• The forum software that supports hummy.tv has been upgraded to XenForo 2.1!

This upgrade brings a number of improvements including the ability to bookmark posts to come back to later. Please bear with us as we continue to tweak things and open a new thread for any questions, issues or suggestions in Site/Forum Issues.

Driving and Roads

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I don't know what DRLs are supposed to achieve, other than to make up for lack of adequate driver training to know when it is and is not appropriate to turn on lights yourself.

For example:

I was out on the motorway in bad weather yesterday, and most cars had lights on except a few - who were almost invisible at a medium distance. DRLs don't make up for that, because they only show at the front.

I have had oncoming cars flash me, I assume for not having my headlights on, when the sun is out. This typically happens just after mid-winter when the days start to lengthen and rush-hour drivers are putting lights on to drive home out of habit.

I was behind a vehicle with no lights at night for some distance, and I stopped when they pulled into a driveway. "Do you realise you didn't have your lights on?" "Yes we did, this car is fitted with DRLs." "That's only in the front - what about the back?"

EEPhil

Number 28
I have had oncoming cars flash me, I assume for not having my headlights on, when the sun is out. This typically happens just after mid-winter when the days start to lengthen and rush-hour drivers are putting lights on to drive home out of habit.
I made the mistake of forgetting to turn my headlights off when I exited a car park. Some fool, parked on the wrong side of the road, wrongly assumed I'd flashed him to let him pull out. I hadn't and he did. How I managed to swerve, miss him, and avoid oncoming traffic is one of life's mysteries.

Never mind DRLs, hazard warning lights can be a bgr. You can't always tell, when someone is hidden in a row of parked cars, whether they are wanting to pull out or whether they are using the hazard lights. You find out when you try to let them out and nothing happens.

Black Hole

Never mind DRLs, hazard warning lights can be a bgr. You can't always tell, when someone is hidden in a row of parked cars, whether they are wanting to pull out or whether they are using the hazard lights. You find out when you try to let them out and nothing happens.
Second that. Hazard lights are almost universally misused: they are there to signal an unavoidable hazard, not "I can't be bothered to find somewhere more appropriate to park". Nobody should be deliberately creating a hazard in the first place.

Some fool, parked on the wrong side of the road, wrongly assumed I'd flashed him to let him pull out. I hadn't and he did.
Are you sure? That might not have been in the fool's mind at all.

Many years ago a passing ambulance stopped to ask if there was a problem when all I had done (late at night) was park up and turn my lights off.

Last edited:

Black Hole

Unless, perhaps, it was on its way to a call and thought I was signalling location. I did tend to sit in the car for a bit before going in, listening to something on the radio (often the shipping forecast).

prpr

Keep going chaps, it's getting harder!
We'll enDover to do our best.
Plus it's raining out there.
It's Britain. It's the middle of June. I've had the central heating on three days this week so far. Never done that before. I knew we'd pay for that Easter weather somewhere.
It somewhat reminds me of 2012 - the first week of the Olympics, and ISTR one of the cycle road* races in particular, was horrid.

* Back on topic!