it in AvP you'd have said it was about driving.
I don't agree. That it was "50mph in lane three" is not so obvious a contravention than "50mph in the fast lane" (as it is commonly known anyway), which is a much better headline and indicates the sub-editor thought about it.
...and fell into DJT's "Fake News" agenda.
At least another online newspaper explains it:
https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/speed-limits-and-fast-lanes-the-5-motorway-myths-debunked-that-you-need-to-know-about-52978 said:
The ‘Fast Lane’ and ‘Slow Lane’ don’t actually exist, as the left hand lane should be used for normal driving and the other two lanes should only be used for overtaking.
Just because "fast lane" is commonly known doesn't make it correct.

Just because "fast lane" is commonly known doesn't make it correct.
Not correct, I agree, but when you are trying to communicate with the uneducated masses it is unfortunately necessary to stoop to their level (one can try to educate them, but one cannot expect to educate them).

Like for those people who use either-or with more than two terms.
Just as much a crime as splitting an infinitive.

Since when was overtaking not normal driving? :rolleyes:
Are you always in an overtaking lane then? Unless you count passing stationary vehicles as overtaking, you could complete your journey without ever having to overtake. That makes it normal.
What about those (rare beasts now - I hope) three lane single carriageway roads. The middle lane is for overtaking in either direction. Surely you wouldn't class driving in that middle lane as normal driving. It's damn dangerous. At least DRLs make things safer. I used to check, recheck, indicate and then put my headlights on when I wanted to overtake on one of those roads. Definitely not normal driving.

When I were a lad we called them suicide lanes.
I don't recall seeing any symmetrical ones of late. They usually seem to have either double white lines or solid + dashed on one side.

Which would be great if (some) motorcyclists behaved like other road users and weren't always taking the piss expecting everyone else to make allowances. I, for one, preferred the early warning of an easy-to-spot motorcycle headlamp (either from the front or in a rear view mirror) uncluttered by dozens of other lights. The worst one is when the buggers are coming the other way around a left-hander, tyre contact inside the white line but head well over it!

"Think bike"? Why the f*** should we have to make up for their lack of?

I don't know what DRLs are supposed to achieve, other than to make up for lack of adequate driver training to know when it is and is not appropriate to turn on lights yourself.

For example:

I was out on the motorway in bad weather yesterday, and most cars had lights on except a few - who were almost invisible at a medium distance. DRLs don't make up for that, because they only show at the front.

I have had oncoming cars flash me, I assume for not having my headlights on, when the sun is out. This typically happens just after mid-winter when the days start to lengthen and rush-hour drivers are putting lights on to drive home out of habit.

I was behind a vehicle with no lights at night for some distance, and I stopped when they pulled into a driveway. "Do you realise you didn't have your lights on?" "Yes we did, this car is fitted with DRLs." "That's only in the front - what about the back?"

I have had oncoming cars flash me, I assume for not having my headlights on, when the sun is out. This typically happens just after mid-winter when the days start to lengthen and rush-hour drivers are putting lights on to drive home out of habit.
I made the mistake of forgetting to turn my headlights off when I exited a car park. Some fool, parked on the wrong side of the road, wrongly assumed I'd flashed him to let him pull out. I hadn't and he did. How I managed to swerve, miss him, and avoid oncoming traffic is one of life's mysteries.

Never mind DRLs, hazard warning lights can be a bgr. You can't always tell, when someone is hidden in a row of parked cars, whether they are wanting to pull out or whether they are using the hazard lights. You find out when you try to let them out and nothing happens.

Never mind DRLs, hazard warning lights can be a bgr. You can't always tell, when someone is hidden in a row of parked cars, whether they are wanting to pull out or whether they are using the hazard lights. You find out when you try to let them out and nothing happens.
Second that. Hazard lights are almost universally misused: they are there to signal an unavoidable hazard, not "I can't be bothered to find somewhere more appropriate to park". Nobody should be deliberately creating a hazard in the first place.

Some fool, parked on the wrong side of the road, wrongly assumed I'd flashed him to let him pull out. I hadn't and he did.
Are you sure? That might not have been in the fool's mind at all.

Many years ago a passing ambulance stopped to ask if there was a problem when all I had done (late at night) was park up and turn my lights off.

Last edited:
Unless, perhaps, it was on its way to a call and thought I was signalling location. I did tend to sit in the car for a bit before going in, listening to something on the radio (often the shipping forecast).

Back