Edit History

Ezra Pound

Could the moderators please look into the possibility of adding an edit history for posts in this forum, at present a user can edit a post multiple times, hours (or even days) after the original post, completely changing the original meaning, with no indication that this has been done. If the post is followed by other users answering or commenting on this post, it makes a nonsense of the replies if the previous post is edited to convey a different message. Ideally it would be nice to have a full history of all changes, but if this is not possible, could we at least have a 'Last edited : Time : date' flag to show editing has taken place and when

My similar comments about the propriety of indefinite editing of PM posts fell on stoney ground, so...

In any case, I didn't change the meaning of my post, nor make yours any more irrelevant than they already were. The link to the information was there all along.

The only thing that I can see is the option to add a Time limit on editing/deleting own posts.

The only thing that I can see is the option to add a Time limit on editing/deleting own posts.

I'd think 5 minutes was long enough to reread your new post and notice the stupid mistake. (Though in my case it's usually about 5 seconds.)

@BH. Do we have to wait that long before one of you does? Still, it's only about 4 months:)

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/post-edit-history-and-logging.46726/

Which version is the forum? Some sites found that they were loosing the edit history when upgrading from 1.2 to 1.4, but that could be edit history that was added through a different plug-in.

It may be easier to make sure that the site is on the latest version before adding enhanced features.

Edit1: Looking a bit further it was the MercenaryDesign Edit History add-on that some had difficulty keeping history when updating from 1.2 to 1.4.

Edit3: Is it just a case of updating via ACP -> Options -> Logging Options ?

Yes make it 5 mins - that will stop people editing posts and changing the context.

I'd prefer to have all the following
  • that in the first few few minutes it is not logged;
  • anything greater than that, up to 20 minutes, is logged and displayed that it has been logged and the changes tracked;
  • after 20 minutes no editing is permitted

A five minute edit limit seems the best option to me, that's more than enough time to correct typos and not too long to wait before posting a reply to something that can't be changed

Why should a forum post not be edited any more than a Wiki page should not be edited?
I doubt you'd agree with the latter. One may think you have a vested interest in setting this limit.

FWIW, I disagree with random limits. Why 5 minutes and not 5 hours or 5 days or 5 months or anything else?
Who says 5 minutes is long enough? Long enough for what?

Haven't you complained yourself about other users editing their post after you have replied to, or made a comment about it?

Haven't you complained yourself about other users editing their post after you have replied to, or made a comment about it?
Yes, but usually when they've been economical with the truth.
That doesn't mean I want the facility removed totally.

I don't really like the way BH uses the edit facility - I usually limit myself to edits for typos etc. and occasionally to strike out irrelevant information, whereas he posts a one-liner (just to be first) and them gradually edits in reams of stuff, often after people have replied.
This I feel should only be used for reference works, not for general run-of-the-mill type stuff.
But there is no way to legislate against it.

Anyway, you didn't really address my comments as posted; rather went off at a tangent.

Why should a forum post not be edited any more than a Wiki page should not be edited
The forum is a timeline of comments by multiple users, you can't expect every user to re-edit his / her posts in response to an earlier change of wording

One may think you have a vested interest in setting this limit
I don't see how I would gain any more or less than anyone else from an edit limit

Why 5 minutes and not 5 hours or 5 days or 5 months or anything else? Who says 5 minutes is long enough? Long enough for what?
As I stated in #11, in my opinion 5 Mins. is " more than enough time to correct typos" and waiting 6 Mins. before posting will ensure that the previous post won't get edited to insert something you said in your post, to make it look like the previous user said it first

Then how about that you can edit your own posts at any time without time limit until a subsequent post has been made?
A problem with this is that you seem to be only looking at it from the bicker angle. What about when someone writes some thing wrong, someone points it out so the OP should then edit it so that the wrong information no longer exists for future readers?

I would go for 5 minutes. Without it being logged. Not sure if it is possible to have a different (unlimited) rule if there are no subsequent posts. People can always quote themselves with any major corrections in a subsequent post if need be.

Like this: What I meant to say
People can always quote themselves with any major corrections in a subsequent post if need be. Blah, blah, blah ... only obessives would feel the need to do so for spelling and grammar mistakes of course.

This is supposed to be a technical forum, and removing the ability to update informational posts in the light of correction or new information would be a major impediment. It is a matter of personal principle not to alter the context of a conversation, but as posts are in public there will be witnesses if a post is altered in a malevolent manner - this is not the case in PM posts, and why I am against indefinite editing of PMs (neither can I see the need).

That said I am not against a "last edited" tag - other forums have it, and it is only stating fact.

I agree that it would be better to have some form of indicator (last edited tag?) rather than blocking change.
Somebody reading a uncorrected entry in the future could be mislead by an inaccurate statement.

People will pick up malicious edits soon enough and comment.

Back