Media mistakes

EEPhil

Number 28
There’s a very obvious one missing from the list. In-gur-land instead of England.

Edit: As you were, it’s buried in the comments.

OP
RobH1

RobH1

"The Sunday Mail leads with a council "scandal" over a £1m fleet of electric cars. It says South Lanarkshire Council has "abandoned" the 141 vehicles in a car park after saying they would help tackle climate change. The paper adds the council has blamed the pandemic for the cars not being used."

£7K apiece, I'll buy a couple.

OP
RobH1

RobH1

Watching Goblin Works early this morning and they were talking about a swage line. I had subtitles on and it came up with 'sewage line'.

EEPhil

Number 28
Watching Goblin Works early this morning and they were talking about a swage line. I had subtitles on and it came up with 'sewage line'.
Probably the subtitlers were as dumb as me and didn't know what a swage line is, nor what Goblin Works is. Dr Google helped.

everthewatcher

Forum Supporter
Here's what someone in the know posted about TV subtitles in a forum, though it was ten years ago so things might have changed:
It's a pretty damned sophisticated operation. They mainly use speech recognition, but they do revoicing rather than trying to get software to
recognise the actual speaker. So the operator listens and re-speaks what has been said into the SR software.

The operators have canned phrases, and special words kept on file, these are typically specific to each program. So in the middle of a science
clip on the news instead of saying 'higgs boson' they will say 'macro 17'.

The do also have a small number of stenographers/palantypists. They tend to do the really tricky stuff like the horse racing.
[Edit] Further down the same thread someone commented that in a programme about the Nazcar Plains someone clearly had been asked to say
something to camera for overdubbing later as they actually said "You television lip readers are too clever for your own f**king good".

Last edited:
OP
RobH1

RobH1

[Edit] Further down the same thread someone commented that in a programme about the Nazcar Plains someone clearly had been asked to say
something to camera for overdubbing later as they actually said "You television lip readers are too clever for your own f**king good".
Excellent

prpr

The idiots on Newsnight last night got the caption wrong (11:40 in):
amess.png
You really would think somebody would proof-read this stuff wouldn't you?

Last edited: