HDR fox T2 freezes

So are you happy as it is? I realise that the box is usabe now but there is clearly an issue somewhere.

Posted on the move
Very happy, the box now sits at 42 degrees, I don't mind the fact that the fan is always running, I've had a look and it is turning quite slowly. I'd rather have the constant graph I've got now versus the peaks, fan on max, cool down then starting all over again. It bugs me that something is wrong but to be honest, I'll settle for what I've got now!

Well as long as you're happy :) I've set my fan to "constant on" too and couldn't be happier.

Although personally I'd return a box that froze if it reached 50 degrees - but if it doesn't bother you then it doesn't bother you :)

Posted on the move

Curiously enough, two days on the trot I have found HDR1 in a crashed state of some sort. On the first occasion it was in a half-awake state but unresponsive to front panel or remote; second occasion (today) it was in a blue-ring state with the scrolling VFD frozen and no response to WebIF (although my network shares could see a presence, but no media) and again no response to front panel or remote.

Both times normal service resumed after a cold boot. I must check the fan...

Curiously enough, two days on the trot I have found HDR1 in a crashed state of some sort. On the first occasion it was in a half-awake state but unresponsive to front panel or remote; second occasion (today) it was in a blue-ring state with the scrolling VFD frozen and no response to WebIF (although my network shares could see a presence, but no media) and again no response to front panel or remote.

Both times normal service resumed after a cold boot. I must check the fan...
Out of interest how old are your hdr's? Mines is about 1 year and 5 months.

HDR1 is over 3 years old, and rarely misses a beat. If yours is less than 2 years old you have little reason not to pursue a warranty claim.

Here's interesting: as far as I can make out, HDR1's fan wasn't running at all, but is now I have installed the fan package and set it to 80%. Sysmon reported red, and is now falling.

Here's interesting: as far as I can make out, HDR1's fan wasn't running at all, but is now I have installed the fan package and set it to 80%. Sysmon reported red, and is now falling.
I'm sure the same thing happened with me. I was sure the fan was defective, but installed the fan package and low and behold the fan was ok.

The graph peaked at 56, and that's what the SMART data said too. It now says 51 and failed "in the past". The graph is creeping up but still green (we don't expect the fan to strike up until it gets to the top threshold).

Interestingly my 190 airflow temp is the only attribute that has failed in the past. I wonder where the sensor for this is actually mounted...

When it comes to the smart data attributes, what's the difference between value and raw value? My airflow temp has a raw value of 36 and a value of 064? Should I be worried about this?

The raw value is encoded data. For example, if a sensor temperature range starts at -20 deg.C, it is no good using an unsigned byte to represent 0-255, and a waste of range to represent it in Kelvin (0K =~ -273 deg.C). In that case the designers could use a signed byte (-128 to 127), or simply specify that a data value of zero represents -20 deg.C (and maybe each data increment represents half a degree C).

For the airflow temperature parameter the "raw value" is the actual temperature in deg. C. I have not tried putting the unit in the freezer to find out if it using signed or unsigned values. The "value" column is a processed version of this which will fall as the temperature increases. If it drops below the number in the threshold column a failure will be indicated. Most of the SMART attributes work in this way - a falling number in the value column will indicate a fail if it drops below the threshold column providing the threshold is non-zero.

OK I got it the wrong way round. The -20 was only an illustration of how encoded data works.

pitchshifter182 : When it comes to the smart data attributes, what's the difference between value and raw value? My airflow temp has a raw value of 36 and a value of 064? Should I be worried about this?
No, you should not be worried about this. The airflow temperature (line 190) is calculated from the hard disk temperature measurement (line 194), where the 'Value' and 'Worst' figures are equal to 100 Deg. C minus the 'Value' and 'Worst' figures in line 194.You will notice that the line 190 Threshold is set to 45 Deg. C, this is a minimum value meaning that 'When Failed' will show "in the past" if the drive temperature (in line 194) goes above 55 Deg. C (100 - 55 = 45), as Humax have set the fan to come on at 56 Deg. C "in the past" just shows that unit has got hot enough for the fan to turn on. The 'Worst' value in line 194 shows you the maximum temperature that the unit's hard drive has reached, this is typically around 58 Deg. C when the fan is working correctly

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

Back