HDR Fox T2 Wireless Dongle

Are there any non-alphanumeric characters in your password? I believe the Humax is quite picky about this and there have been reports of people having to change their passwords in order to get a connection.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!!! Entered wrongly! Right, firstly thanks to the two of you who answered an idiot. The T2 asks for Password, when what it really means is Network Key!! I should have realised this. What I eventually found was that the netkey I'd transposed to a notebook, I'd made confusing. What I'd read as a 6, was in fact a lower case B!
I'm now connected and all is brilliant; well almost. Is there a way to get subtitles on iPlayer like there is available on the web version? Apart from that, iPlayer is playing maximum resolution with no hang-ups. Youtube I've discovered gives 'incorrect file type' quite a lot, which is a bit of a downer, but apart from that fine. Internet radio, although not quick, is a vast source. I now feel that I've got a true entertainment centre at the end of my fingers (no comments please!)
Thanks
Max

while looking through the hd fox-t2 linux filesystem i noticed that only the rt3070.ko module file was there maybe upon next kernel compile the rt2870sta module could be added that would support a larger array of rt chipset dongles you can flame me if i'm talking rubbish as i know nought about linuxy things :)

We have talked about widening the dongle support, but when you can source the "right" dongle for less than a tenner, what's the point?

good point black hole however i have a couple of reasons one being so i can use a smaller dongle that draws less power from the single usb port of hd fox-t2 (only a few rt3070 ones available that have external antenna and cost over a tenner) and also so i can run the box at 300mbps instead of 150mbps like the rest of my clients on my wifi network could one maybe insert a driver into the running kernal with a package or command line tool or is the system read only?
i just thought the compilers of the custom firmware could somehow insert the newest rt2870sta (or maybe others?) which includes support for rt3072 devices for 300mbps and support for a couple of other chipsets. i'm sure the configuration would be the same as the rt3070 as its from the same family of drivers.

I have tried an RT3072 chipset device and it does work, allbeit a little odd.

I bought a Sinmax IT-7200ND from a well known auction site for about £18 delivered. This one came via America from a Chinese seller. The first one I received was broken and would not see any wireless devices, whatever the operating system or device driver.

The replacement arrived yesterday and when I plug it into the HDR Fox T2 it automatically sees the adapter and can see 3 networks.

The odd thing is my network is made up of a Billion Bipac 7800N connected to the internet at just over 20Mbps. Connected to that over a 100Mbps Ethernet link is a Fonera 2.0N access point. The Sinmax sees the Fonera but not the Billion router, perhaps a chipset/driver issue on the Humax? Both my routers use WPA2 PSK on different channels (11 and 1 respectively) and both the same passkey - no spaces or odd characters. I have tried manually entering the Billion's details in without luck. So I settled for the Fonera. It shows as being connected at 270Mbps and is about 10 metres away through 2 walls in an old building (NB the connection from the Fonera to the Billion router only runs at 100Mbps, which I appreciate is the same speed as the T2's Ethernet port)

I have been able to watch iPlayer via wireless flawlessly without any stuttering or caching, which I could previously do over Ethernet cable.

While the Humax was idle, I copied a 2.1GB recording of Wallander from the T2 to my computer via ...
a) Cat 5E cable connected directly between the T2 and the Billion router. It took 3 minutes 21 seconds.
b) Wireless conected to the Fonera. It took 5 minutes 46 seconds.

I am using Custom Firmware 2.11 on Humax Firmware 1.02.27 (yes, I know I need to update!)

I don't have another compatible wireless adapter to test, so I have no benchmark to set this against.

I primarily bought the Sinmax card to use on my netbook/laptop for better connections while travelling but it does seem to work on the Humax.

Has anyone else had any luck?

The joys of wireless networking !!!

The only garanteed solution is to connect a network cable between the 2 devices.

How would you do this I have Windows 7 a ethernet cable and Humax HDR FOX T2 can you connect them and make a Homegroup, I am very new to this kind of thing.

It is possible to connect your Humax directly to a P.C. using an ethernet cable, this would normally require a cross-over ethernet cable, but it has been reported that the Humax can auto-correct for this so a normal ethernet cable should also work. You will have to set the P.C. and the Humax to non-DHCP and manually configure both so that they appear on the same network e.g. force the P.C. to use IP 192.168.1.1 and the Humax to use IP 192.168.1.2

Equipment of recent vintage no longer requires a cross-over cable for point-to-point Ethernet, it auto-negotiates (somehow) and resolves itself.

Equipment of recent vintage no longer requires a cross-over cable for point-to-point Ethernet, it auto-negotiates (somehow) and resolves itself.
There's no guarantee of that unless you're using Gigabit kit. Auto-MDIX isn't, for example, supported by the Humax.

I got it working but seems to have stopped now :( but have managed to set up a USB drive at the back to store my files, just have to do the old fashioned method and copy them from the front USB slot, bit of a pain but it's better than nothing.

Funny thing, my Realtek-chipset Ebay-special dongle which worked fine until now (and still does -- 'cos it detects my neighbour's wi-fi) resolutely refuses to connect to my network any more. I added a TP-Link range extender WA830 and everything else seems to hook up as normal. I hammered in the wi-fi settings again but it won't have any of it. Have pulled my hair out for several nights. Would anything in a recent firmware update (which sneaked in one night) have affected the wireless connectivity I wonder? :confused:

Take out the range extender and see if it goes back to normal. I can't get a connection to my MiFi 3G personal access point, even though the initial scan finds it, so there are definitely devices/configurations that are not supported.

Funny thing, my Realtek-chipset Ebay-special dongle which worked fine until now (and still does -- 'cos it detects my neighbour's wi-fi) resolutely refuses to connect to my network any more. I added a TP-Link range extender WA830 and everything else seems to hook up as normal. I hammered in the wi-fi settings again but it won't have any of it. Have pulled my hair out for several nights. Would anything in a recent firmware update (which sneaked in one night) have affected the wireless connectivity I wonder? :confused:

also set all your aps and routers to channel 5 or above in the wireless settings as both my rt3070 dongles only see my routers in this channel range
and you say realtek-chipset i think you mean ralink-chipset as the hd and hdr don't support any realtek dongles if it is a realtek chipset then thats your problem

Back