Media mistakes

This is an odd one with two aspects - I nearly put it in AvP.
BBC News reporting a Sun article:
The paper said the submarine was still within its limits for operating safely but was diving towards its "crush depth" before the alarm was raised.

This seems tautological as if you are diving then it can only be towards the crush depth (unless you've passed it, at which point are you actually diving?).
I followed the link to the original Sun script and interestingly the beeb have misquoted them. The Sun uses 'sink/sinking', though I think the same tautology applies.

BBC article:
Nuclear-armed submarine suffered malfunction

In the loosest sense of "media mistake", a sign seen at both ends of a proposed road closure.IMG_20231130_093426200_MFNR~3.jpg
Now, what time is the closure starting?

Speaking of road signs, I expect I've mentioned it before, but WTF does this mean?:

EBEC953E-691A-430C-94F5-DB3AB043CA19.jpg

(51.3512624, -2.4424256)

No entry after 10pm, so effectively making it one way after that, but the absence of an end time is confusing.
Looking at the surrounding area it's facing up a bit of a dead end. Some wierd local thing one assumes.

Exactly - after 10pm until when? And WHY???

It's not a dead end, just very narrow but hardly any narrower than the alternatives. What's more, there is no equivalent sign at the other end showing it as one way after 10pm. I doubt it's enforcible.

No, Mill Lane, where the sign is, isn't a dead end. Turning a little to the right is the partner fork to ML, going off to wherever. But if you turn round, the road going that way ends up in some sort of industrial/commercial area with no other exit. So that sign is probably only relevant to people from there as it seems unlikely anyone would come up the other road intending to make a very tight turn into ML.

Is there a two top rotor helicopter in the vicinity?

There appears to be a number of problems with this traffic report. I don't know the area but the road closure doesn't seem to be very close to Bower Hinton or Prophet's Lane. Are there two closures and one isn't shown on Google Maps, or has someone made a complete dog's breakfast of the report?

"Media mistake"? Not really, but...

The numbers round on Countdown, with a current and a retired maths teacher as the contestants:

25 100 75 9 5 5 Target: 924

The hilarity when both of them only came up with 925!

...and then they didn't get this one either!:

25 100 2 6 4 7 Target: 528

Last edited:
Back