• The forum software that supports hummy.tv has been upgraded to XenForo 2.1!

This upgrade brings a number of improvements including the ability to bookmark posts to come back to later. Please bear with us as we continue to tweak things and open a new thread for any questions, issues or suggestions in Site/Forum Issues.

Driving and Roads

MikeSh

The problem with indicators and modern person is that the latter generally use the former to confirm they are doing what they are already doing.
There is no attempt to use them to indicate what they are planning to do.

I play a game when following people sometimes by predicting what they are going to do, based on their 'body' language, before they indicate it (if they indicate at all). In most cases the indication is superfluous.

dandnsmith

Forum Supporter
A 'majority' telltale is the movement right before turning left, and vice-versa - sometimes worrying when performed by an adjacent car in constricted traffic lanes (eg traffic lights)

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
the movement right before turning left, and vice-versa
Dreadful. A "boy racer" tactic to carry more speed into the corner instead of performing the manoeuvre with correct (respectful) braking and steering inputs.

I can't count how many times I have had to take avoiding action when another vehicle has turned into my side road, cutting the corner without considering who might be coming out of it (again to carry more speed, or just laziness). The white markings on the road are there for a purpose!

The roundabout near me is wide enough for at least two cars, but doesn't have lane markings. It is not uncommon I'm heading for the third exit on the inside track, while another car obstensibly on the outside track and going straight on drifts right (pinching my space, unaware there's another vehicle) before exiting. Only the other day, I had a BMW on the outside track go all the way around to the third exit without any signals!

Last edited:

gomezz

There is a new roundabout being built here and at the moment there is a Turn Left Only coming out of the side road onto the main road. I was following a car up the side road yesterday and could tell they were thinking about turning right into the oncoming traffic. My hand was on the horn and pressed as soon as their right turn indicator started flashing which stopped them in their tracks and made them think again.

To cap it all, after turning left, instead of doing the regulation U-turn at the next roundabout to go in the direction they wanted they did a three point turn in the middle of two way traffic! :eek:

Black Hole

There is a general degeneration of road manners which, while almost unbelievable to us old-school drivers, typifies the self-centred look-after-no1 attitude of the younger generation. They will go the wrong way down a one way street if it saves them time and they think they'll get away with it (and with the current state of policing, they will). I've been face to face with one. They don't care.

Recently I was on a side road in Bristol, lined both sides with parked cars and only room for one vehicle to traverse, up a hill. I was nearly at the top when a great white Merc entered from the other direction, big black bloke with afro hair, just sat there beckoning me to reverse back. There was a space just behind him! I would have needed to reverse at least 200m, and it was my right of way up the hill! I gestured at him and pointed out the pull-in, which he grudgingly reversed into, but I didn't half get an ear-full when I went by.

Then there was the white van man stopped at the exit onto a higher priority road - I was sitting behind him for a while thinking he must have been able to get out by now... I went to see what was happening and found him basically parked up checking his phone.

EEPhil

Number 28

Black Hole

So that's AvP rather than "Driving and Roads"?

Lazy sub-editor.
I don't agree. That it was "50mph in lane three" is not so obvious a contravention than "50mph in the fast lane" (as it is commonly known anyway), which is a much better headline and indicates the sub-editor thought about it.

EEPhil

Number 28
So that's AvP rather than "Driving and Roads"?
Oh FFS. If I'd put it in AvP you'd have said it was about driving.
I don't agree. That it was "50mph in lane three" is not so obvious a contravention than "50mph in the fast lane" (as it is commonly known anyway), which is a much better headline and indicates the sub-editor thought about it.
...and fell into DJT's "Fake News" agenda.
At least another online newspaper explains it:
https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/speed-limits-and-fast-lanes-the-5-motorway-myths-debunked-that-you-need-to-know-about-52978 said:
The ‘Fast Lane’ and ‘Slow Lane’ don’t actually exist, as the left hand lane should be used for normal driving and the other two lanes should only be used for overtaking.
Just because "fast lane" is commonly known doesn't make it correct.

Black Hole

Just because "fast lane" is commonly known doesn't make it correct.
Not correct, I agree, but when you are trying to communicate with the uneducated masses it is unfortunately necessary to stoop to their level (one can try to educate them, but one cannot expect to educate them).

Like for those people who use either-or with more than two terms.
Just as much a crime as splitting an infinitive.

EEPhil

Number 28
Since when was overtaking not normal driving? :rolleyes:
Are you always in an overtaking lane then? Unless you count passing stationary vehicles as overtaking, you could complete your journey without ever having to overtake. That makes it normal.
What about those (rare beasts now - I hope) three lane single carriageway roads. The middle lane is for overtaking in either direction. Surely you wouldn't class driving in that middle lane as normal driving. It's damn dangerous. At least DRLs make things safer. I used to check, recheck, indicate and then put my headlights on when I wanted to overtake on one of those roads. Definitely not normal driving.

MikeSh

When I were a lad we called them suicide lanes.
I don't recall seeing any symmetrical ones of late. They usually seem to have either double white lines or solid + dashed on one side.

Black Hole

Which would be great if (some) motorcyclists behaved like other road users and weren't always taking the piss expecting everyone else to make allowances. I, for one, preferred the early warning of an easy-to-spot motorcycle headlamp (either from the front or in a rear view mirror) uncluttered by dozens of other lights. The worst one is when the buggers are coming the other way around a left-hander, tyre contact inside the white line but head well over it!

"Think bike"? Why the f*** should we have to make up for their lack of?