HDR Fox T2 Wireless Dongle

ps. Any SD stuff can be watched, but it appears that any HD programmes/movies can't due to the copy-protection employed by the TV companies. I can see the folders in the list, but there are no files in the folders when accessing through XBMC.

Oh and XBMC is free to download and use btw. Should have mentioned that in the earlier post!

ps. Any SD stuff can be watched, but it appears that any HD programmes/movies can't due to the copy-protection employed by the TV companies. I can see the folders inn the list, but there are no files in the folders when accessing through XBMC.

It's not the TV companies (though they might have imposed it on Humax), the Humax itself is decrypting SD/Radio but refusing to serve up HD. If you use the "tools" to copy back the HD content decrypted the Humax server might cough it up, or if not af123's Mediatomb should. If you use another Humax as the DLNA client, you get the HD stuff as well!

It's not the TV companies (though they might have imposed it on Humax), the Humax itself is decrypting SD/Radio but refusing to serve up HD. If you use the "tools" to copy back the HD content decrypted the Humax server might cough it up, or if not af123's Mediatomb should. If you use another Humax as the DLNA client, you get the HD stuff as well!
That is good to know that HD can be streamed to another Humax box, didn't know that :)

That's what I'm reading on AVForums (streaming from an HDR-FOX T2 to an HD-FOX T2). (or was it on here?)

Gee, that was quick guys! Many thanks for the info... I nearly understand it too! Looks as though I need to work through the info/links that you have provided, one bit at a time. Now all I need is some free time when SWMBO isn't watching something "important".
Probably wait for the next wet day - always a good excuse for not working on cars/garden/house!
Cheers- again.
John H

Good luck, but it didn't take me more than 5mins to set up on my laptop and the netbook (once my desktop decided to play nice after fiddling with the network settings for ages!) Hopefully you should find it just as easy!

Good luck, but it didn't take me more than 5mins to set up on my laptop and the netbook (once my desktop decided to play nice after fiddling with the network settings for ages!) Hopefully you should find it just as easy!
Well, about 2 hours ago it was raining, so I dived in and downloaded XBMC on the PC & laptop, followed your instructions - as you say it wasn't difficult - and lo & behold, I can now watch recorded video off my Hummy. Brilliant! That'll do it me for now, no doubt I'll pick up other features in due course. Trouble is, I'm still experimenting with it, and the rain stopped an hour ago!

One thing that has amazed me is that the PC & Laptop can each watch the same recording, but each is able to start independently. ie if one person is 30mins into a film on the PC, a second person can start watching from the beginning on the laptop.... though at the moment I can't see how to syncronise them (ie have them both playing the same scene at the same time). The obvious idea of hitting the F/Fwd icon doesn't work as far as I can tell.
Also, when the two devices are receiving video at the same time, priodically each stops waiting for the broadcast to buffer; I don't think it does that when just one device is "on air". And when you pause a film, after about a minute, an error screen pops up and closes XBMC, so I have to start from the beginning again.

Otherwise, I'm very impressed so far. Thanks again!

I bought this USB network adapter off eBay for a fiver:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-150...K_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item3cbbc75785

I found it by searching for RT3070 in descriptions, to find adapters with the same chipset as is used by the official Humax dongle. The adapter is a pleasant rubbery black and works just fine plugged into the back of the Humax box (my base station is about 10m away). I'm using it to play videos streamed from an iomega NAS (ix2-200) via DLNA.

102-1003-1003_i.jpg

And when you pause a film, after about a minute, an error screen pops up and closes XBMC, so I have to start from the beginning again.
That's the biggest problem I've had with streaming - lack of transport control. I generally do my telly watching late in the evening (in bed) and frequently doze off and want to pick it up again next night, so the inability to skip to the last point I remember having seen is no good at all - at least iPlayer does that much.

The solution (or work-around if you like) is to download to the PC (using the WebIF for modders or UPnP Inspector + wget for non-modders). You can wait for the download to finish and play with XMBC or Splash with transport control, or VLC will actually play the file before it has finished downloading (complete with transport control).

Due to an error I've ended up with two Edimax EW-7711UAn Wireless Adapters and I only need one. It's free to a good home, pick up from Slough or Bracknell. Or you can pay me the postage. NOW GONE

My 2p worth, I'm a new owner and tried an old Tenda W311u dongle that was kicking around (RT2870 chipset apparently - maybe Humax boxes like Realtek chipsets), in the front USB, and it hooked onto my network straight away. I have a Billion 7800N router a good 20-odd metres away upstairs and was soon watching Youtube on the TV. However I haven't puzzled out how (or if) I can upload videos over wifi from my PVR onto my NAS raid box, a Synology Diskstation DS211J. The PVR found the Diskstation immediately though, but I can't copy onto it (it's ext4 formatted). I will probably try the dongle on the rear USB, maybe with a short USB extension lead.
Dongle [Ebuyer] http://www.ebuyer.com/149672-tenda-wireless-n150-usb-adapter-w311u
Synology Diskstation http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS211j&lang=enu [Amazon]

-- AlanW

The easiest way would probably be to use one of the existing options to get the file to the PC, and then send it to the NAS.

If you want to copy direct to the NAS using the Humax UI then the best way (assuming you have the mod installed) would be to use CIFS or NFS. Both of these options would need some hand tweaking of configuration files (since they haven't yet made it to the web interface) but once setup, copying can be done using the Humax UI OPT+ function.

If you want to copy direct to the NAS using the Humax UI then the best way (assuming you have the mod installed) would be to use CIFS or NFS. Both of these options would need some hand tweaking of configuration files (since they haven't yet made it to the web interface) but once setup, copying can be done using the Humax UI OPT+ function.
I knew they were in the pipeline, but I'm waiting for them to go main-stream. I'm also unclear about the ins and outs of Samba, CIFS, NFS... subject for a new thread I think.

@AlanW - nice to see you.

;) Hopefully this forum will be getting a plug somewhere in EPE next month as I've just briefly mentioned the Humax in my current Net Work column. I like this forum software too, so I'll be looking at whether I can adopt it on our own servers in slow time.

Have just sourced a black RT3070 dongle off ebay as above to try (if only cos it won't show on the front of the box like the Tenda does).

TBH I'd forgotten I was doing that... I will try plugging a short USB extension lead into the rear at playtime. Generally it depends how well the wifi signal fares when sat underneath a big old telly. The cheapo ebay dongle will arrive in the next day or two and I'll report back.

Back