[network-shares-automount] package released

I seem to have installed this package in the past, and have a [Shares] folder in My Video with one linked share. I now want to add a 2nd share, but I don't have a [Modsettings] folder. What's the best way to proceed?

It won't work without a [Modsettings] folder for the configuration, so I don't see how you have a working share. Reinstall the package.

I do like how these packages work together. For example, using network-shares-automount to have a link to anotherwhere to store TS files and having the HDR Fox T2 redraw the support files using the sidecar package. Even more impressive is that using TSmuxerGUI to make M2TS files and rename them to TS allows H.264/AAC with full EPG data and transport support, getting around the "no AAC" limitation of AV2HDR-T2 v1.0 which as far as I know is still the most recent version.

I have a BT Hub 5 and wished to access the old Humax HDD plugged into its USB port from both the PC (Linux) and the HDR Fox T2

The drive is accessible on the PC through SAMBA at smb://bthub5 each partition showing as usb1 etc

With this package installed I used the following settings:

Code:
[ModSettings]

smb
Old-Drive
domain=Workgroup
folder=usb2
host=192_168_1_254
mac=ABABABABABAB (leave as is)
password=Password (leave as is)
shareFolder=on
user=User (leave as is)
wakeConstantly? (leave as is)
wakeNow? (leave as is)

With these the HDD is accessible in the media folder under 'Old-Drive' folder and within the 'My Video' folder under '[Shares] Do not delete!/Old-Drive' so files are available in the box menus.

My queries are:

Any way to set a drive folder as the mount point, ie usb2/My\ Video

Has anyone tested transfer speeds of a shared drive vs T2 usb connected?

I strongly recommend you DO NOT use shareFolder=on. This results in the remote mount being accessible in My Video via Media >> Storage >> HDD, which is convenient, but the normal Humax operating code does not expect there to be external mounts integrated into the local file system so will treat the remote storage as part of the local storage... resulting in problems with calculating free space and potentially long scan times for the DLNA indexer.

Stick with shareFolder=off, and then access the remote drives via Media >> Storage >> USB.

Yes, it is possible to create specific mount points but you need to create your own initialisation routines that will execute at boot time: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/symbolic-link.3926/

Stick with shareFolder=off, and then access the remote drives via Media >> Storage >> USB.

Thanks for the advise, but the problem is with share off the mount only appears in media and USB does not appear in storage, what setting needs to change for that to happen?

Thanks for the advise, but the problem is with share off the mount only appears in media and USB does not appear in storage, what setting needs to change for that to happen?
Note that to make all this work, a real USB drive (UPD or HDD) must be fitted to the client unit. This is not an issue for HD-FOX (which requires a USB drive to be fitted in order to host the custom firmware), but catches out people trying this on an HDR-FOX. Alternatively, install the virtual-disk2 package on the client HDR-FOX (but this comes with its own set of problems).
IIRC the problems mentioned have been solved (an annoying on-screen message on startup). Personally, I have a small cheap UPD fitted in the rear USB port at all times.

Any way to set a drive folder as the mount point, ie usb2/My\ Video
Yes, it is possible to create specific mount points but you need to create your own initialisation routines that will execute at boot time: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/symbolic-link.3926/
Further to the above, it is also possible to create an SMB share to a specific sub-folder tree (that can then be targetted by network-shares-automount): https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/network-shares-automount-package-released.1126/post-38582. Note this can be essential for USB drives with SMB, because SMB's default is to mount the whole tree - which means any network-shares-automount mounts as well, which might include cross-mounts from remote network-shares-automount mounts... which sets up a "deadly embrace".

An alternative solution is to use the NFS options in [ModSettings] instead of SMB, because NFS only mounts the My Video folder by default.

File editing is available via WebIF >> Diagnostics >> File Editor >> Open.

Last edited:

Thanks for that, though it does not work as written, my reading of

Code:
video="/media/My Video"
folder="[Unclassified]"
[ -d "$video/$folder" ] && ln -s "$video/$folder" "/media/$folder"

is if folder exists in My Video create a link in media to it, which is the wrong way around, I changed it to:

Code:
video="/media/My Video"
media="/media/"
name="Old-Drive"
[ ! -d "$video/$name" ] && ln -s "$media$name" "$video/$name"

I inserted this into /mod/sbin/scanmounts to ensure it ran after the mount (no need to set name there as the existing code does that).

That works, but as you found the symbolic shows in the webif but does not show on the box!

the mount only appears in media and USB does not appear in storage
Black Hole said:
Note that to make all this work, a real USB drive (UPD or HDD) must be fitted to the client unit.

Sorry didn't spot that, annoying, but as you and prpr suggested the virtual-disk2 package solves that problem :)

Further to the above, it is also possible to create an SMB share to a specific sub-folder tree (that can then be targetted by network-shares-automount): https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/network-shares-automount-package-released.1126/post-38582. Note this can be essential for USB drives with SMB, because SMB's default is to mount the whole tree - which means any network-shares-automount mounts as well, which might include cross-mounts from remote network-shares-automount mounts... which sets up a "deadly embrace".

Thanks but I tried all combinations and it just does not work in my scenario, perhaps the BT Hub does not play as nicely as what you are using. :(

Found a problem, once a symbolic link is created it seems you can't delete it!

i.e. having created a link with

Code:
ln -s "$media$name" "$video/$name"

then removing the linked device and deleting the created link, as soon as the device is re-connected the link re-appears!

so any idea how to safely delete a symbolic link without deleting the content it links to?

Bit of a random observation this: I tried setting shareFolder=on for three SMB mounts to HDR-FOXes from a HD-FOX. I got the [Shares] folder under Video (not My Video on a HD-FOX) and it all seemed to work, but the HD-FOX was unstable and froze repeatedly trying to play back over the network.

I turned off shareFolder again and normal service resumed.

Proposed patch to /mod/sbin/scanmounts to support a hidden ModSettings directory is here.

Last edited:
Hi, I need some help with this as I have checked and double checked this but can't get a share to mount.

domain=WORKGROUP
folder=DVDS1
host=192_168_1_92 (4.0KiB)
mac=
password=
shareFolder=off (4.0KiB)
user=
wakeConstantly?
wakeNow?

Log ...

umount: can't forcibly umount /media/DVDs1: Invalid argument
4999Mount failed...
4998mount: mounting //192.168.1.92/DVDS1 on /media/DVDs1 failed: Invalid argument
4997mount -t cifs //192.168.1.92/DVDS1 /media/DVDs1 -o user=,password=,domain=WORKGROUP,unc=\\192.168.1.92\DVDS1
4996192.168.1.92 is on-line - attempting to mount DVDs1
4995umount: can't forcibly umount /media/DVDs1: Invalid argument
4994Mount failed...
4993mount: mounting //192.168.1.92/DVDS1 on /media/DVDs1 failed: Invalid argument
4992mount -t cifs //192.168.1.92/DVDS1 /media/DVDs1 -o user=,password=,domain=WORKGROUP,unc=\\192.168.1.92\DVDS1
4991192.168.1.92 is on-line - attempting to mount DVDs1
4990umount: can't forcibly umount /media/DVDs1: Invalid argument
4989Mount failed...
4988mount: mounting //192.168.1.92/DVDS1 on /media/DVDs1 failed: Invalid argument
4987mount -t cifs //192.168.1.92/DVDS1 /media/DVDs1 -o user=,password=,domain=WORKGROUP,unc=\\192.168.1.92\DVDS1
4986192.168.1.92 is on-line - attempting to mount DVDs1
4985umount: can't forcibly umount /media/DVDs1: Invalid argument
4984Mount failed...

On another machine I can mount the share with the command copied from the log (above) ...

$ sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.92/DVDS1 /media/DVDs1 -o user=,password=,domain=WORKGROUP,unc=\\\\192.168.1.92\\DVDS1
michaelzfreeman@michaelzfreeman-Swift-SF113-31
~
$

I have to back slash the backslashes otherwise I get ...

michaelzfreeman@michaelzfreeman-Swift-SF113-31
~
$ sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.92/DVDS1 /media/DVDs1 -o user=,password=,domain=WORKGROUP,unc=\\192.168.1.92\DVDS1
[sudo] password for michaelzfreeman:
mount.cifs: bad UNC (\192.168.1.92DVDS1)

At first the share on the humax did mount. Then I tried playing something and the share was suddenly not there anymore. I just found a core dump in the share directory that was not there before and deleted it (oops, probably should have kept it right?). Did the humax network-shares-automount package crash and something was left in a bad state hence why it does not mount now ? (just guessing).

I don't understand why there are discrepancies between "DVDS1" and "DVDs1" in the log dump above, I assume it is something the forum presentation layer is doing rather than yourself (which is why listings should be in CODE tags rather than just pasted - see Newbies' Guide to the Forum - click).

I don't use shares from my PC, but I assume you have specifically declared them as shares to Windows otherwise you couldn't access them at all.

Firstly set up a Share folder on the PC.
To create a share folder in win7 - Open Windows Explorer and select the drive or directory where you want to place the Folder. –> File New –> Folder
Name that folder -> HumaxPCMedia –> right click that newly created folder. select sharing –> advance sharing –> click on “share this folder” –> ok and close
Confirm it is shared by checking in Network –> Your PC. It should be present there.
Now setup another Network Share on the HumaxHD to enable access to the “HumaxPCMedia” from it. – Name it HumaxPCMedia
Once it has been created, input the following:
Domain=Workgroup (or whatever your workgroup is named) (To find out what it is actually named – Control Panel – System and Security – System – The name will be to the right of Workgroup. Also take a note your PC name on the same page)
Folder= HumaxPCmedia
host=the network address of your PC
mac=ABABABABABAB (only needed for wakeUp)
password=your PC access password (that’s the password you use to login to your PC)
sharefolder=off
user=your pc name (found in Control panel – System – Computer name (as above). If the name has –PC after it, ignore that part. So if it was alpha-PC – you only need to use alpha)
wakeup=off
Then restart the HD box – check webif-diag-scanmounts.log to see if it has mounted and confirm by Media-blue button-USB on the remote. This should give access to the Sharefolder on the PC.

UPDATE READ FIRST: I found the problem. My Kubuntu machine is using Samba 4. The Humax is Samba 2. The two don't work together it says further up the thread (previous page I think it was). How to get round this ? Or use NFS I guess.

~~~

I don't understand why there are discrepancies between "DVDS1" and "DVDs1" in the log dump above, I assume it is something the forum presentation layer is doing rather than yourself (which is why listings should be in CODE tags rather than just pasted - see Newbies' Guide to the Forum - click).

I don't use shares from my PC, but I assume you have specifically declared them as shares to Windows otherwise you couldn't access them at all.

That was because the original directory name in ModSettings-->smb was "DVDs1". I changed it to DVDS1. In fact I did more than that ...

I removed network shares, cifs and virtual disks packages, rebooted and then reinstalled (I also deleted USB Disks and Mod Settings dirs before reinstalling).

Now I get ...

977umount: can't forcibly umount /media/DVDS1: Invalid argument
976Mount failed...
975mount: mounting //192.168.1.92/ on /media/DVDS1 failed: Invalid argument
974mount -t cifs //192.168.1.92/ /media/DVDS1 -o user=,password=,domain=WORKGROUP,unc=\\192.168.1.92\
973192.168.1.92 is on-line - attempting to mount DVDS1
972umount: can't forcibly umount /media/DVDS1: Invalid argument
971Mount failed...
970mount: mounting //192.168.1.92/ on /media/DVDS1 failed: Invalid argument
969mount -t cifs //192.168.1.92/ /media/DVDS1 -o user=,password=,domain=WORKGROUP,unc=\\192.168.1.92\
968192.168.1.92 is on-line - attempting to mount DVDS1
967umount: can't forcibly umount /media/DVDS1: Invalid argument
966Mount failed...

Based on ...

ShareFolder=DVDS1
domain=WORKGROUP
host=192_168_1_92 (4.0KiB)
mac=
password=
shareFolder=off (4.0KiB)
user=
wakeConstantly?
wakeNow?

What should wakeConstantly? and wakeNow? be ? Are they supposed to have "=no" at the end ?

BTW the actual shared directories are on a Kubuntu machine.

Last edited:
How to get round this ?
It is possible to tell Windows to configure for SMB compatibility. I'm not sure you'll have much joy trying to access Windows by NFS.

What should wakeConstantly? and wakeNow? be ? Are they supposed to have "=no" at the end ?
Leave as are unless you need to change them (same with all the settings). Those particular entries are flags for Wake-on-LAN operation at the far end.

NFS is definitely a better bet for your Kubuntu shares.

If you were able to degrade your Kubuntu Samba to v2, security fiends would suggest that you should also firewall the Kubuntu machine in some way so that the SMB v2 is only accessible from certain machines.

Back