Media mistakes

I expect they must have 16k waiting in the shadows then
Even if they do, how can you drop a price by 500%?

I wonder how much available 8k content has risen in that time
The conclusion was there's very little, with just a small amount of 8K content on YouTube, and as (for the moment) most viewing will be done as upscaled 1080 you might as well spend the money on a 4K set because the upscaling looks better.

I just watched the Gadget Show snippet, and, yes, prices tumbling by 500%. What are they on about? Is this some sort of backwards working percentage, that, at launch, prices were 500% higher than today?

It certainly pays to hold back, though.

Attachments

• G2RShCUDh5nNDkrPdftwKD-1200-80.jpg
    G2RShCUDh5nNDkrPdftwKD-1200-80.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 5
I think, translating it from "misinformed" to "informed" language, we might be talking about "four fifths".

Is that a reduction of 4/5th (ie 1/5th of original) or a reduction to 4/5th? :D
The former. I specifically used the formulation in the original context.

Dear Gadget Show,

In the item about 8K vs. 4K TVs in the recent programme (broadcast 12th March 2021), the presenters said "the price of 8K TVs has tumbled by 500%".

Please could you explain what was meant by that, because a price fall of 500% makes no mathematical sense whatsoever.

Let me illustrate:

Suppose the original price was £10,000. £10,000 = 100%. 500% = £50,000. A price fall of 500% = £10,000 - £50,000, so the sale price now would be negative £40,000 - in other words, I buy a TV for nothing and get £40,000 cash back!

If the intention was "the price has fallen to one fifth", ie £2,000, that is a fall of 80%.

It is this kind of ill-informed usage of numbers which gives maths a bad name, and I believe the intention is to create hyperbole. Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

So girls are always asking for it, all walk talking into horizontal phones, and now maths has a bad name?

I thought you were the one who pounced upon people for making statements like this. You are slipping.

How can something be giving maths a bad name if it doesn't have a bad name?

You have totally lost the plot, with your misogyny and stereotyping. So, you say something like, some girls dress provocatively, then backtrack. What was the point of daying it then? Do you really think it is possible for a girl to dress so provocatively as to provoke a sexual attack? You live in another century, where some girls were asking for it.

Don't try to imply i can't reason, or am senile, I can still run rings around you.

Just seen this reported on BBC News Website...

Climate change: Jet fuel from waste 'dramatically lowers' emissions

A new approach to making jet fuel from food waste has the potential to massively reduce carbon emissions from flying, scientists say.
Currently, most of the food scraps that are used for energy around the world are converted into methane gas.
But researchers in the US have found a way of turning this waste into a type of paraffin that works in jet engines.
The authors of the new study say the fuel cuts emissions by 165% compared to fossil energy.

Doesn't anyone understand percentages anymore?

They mean what the author wants them to mean, and to hell with everybody else. Journos are especially bad at this sort of stuff.

Back