Driving and Roads

I've seen and heard some concrete roads (no tarmac surface) that matches your description. In fact, it might even be that road! (It was a long time ago)

:eek:

Has the other party been caught?

(I've "liked" your post in absence of a more appropriate alternative)

My wife is worse than me.
Off topic a bit, but this IS The Arms.
Had the argument with my wife a couple of days ago about it, so is a genuine question, not a 'pick up'. Should it be 'me' or 'I'? I reckon 'I'. My usual test is to 'complete the sentence' and in this case a full sentence would be "My wife is worse than I am." and 'me' fails the test, but 'me' does not sound wrong without the added 'was'. HWMBO can usually pick up a misplaced 'I' or 'me' at a thousand paces.

I think you might get away with T-cut and elbow grease.

I saw three people go through a red light junction this afternoon on leaving work. The first was possibly already across the threshold turning right but the others definitely weren't. It's not an isolated incident either, especially with 'white van man' who has to get everywhere before he started and to hell with anyone else.

Yeah, polish out.

Red lights: agree. I see no end of blatant running, people do it because they know they're not going to get caught. It's time I had a dash cam and an Internet channel (and I won't be blanking out number plates either). In my view, ignoring red is far worse than judicious speeding, and every light should have a camera instead of splashing Gatsos everywhere. Jumping a red light is a deliberate act with definite danger.

I used a road near Bath three times tonight, it has an Impreza buried in the hedge (no, I didn't go back just to gloat).

Jumping a red light is a deliberate act with definite danger.
I was very surprised recently to see a police car on an emergency call treat the red light as they are supposed to. The officer slowed right down and behaved as though it was a "give way". One up to that Notts police officer.:thumbsup: Several thousand down to those featured on the many TV programmes who plough through red lights without even slowing down.:thumbsdown:

Somewhere I pointed out that we kept getting people parking their cars in a tree trunk. The County Council removed the tree, so now the cars can travel along the pavement and play skittles with pedestrians. :rolleyes:

Re: Mike0001's photo's.

That looks like a higher speed crash than when I ran up the back of a stationary car. (I blame the icy road, and the *&%$ that was trying to cut me up).
I managed to repair it myself, and still get some money from the insurance company. That was in the 1980's though.

I was very surprised recently to see a police car on an emergency call treat the red light as they are supposed to.
I wish fire engines and ambulances would! They bully other traffic into jumping a red light, when it is illegal to do so, even to make way for an emergency vehicle, unless directed by a uniformed police officer. If a red light camera catches you in the process, you will be done for it.

Yes, I know they're in a hurry, but if they want other traffic to get out of the way in these circumstances, they need to get new legislation in place so the other traffic is absolved from responsibility.

I wish fire engines and ambulances would!
To be fair, I've seen an EMAS* paramedic behave properly at red lights. (* East Midlands Ambulance Service)

they need to get new legislation in place so the other traffic is absolved from responsibility.
I'm sure I've seen a document (probably police) that warns them not to bully other traffic through a red light. It suggests something like trying to form a middle lane in a two lane carriageway by encouraging vehicles to pull over to the left and right, or to approach a red light on the wrong side of the road where there is a queue. They are required to use their skill and judgement. :rolling:.

If new legislation is required to protect the public, they should also address the anomaly that police vehicles can ignore white lines in the middle of the road (ie. no overtaking), but fire and ambulance cannot. How silly. I'd sooner the correct emergency service gets to an incident on time. Police at a fire. What are they going to do, widdle on it?

From Cumbria: What does a police car look like, or a policeman for that matter? Our town having a population of about 20,000 is served (?) by a police station open from 09.00 -13.00 five days a week. Obviously no crime happens outside these hours.

Been there, done that (not an NT badge in my instance). It's very difficult retrieving everything from a written-off car.

Even worse when I had a car stolen (and found burnt out). Years later I was still thinking "whatever happened to...".

Looks like a Toyota? What's the matter with the Focus next to it - looks straight from what I can see.

Avoid John Lewis insurance, they are just brokers. JL even gave me the wrong number to phone in their documentation, worse, a number for the wrong insurance firm.

I'm not greatly impressed with John Lewis. I bought this laptop from there and they recorded the extended warranty as a freezer and made some comment about food storage. When there was a problem with the hard disk within the warranty they wanted to take it away for a month or more. I complained and the service engineer :rolling: tried to open the hard disk bay with a penknife. He took it away for a few days, tried to fit a disk half the original size and was upset when I wouldn't accept it. When it did come back, the computer had been scratched. Also, when I phoned JL they told me to phone HP instead. HP told me to b****r off. So back to JL. So, "I feel your pain!" (with JL insurance, not with the crash).

Back