Interesting Items...

Is there any relationship between the correct reference and the reference you gave?
BH : Black Mountains at GR SN746196
In this example the '6' columns are worth roughly 100 metres, the columns to the left are worth roughly 1km and the next left is worth roughly 10km, so swapping say the '4' with the '9' would move the location by roughly 8km

EDIT
You could also try swapping '4' with '6', '9' with '6', or both '4' and '9' with '6' for three more alternative positions

Last edited:
Oh very good. I did google before posting, but didn't find that link. Not having seen the opening ceremony I didn't know the cauldron articulates like that (nice).

Sodium CARBONATE? Oops! Shirley they could have found a different sodium compound to use!

No, it would be yellower.

It's supposed to be an eternal flame, maintained and relayed from olympiad to olympiad, so I doubt a "flame effect" would cut it!

Hypothetical:

You're half way down the stairs when you realise there's something you might have left upstairs which you will need downstairs (but before you intend to go upstairs again). Do you:
  1. Return up half a flight of stairs to check, with only a chance that was necessary; or
  2. Complete the journey downstairs with only a chance you might have to go back up the full flight to fetch it?
Discuss. I just found myself consciously doing the former. If you're young and full of energy, I suspect you might not care either way.

Before I recently moved to a flat, I would often follow option 1. Trouble is, I frequently found the item wasn’t upstairs (at least on first search) so went downstairs to look for item. After not finding it there went back upstairs to look again. Occasionally couldn’t find the item. By the time I’d finished I’d been up & down the stairs 3 or more times. Did it make any difference whether I’d chosen option 1 or 2? Sod’s Law applies. Whichever option I chose it was the wrong one. Not sure whether it’s my brain or my legs that are more tired.

I might have reported this before: one occasion I went upstairs and forgot what I went for, so I went back down again and remembered what it was, so went up again only to find I had already done it!

Some years ago I was working in a secure environment with segmented offices; I swiped my card to go into an area then realised I had gone to the wrong place and turned to leave again. Some wag said "looking for something?", to which I replied "Yes, my marbles. Can't find them anywhere.".

You're half way down the stairs when you realise there's something you might have left upstairs which you will need downstairs (but before you intend to go upstairs again). Do you:
  1. Return up half a flight of stairs to check, with only a chance that was necessary; or
  2. Complete the journey downstairs with only a chance you might have to go back up the full flight to fetch it?
I think I've solved this. The balance of cost/benefit depending on how far down the stairs you are notwithstanding, my conclusion is it's better to complete the journey. There's a chance of not having to go back, and also a chance that the need will evaporate thus negating a subsequent trip.

I think I've solved this. The balance of cost/benefit depending on how far down the stairs you are notwithstanding, my conclusion is it's better to complete the journey. There's a chance of not having to go back, and also a chance that the need will evaporate thus negating a subsequent trip.
You really need to get out more! ;)

...so we're exporting.
More like moving about 7% of it via the continent, or them moving it via us. Or perhaps they are just pushing the stuff round in circles.
Be interesting to see those numbers on a map of where the connectors are.

Back