Media mistakes

Perhaps they meant the actor.
Fortunately I can’t stand either of them so the name is enough for me to switch off.:D

Perhaps they meant the actor.
Yes, maybe, if actors know anything about new fundamental forces and sub-atomic particles :D:D

Heck, Naga Muchetty (elegant but over-opinionated) can't even tell that two pictures of house sparrows were the hen and the cock.

As I was flicking through changing channels on my HD Fox today, I caught the end of Top Gear (Dave, 19) and it said:
(c) BBC MMVIX
I guess somebody forgot to remove the V when going from MMVIII to MMIX.
It was the original graphic, rather than something that these repeat channels often bodge about with of their own making.

The next programme has just finished and it was similarly afflicted.
Mr. Wilman, you're sacked (12 years late).

As I was flicking through changing channels on my HD Fox today, I caught the end of Top Gear (Dave, 19) and it said:
(c) BBC MMVIX
I guess somebody forgot to remove the V when going from MMVIII to MMIX.
It was the original graphic, rather than something that these repeat channels often bodge about with of their own making.

The next programme has just finished and it was similarly afflicted.
Mr. Wilman, you're sacked (12 years late).
Just seen that on Dave ja vu. Then found someone had posted something similar on another site in 2010. Why use Roman numerals anyway?

Not a media mistake per se, but as the Beeb published it I'm posting it in here:
"The Duke of Edinburgh's funeral will be a "profound" chance for the Queen to say farewell to her husband of 73 years, the Archbishop of Canterbury has said."

What?

Statement of the bleedin' obvious – so many column inches get wasted on teaching people what they should know already (what's this nonsense about teenagers wishing to learn more "life skills" at school – what are their parents for [apparently not parenting]).

I can vouch for a funeral being a vital part of the grieving process.

1618592537219.png

@BH I do not think you can assume that their parents even have those skills themselves. I have to agree with the teens, some time should be allocated for life skills. Far more kids would benefit whatever career path they chose from learning about commerce, cooking. gardening and DIY than algebra, English literature and History.

I do not think you can assume that their parents even have those skills themselves.
Perhaps not, but whose fault is that? When did "parents" absolve themselves of the responsibility for teaching anything to to their kids? Why should anyone think they can only learn at school? I could read before I went to school.

Far more kids would benefit whatever career path they chose from learning about commerce, cooking. gardening and DIY than algebra, English literature and History.
So ditch the pretence that all kids should be aiming for a degree, and bring back the technical colleges with City&Guilds-type qualifications. Degrees are academic, not practical (or shouldn't be).

Besides, the life skills being talked about are not those required for a trade or profession, they're the normal everyday things such as money management and home car maintenance. If you can't teach those to your own kids, shame on you.

What happened to night school? That's where my parents (Dad, anyway) topped up his learning, voluntarily and probably at his own expense. These days we have the Internet and YouTube. If they went looking for knowledge and teaching, they would find it. Just don't expect to be spoon-fed.

Last edited:
Statement of the bleedin' obvious
Really? An "intense chance" to say farewell is obvious?
Once someone has died the funeral is pretty much the only opportunity to say farewell.
That farewell may be profound or intense for the person still living, but how the heck can an opportunity or chance be profound?
Sounds like the AoC trying to earn his pay (stipend?) by using a important sounding words.
Maybe this should have gone in AvP :oops:

I remember in the 60s being forced at school to learn the life skill of making beans on toast. :rolleyes:

@BH When I was a kid money management and home car maintenance along with metalwork and woodwork were taught at school though as optional subjects, they are not things that you can just learn from a book as they require having the correct equipment and supervision. Many degrees these days are not worth the paper they are written on and more and more people are turning there backs on going to university and choosing instead to get a job rather that a lifetime of student debt. A degree is no longer a guaranteed golden ticket into the job of your choice and work experience can be more of an asset. Surely giving kids the option to learn skills that are certain to benefit them throughout their lives and not just forcing them to study subjects that may possibly help them is beneficial and it would prevent them from being as clueless as their parents. Taking those practical subjects off the curriculum has led to generations lacking life skills, not everyone is destined for a life in academia but everyone has to navigate through life.

Back