HDR-FOX T2/GB/RE

Here's the link without being wrapped in a Google search result:

http://www.crestatech.com/pdf/ADEAC_White-Paper.pdf

...and the answer to my question is yes, "can" as in the tin-can metal screening box, therefore no need to be in capitals. The integrated all-silicon tuner will probably be screened in some way.

Interesting article, thanks, I will have to read it again.

Hi,

From STI
http://www.st.com/web/catalog/mmc/FM131/SC1003

ST’s solid-state silicon TV tuners have recently been developed to replace traditional CAN tuners, a venerable technology little changed since the late 1960's and made up of numerous discrete components that required careful and time-consuming tuning.
Silicon tuners offer the following advantages as compared to CAN tuners:
  • Overall cost reduction compared to CAN tuners
  • No manual tuning or adjustments
  • Set-top box or TV form factor reduction; smaller footprint

Some use CAN some can

That might be a misunderstanding. The control interface is frequently serial (because it reduces the number of connections compared with a parallel data bus, which saves pin count on the ICs, saves PCB area, and reduces the interference). I2C is a common comms standard for this kind of thing. CAN (Controller Area Network) is a serial bus used mainly in the automotive industry. Somebody might have heard "can tuner" and thought "tuner module with a CAN interface".

Doubt if someone stating

" traditional CAN tuners, a venerable technology little changed since the late 1960's"

would be muddling it up with Controller Area Network. They may have just invented the capitalization though.

Anyway not sure if the issue of whether it should be capitalised or not is actually the main point !!!

Anyway not sure if the issue of whether it should be capitalised or not is actually the main point !!!
No, but a relevant side issue. You are not to blame, but I wanted clarification of what "CAN" meant. The unconventional use of capitalisation is potentially misleading.

No, but a relevant side issue. You are not to blame, but I wanted clarification of what "CAN" meant. The unconventional use of capitalisation is potentially misleading.

Yes - True. Quite an interesting side issue.

This looks like an interesting piece from 2005.
www.crestatech.com/pdf/ADEAC_White-Paper.pdf

I am somewhat amazed that production stocks have taken so long to run out. I am guessing that the cessation of can-type module production was flagged and companies bought plenty of stock to allow for a reasonable period for re-engineering.

Side note: Having searched a bit more "CAN" is used in 2008 in an article on this subject before STI used the term but "can" and "can-type modules" are mostly used as the reference moniker.

So, now we just need someone with a /RE model to take the lid off and post some pictures...

On the new box, these sockets and the surrounding area are quite warm.

If the new box does have a digital tuner then I'd expect it to be a lot cooler around the tuner area. It should also be much quicker at changing channels - anything noticeable there?

Hi All

Well purchased one from Maplin and it has the tuner in/out horizontal (told them I'd only have it if they checked and that was the case)! It has firmware 1.02.28 loader a7.33 System ID: 80BC.7E00 Date 26th May 2012 Micom version 9.3

So looks like I got what I wanted and help this helps others. :)

Now to look at installing the CFW.

Thanks for all your help.

Andrew

Could you first post the output of the 1.03.06 diagnostic?
I assume you mean the"general" diagnostics from the cf2.18 page. The general diagnostic lists everything as "pass"
I have discovered that I need to set up the wireless device every time I shut down and restart the Humax. I will probably load 1.02.32 when I have provided all the information I can.

No, he means run the diagnostic "1.03.06" - type that in the box (without the quotes) and run it. Or using Telnet run "diag 1.03.06"

No, he means run the diagnostic "1.03.06" - type that in the box (without the quotes) and run it. Or using Telnet run "diag 1.03.06"
>>> Beginning diagnostic 1.03.06
Running: 1.03.06
Name Address + Size
0: rootfs 0x00000000 + 0x01800000 (24.0 MiB)
1: humaxtv_db 0x01800000 + 0x00200000 (2.0 MiB)
2: backup 0x01a00000 + 0x00200000 (2.0 MiB)
3: cfe 0x01c00000 + 0x001a0000 (1.6 MiB)
4: reserve0 0x01da0000 + 0x00060000 (0.4 MiB)
5: vmlinux 0x01e00000 + 0x00200000 (2.0 MiB)
6: physmap-flash.0 0x00000000 + 0x02000000 (32.0 MiB)
Linux humax 2.6.18-7.1 #1 SMP Wed Mar 6 07:27:02 KST 2013 7405b0-smp GNU/Linux

>>> Ending diagnostic 1.03.06

Everything's identical to 1.02.32 apart from the datestamp on the kernel, which I presume (or assume :)) is not significant.

>>> Beginning diagnostic 1.03.06

I'd be interested in a copy of bits of the flash (kernel, bootloader and sky player) if you can extract them. From the command line:

Code:
humax# dd if=/dev/mtd5 of=/mod/tmp/kernel bs=1M
humax# dd if=/dev/mtd3 of=/mod/tmp/loader bs=1M
humax# dd if=/dev/mtd2 of=/mod/tmp/backup bs=1M

Then upload the three files under /mod/tmp to somewhere for me (anonymous FTP to ftp://hpkg.tv/upload is one option). Thanks!

I'd be interested in a copy of bits of the flash (kernel, bootloader and sky player) if you can extract them. From the command line:

Code:
humax# dd if=/dev/mtd5 of=/mod/tmp/kernel bs=1M
humax# dd if=/dev/mtd3 of=/mod/tmp/loader bs=1M
humax# dd if=/dev/mtd2 of=/mod/tmp/backup bs=1M

Then upload the three files under /mod/tmp to somewhere for me (anonymous FTP to ftp://hpkg.tv/upload is one option). Thanks!
I would be delighted to help in any way I can but you have to remember that I am not completely familiar with the command line options. If you or someone can post an "idiots" guide to help me then I will proceed. I was a systems engineer working on PLC systems and did basic programming on DOS based systems so I have the foundations.

Back