Driving and Roads

Back to DRLs: they also increase the CO2 and decrease the MPG - only slightly, I'll admit, but nonetheless...

I was out on the motorway in bad weather yesterday, and most cars had lights on except a few - who were almost invisible at a medium distance. DRLs don't make up for that, because they only show at the front.
I was out walking this morning and saw a few cars which may have had DRLs front and rear. Obviously, I've no idea whether these were just (in)considerate drivers who had turned their sidelights on, or whether they really were front and rear DRLs. The cars that might have had rear DRLs were BMW and Toyota. Anyone know if these manufacturers produce vehicles with this option.

By definition, DRLs are white lights on the front only and supposed to extinguish when night lighting is turned on. It is not uncommon for vans in particular to be wired so that sidelights (front and rear) are on whenever the ignition is on, and also Volvos etc, but that's not the same as DRLs. DRLs are brighter than position indicator lights (ie sidelights).

What would you think this sign means?

As you can see, the sign is placed in the road with cones to the centre line. What you can't see is that there is another road to the right just before the sign.

The number of idiots who belt down the road, move over to the right to pass the sign and then suddenly realise that the road ahead is, erm, closed. Then they reverse into someone's drive to do a three or more point turn and travel back up the road. :rolleyes:

From your description I think the sign should say ROAD CLOSED - ACCESS ONLY rather than ROAD AHEAD CLOSED which is usually used to give advance notice of a ROAD CLOSED sign.

Our local council have a nasty habit of putting 'road ahead closed' signs with no indication of where (how far away) the closure occurs. In one recent case the closure was on the way to a local hospital, before which there were two dead end side roads and one through road before the hospital. I wasn't about to use that road, anyway, because of the parking usually to be found along the way, but I'm glad I didn't have to make the call.
come to think of it, it may have been the people doing gas main replacement who were really responsible (they've being doing stuff on lots of the the roads near us)

Our local council have a nasty habit of putting 'road ahead closed' signs with no indication of where (how far away) the closure occurs.
Oh yes, and sometimes it's a side road and not the main thoroughfare. What's worse, the info doesn't often make it onto the satnav.

I was faced with a 'road closed ahead' sign just off a roundabout, with no other information, but as it would be a considerable detour I decided to risk it knowing the closure could refer to a side road. Only 5 miles later did I discover I had no choice but to return to the roundabout and find another route!

The yellow signs advertising advance notice of closures are no good - by the time you're close enough to read the small print you're past the sign.

The yellow signs advertising advance notice of closures are no good - by the time you're close enough to read the small print you're past the sign.
Yes, that really Ts me off. It's OK for daily commuters as you can grab a line each day, but if you are a less regular visitor you won't get enough passes in time.

From your description I think the sign should say ROAD CLOSED - ACCESS ONLY rather than ROAD AHEAD CLOSED which is usually used to give advance notice of a ROAD CLOSED sign.
If you zoom in on the right hand picture, you might just see a car in line with the top of the sign. It has just done a U-turn at the Road Closed sign.
(Sorry about poor picture quality. My phone is a mobile one with a crap camera. I didn't have my compact digital camera with me. And then I down graded the picture to reduce the file size!)

Our local council have a nasty habit of putting 'road ahead closed' signs with no indication of where (how far away) the closure occurs.
All of the signs in the nearby roadworks (done on behalf of Notts County Council by Via and then subcontracted) are like that. Hence the "blacked-out" part which is an arrow on another sign about 10m from the road (to the left) that is closed. I didn't look to see if there was an advanced warning at the start of the road.

Now the clocks have gone back, we can play the game again...
Tonight's tally:
6 duff headlights
1 duff brake light
2 parked the wrong side of a solid white line, one of them also being on a clearway
1 turning left on a no left turn (an acute angle and wondering why they struggled and ended up on the wrong side of the road)
1 refusing to overtake a cyclist (despite no oncoming traffic and a road plenty wide enough)

I think I was the victim of a Mischief Night prank yesterday evening when someone had pulled cones across from halfway to fully across the access to a lane. Went round to the other end of the lane where I found the actual roadworks fully blocking the road. Decided to park up and trolley my delivery down the lane rather than faff about an.y more

Seen last week:
M1COM
Seen yesterday:
KW11COW (formatted as K W11CO W) in the NG area.

Back