Media mistakes

There’s a very obvious one missing from the list. In-gur-land instead of England.

Edit: As you were, it’s buried in the comments.

"The Sunday Mail leads with a council "scandal" over a £1m fleet of electric cars. It says South Lanarkshire Council has "abandoned" the 141 vehicles in a car park after saying they would help tackle climate change. The paper adds the council has blamed the pandemic for the cars not being used."

£7K apiece, I'll buy a couple.

Watching Goblin Works early this morning and they were talking about a swage line. I had subtitles on and it came up with 'sewage line'.

Watching Goblin Works early this morning and they were talking about a swage line. I had subtitles on and it came up with 'sewage line'.
Probably the subtitlers were as dumb as me and didn't know what a swage line is, nor what Goblin Works is. Dr Google helped.

Here's what someone in the know posted about TV subtitles in a forum, though it was ten years ago so things might have changed:
It's a pretty damned sophisticated operation. They mainly use speech recognition, but they do revoicing rather than trying to get software to
recognise the actual speaker. So the operator listens and re-speaks what has been said into the SR software.

The operators have canned phrases, and special words kept on file, these are typically specific to each program. So in the middle of a science
clip on the news instead of saying 'higgs boson' they will say 'macro 17'.

The do also have a small number of stenographers/palantypists. They tend to do the really tricky stuff like the horse racing.
[Edit] Further down the same thread someone commented that in a programme about the Nazcar Plains someone clearly had been asked to say
something to camera for overdubbing later as they actually said "You television lip readers are too clever for your own f**king good".

Last edited:
[Edit] Further down the same thread someone commented that in a programme about the Nazcar Plains someone clearly had been asked to say
something to camera for overdubbing later as they actually said "You television lip readers are too clever for your own f**king good".
Excellent

The idiots on Newsnight last night got the caption wrong (11:40 in):
amess.png
You really would think somebody would proof-read this stuff wouldn't you?

Last edited:
From the BBC Newsround page:

'However, it was never going to be an easy task. In fact, after deciding it'd be too tricky to transport the house by land, the couple ended up moving the property across a one kilometre stretch of water - that's roughly the same length as a football pitch!'

You'd soon be knackered playing on a pitch that long!

Prototype football was played from one end of a village to the other so would easily be of the order of a kilometre in length.

I recognise this is just banter, but IMO the issue here is what is commonly understood as a football pitch, and noting that the target audience is children – who might now visualise 1km as the length of a pitch. Pretty bad. I was tainted for years, decades even, by misapprehensions acquired as a child (sometimes by misunderstandings or even misinformation at school).

Because, as a child, great care was taken to measure feet and ensure shoes were foot-shaped, I genuinely thought women with "fashionable" pointy shoes must have pointy feet!

Last edited:
I recognise this is just banter, but IMO the issue here is what is commonly understood as a football pitch, and noting that the target audience is children – who might now visualise 1km as the length of a pitch. Pretty bad.

Exactly.

Of course you’re correct. The problem began when people started using football pitches or buses to describe length; swimming pools to describe lengths, areas or volumes. We have standard descriptions, although being British we can’t make up our minds which ones to use, metres/yards, litres/(pints,gallons) etc. No need to measure in football pitches. If you really must I’m sure the FA has a standard definition for the length. And it isn’t one kilometre! Sloppy journalism strikes again.

I’m sure the FA has a standard definition for the length. And it isn’t one kilometre!
My rough rule of thumb would have been ~100m, but apparently it's 90-120m (105m being common - 115 yards). Maybe this has something to do with 110 yards being 5 chains / half a furlong.

Of course you’re correct. The problem began when people started using football pitches or buses to describe length; swimming pools to describe lengths, areas or volumes. We have standard descriptions, although being British we can’t make up our minds which ones to use, metres/yards, litres/(pints,gallons) etc. No need to measure in football pitches. If you really must I’m sure the FA has a standard definition for the length. And it isn’t one kilometre! Sloppy journalism strikes again.
My pet hate is the continual use, particularly by the BBC, of kilometres for distances in the UK. We measure in miles (e.g. road signs). Even those brought up with the metric system do not associate distances in the UK measured in kilometres. Cars here are calibrated in mph, so to use km for distance is illogical.

Back