Failed Recording of New BBC Four HD Channel

I agree. We have no knowledge of what the problem actually is, so cannot know whether there is anything we can do about it or how to tell when it has been fixed.

It was just a hope that by observing the instances some pattern might emerge from which to hypothesise the cause. So far, zilch.
Can we deduce anything from the fact that the box is happy to display the problem stations live but only sometimes to record them?

They record every time, but the index data is wrong. Index data isn't needed for live play.

Neither is indexing data needed for playback on another device (eg VLC), or the Humax if the corrupt index files are deleted - BUT only if the file is decrypted first.

Can we deduce anything from the fact that the box is happy to display the problem stations live but only sometimes to record them?

Well yes, previous posts have confirmed that the failed recordings are due to the fact that the .nts files are showing as 0 mins. The Humax box therefore says 'nothing to play', so one has to ask why are they correct on BBC1 & BBC2 HD but not on the newly arrived HD channels?

I'd not tried to record off the BBC3 or 4 HDs yet so this evening I set up a couple of test recordings, using AR.
BBC3 HD - Worked
BBC4 HD - Failed, 0 length, but showing 560MB or so file size.
So far so nothing new. BUT ...

While one or maybe both of the above were recording I put the box On to schedule another recording for later in the evening on Yesterday. While doing this I changed the live channel to Yesterday. When I'd finished I pushed the box back to standby and walked away.

An hour or so later I came back to watch something. The box was still recording the BBC3 program (we have Redring) but I noticed the display was showing Yesterday, but looking a bit dim. Thinking I hadn't turned the box off I turned the TV on but it soon became clear the box wasn't actually on. When I pressed the on/off on the remote it then sprang to life with the display brightening to normal and showing the icons along the top as well as Yesterday, which it was still tuned to.

I've never noticed this behaviour before and it seems an odd coincidence that this 'hanging' of the displayed channel coincided with a failed recording.

Because I had recording success with sequential and parallel BBC3HD and BBC4HD on my HDR Fox overnight on Thursday I repeated the test with a minor change - sequential on BBC3HD with a delayed parallel recording on BBC4HD. HDR put into standby from BBC3HD.

BBC3HD : 00:30 to 02:00 : Recorded Successfully
BBC4HD : 01:30 to 02:00 : Recorded Successfully

In addition, I set up sequential BBC4HD recordings on my HD Fox because it had not recorded that channel successfully before. HD put into standby from BBC4HD.

BBC4HD : 22:00 to 00:30 : Recorded Successfully

Both Al Jazerra Eng HD and BBC News HD, single programme each, recorded ok on my HD Fox.

Will try alternating programmes tonight from BBC1 in standby to see if they fail to record properly as they did before.

Martin

My two recordings late last night (very early am in fact) were same as previous:
BBC3 HD - Worked
BBC4 HD - Failed, 0 length

I think I may have to put BBC4 back to the SD channel until (if) we get a fix of some sort.

I doubt if I'm adding much here, but I had an unplayable "0" sec recording from BBC3 HD last night. I copied it to a USB drive (I'm running the Custom Firmware) then renamed it as an .mp4 file on my computer and that now plays ok on the Humax - presumably because the Humax isn't looking for the same index files.

Would it be possible using CF to make the Humax bypass whatever restriction there is on playing files of less than 30 secs, or might that create other problems?

The Humax uses the 'sidecar' files created with the title.ts file as a sort of Table Of Contents for what is in the title.ts file, it is the TOC that say the file is 0 sec. which is why deleting the sidecar files or renaming title.ts file allows the file to be played by the Humax, however things like bookmarks etc. are then lost

Alternating programmes recorded successfully last night.

Whilst deleting previous programmes I came across one that was too long. "The Revolution Will Be Televised" was scheduled to last 30 minutes but went on for 53 minutes. Playing the recording revealed that the scheduled following programme "Don't Tell The Bride" had been replaced by "Snow, Sex And Suspicious Parents".

I assume the box gave up when the programme overran.

Martin

My first BBC3HD program I recorded was Anchorman. When I went to the media list the thumbnail had the lightning flash through it with no picture. When I went to play I got the message along the lines of 'program not recorded due to lack of signal, do you wish to play anyway' which I did and it was all there :)

That's not uncommon, it just means there was a signal glitch or something just as it started to record.

My first BBC3HD program I recorded was Anchorman. When I went to the media list the thumbnail had the lightning flash through it with no picture. When I went to play I got the message along the lines of 'program not recorded due to lack of signal, do you wish to play anyway' which I did and it was all there :)

I get this quite often -so not uncommon as BH notes. I have now managed a number of successful timed recordings from BBC4 HD but none from BBC3 HD (all "0" secs).

I've had the problem a few times now - seems totally random so I've decided to just record BBC3/4 stuff in SD from now on (even though it nags me about the programme also being available in HD when I set it).

Loader a7.30 FHTCP 1.02.29 CFW 2.12

EDIT: just upgraded to FHTCP 1.03.06 CFW 2.20

My HDR and HD have recorded the same BBC3HD and BBC4HD programmes successfully for the last 3 nights. All single programmes with AR.

Will have to try series recordings: "Family Guy" and "The Bridge".

Martin

My HDR and HD have recorded the same BBC3HD and BBC4HD programmes successfully for the last 3 nights. All single programmes with AR.

Will have to try series recordings: "Family Guy" and "The Bridge".

Martin

There's a new series of The Bridge on already? I saw the trailer but assumed it meant "In January".

Back