HDR Fox T2 Wireless Dongle

Hi Guys, I've just bought a HDR Fox T2 (my 9200 died) and an Edimax EW-7711UAn (windows 7 sticker) and am having troubles, tho not quite the same as Deeppurple.
The dongle does detect my BT Home Hub 3 (channel 13) just fine even tho the SSID has spaces in it and suggests WPA2(TKIP+AES) or somesuch which I suppose matches the home hub's recommended 'WPA & WPA2'. So I type in my password, which includes spaces, press the confirm button and instantly it comes back with 'password incorrect'. Its the right password for sure. There's no hesitation at all which makes me wonder if its really tried to contact the home hub and got a bad response or if its simply tripped up on something internally. If its a mismatching security setting I'd expect the error to say so. I assume others must be using the home hub ok with that default security setting, its weird.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

So I type in my password, which includes spaces, press the confirm button and instantly it comes back with 'password incorrect'.
I have a recollection that the Humax will not support a password with spaces or various other special characters.

Aha, thanks Martin, I'll give that a try. I dread having to visit all the other wifi devices to reset the password to something else tho. I'll dock Humax a point for arbitrarily disallowing spaces in a pass phrase if true.

Hurrah, it works and everything is fine. So the SSID can have spaces but the password can't. Many thanks for your help Martin. I'll get used to the changes from the 9200 and then consider upgrading from the 1.02.29 version software. Looks good so far!

I'll get used to the changes from the 9200 and then consider upgrading from the 1.02.29 version software. Looks good so far!
I would suggest upgrading to 1.02.32 from the Humax beta web site which provides a significant improvement to the automatic tuning. The only later version is an unofficial release of 1.03.06 but I regard that as something for the brave. There has been talk of an even later version being in the works but it hasn't seen the light of day yet.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll probably do that sometime soon. My wife wouldn't be sympathetic to 'brave' as far as the hummy is concerned, so I'd better stick to the official from Humax beta.:)

Hi, i have a Belkin F6D4050 V1, according to a google search it does have the Ralink RT3070 chipset but when i've plugged it in, the wifi is still greyed out. Is there anything i can try or should i just assume this isnt going to work?

Hi, i have a Belkin F6D4050 V1, according to a google search it does have the Ralink RT3070 chipset but when i've plugged it in, the wifi is still greyed out. Is there anything i can try or should i just assume this isnt going to work?
Did you make sure you unplugged any Ethernet cable and restarted the box?

No ethernet cable connect and restarted via the power switch on the back. Its standard humax firmware does that make a difference?

No. The first step is to check you have a working dongle by using a PC or something, there's a fair chance it needs sending back.

I was going to suggest that people run lsusb with a dongle plugged in so one can see that vendor id and product id of the dongle. However lsusb on my humax returns nothing, even with my working dongle plugged in.

So, we'll do it the uglier way. Without the dongle plugged in, run
cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
and note the output.
Plug the dongle in, run the command again, and note the output. There should be a difference, which means that a new USB device was found - hopefully the dongle.

In my case, the output for the dongle includes the lines
P: Vendor=7392 ProdID=7711 Rev= 1.01
S: Manufacturer=Ralink
S: Product=802.11 n WLAN
and this is a working 7711.

It's then a case of Googling the USB id to discover the chipset.

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/273959-wireless-adapter-will-work.html#post2013726
suggests your Belkin (assuming it is USB id 050D:935B) has a RT3070 chipset.

It would have to be done with the custom firmware. The wireless driver that Humax provide is quite old and doesn't know about every manufacturer and device. It's easy enough to extend it for custom firmware users though.

Not at the moment, but I do plan to add support for additional dongles (although probably not for additional chipsets at this stage)

May I suggest this thread title be upgraded to include the 2000T ?
I fully endorse the recommendation for the Edimax EW-7711Uan adapter - currently about £11.90 with free delivery from Amazon themselves.
The addition of the rotatable antenna and the short hardwire USB cable means it can be fitted at the back of the machine into a small space if the 2000T is in a cupboard or TV unit (as mine is).
Once accessed from the Menu as described on Page 9 of the User’s Manual, it was straightforward to set up (with a simple 0000 password in my case).
However, I also had to select "Connect to LAN" - which acquires a suffix of "(WiFi)" - to apply the DHCP entries - the User’s Manual doesn’t mention this.
Nevertheless, with better features and for almost less than half the Humax price, you can't do better.

I also had to select "Connect to LAN" - which acquires a suffix of "(WiFi)" - to apply the DHCP entries - the User’s Manual doesn’t mention this.

Thanks Parsifal - even if this doesn't work I'm really pleased that you bothered to give this advice. It fills me with hope!

Searching for a 5GHz dongle for an old laptop I came across what is described as a Humax dongle (obviously not 5GHz) selling for £8.90. A few of the buyers stated that it was "as described" which to my mind probably means that it is Humax branded as the listings repeatedly describes the dongle as if it is Humax branded.
If I needed a Humax compatible dongle I'd still probably go for the EW-7711Uan at £3 more, but is the cheapest Humax branded dongle source so far?

Link (1st Sep 2014): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUMAX-WIF...rs_Dongles&hash=item1e906b042c#ht_5871wt_1400
seller: forgiventhrumercy
ebay description: HUMAX WIFI 150N USB DONGLE.FREEVIEW;BBC ITV iPLAYER.FREE REGISTERED EXPRESS SHIP
Condition: “Brand new,unused product. Will come sealed in its original plastic coating and antistatic bag. Will arrive in padded enevelope to save shipping costs.repacked for cheap postage,please.”

Selected buyer comments for this listing:
  • Goods as described and prompt delivery
  • really great arrived next day and works fab !!alot cheaper than humax
  • Fast despatch and delivery. Product as described. Thankyou
  • As described. No problems. Very pleased. Recommended. :D
  • Recieved in double quick time exactly as described many thanks

Selected comments for same seller from previous freeview and youview recently expired listings:
  • item as described 100% happy would use again.
  • happy with what got
  • Goods as described and arrived promptly

Back