[network-shares-automount] package released

You were right, I was worrying unnecessarily! I just used the existing "share" and bingo, it works! I do need to have a USB stick plugged in though.

The virtual-disk2 package overcomes the need for a real physical USB drive to be plugged in (the Humax software has to be poked by one or the other, in order to "see" our virtualised USB mounts).

However, it is reported that virtual-disk2 causes the Humax to display the "what do you want to do with this USB drive" icons every boot. Some people have reported this happens every time with a real USB drive plugged in too, but I have never seen it so I am interested to know how common this is and why it happens. I only see the USB menu when a drive is plugged in after the Humax has booted (having not been plugged in during boot).

However, it is reported that virtual-disk2 causes the Humax to display the "what do you want to do with this USB drive" icons every boot. Some people have reported this happens every time with a real USB drive plugged in too, but I have never seen it so I am interested to know how common this is and why it happens. I only see the USB menu when a drive is plugged in after the Humax has booted (having not been plugged in during boot).
I would have been one of those that reported this problem with an external drive. I think the reason it happens is that the drive is quite slow to wake up and be recognised on the USB bus. In this case the icons appear and the drives are mounted as sda internal and sdb external.

If the Humax is put into standby and restarted within 30 seconds the external drive does not have sufficient time to go into standby. In this case the icons do not appear at startup and the drives are mounted as sda external and sdb internal.

Hi all this may have been asked before my apology's if it has i have been using CF2.15 network-shares 1.4.2 and virtual disc2 all works a treat. I do have the tiny problem of what do you want to do with the USB drive at power on I just push exit or blue, not a major prob. I was wondering (the reason for this post) can the shares auto mount end up in the my video folder instead of the usb drive. this rely confuses the wife and kids.
Also just like to say the custom firmware is a dream and all the packages.:)
cheers;)
Andy

That's what the "shareFolder=" option is for - but beware. If you are mounting a NAS (for example) into the My Video system, the Humax will regard the NAS as an extension of its own drive, with all the consequences. It is also very easy for the wife & kids to delete everything on the NAS. In my opinion it is better to train the users.

Post 248 (on page 13) shows an example with "shareFolder=on".

PS: Press "Exit".

Thanks everyone for the above posts, very helpful. I have got network-shares-automount installed between the HDR in the Kitchen (used mainly by the groan-ups) and the HDR in the sitting room (used by the kids) for wifi.

It is also very easy for the wife & kids to delete everything on the NAS".

In regards to this, and also accidental deletion of Mounts/shares, I was wondering is there a command line prompt I could use to recursively lock all files on the HDR in the kitchen? I would like to prevent the kids from browsing the films and programs saved there (incase there is bad language etc)? Using OPT+ >>Lock on each file would be tiresome.

I thought 'menu/settings/preferences/Parental Control/guidance/all content' on the kitchen HDR was doing this. Not the case. This only requires the pin code to be inserted in the kitchen to view any file (whether on that box or the other HDR or PC).

By locking the files on the Kitchen HDR I still have to put in the PIN to watch the show but : 1. It would prevent the Share from being deleted (accidently) as still the Humax prompts for the PIN (which the kids dont know) and also 2. It would mean that all the files recorded on the kitchen would need a PIN to be accessed whether they are viewed on the kitchen or via DNLA .

If a locked file (requiring the Humax PIN to be entered) was at the top of the folder heirarchy in a mount would that add extra protection from accidental deletion of share? (i.e. would it be the first file to be deleted or the last ? - If it was the first file to be deleted the humax prompt to ask for a PIN would stop the Kids and Wife potential problem of erasing the MOUNT and all all its files ).

I think it is not too difficult, the hmt command line utility supports setting and clearing the lock flag so it would only be a case of writing a script to scan for .hmt files and set the flag in them.

However, that would lock all existing files rather than future files, so maybe it would be better if an Auto-Lock set of options were added to the WebIF.

It could be decrypted if the decryption process cleared the lock flag and set it again afterwards, unless the lock flag prevents the file from being indexed.

Blimey folks, a whole new world on this thread which started over 12 months ago and I missed it...

Sorry if I am going back to basics a bit here but i have installed the automount package and am trying to initially mount a shared drive off my PC. I'd like then to move onto mounting a folder off my NAS but baby steps first. I must be doing something wrong though as I cant get it to work. I've read as much of the 25 pages on this forum as I can right now looking for answers so apologies if this has been asked before. The log is showing this:
192.168.1.101 is on-line - attempting to mount HumaxPCMedia
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.101/HumaxPCmedia /media/HumaxPCMedia -o user=User,password=Password,domain=Workgroup,unc=\\192.168.1.101\HumaxPCmedia
mount: mounting \\192.168.1.101\HumaxPCmedia on /media/HumaxPCMedia failed: Cannot allocate memory
Mount failed...

I am running win7. The only place I can find to create a shared folder with the advanced settings I saw referred to somewhere is in the C:\Users\Public\Videos\ . What should I be putting in the smb folder name.

I have done the following:

Created a folder in smb on humax called HumaxPCMedia
Created a folder on my PC at C:\Users\Public\Videos\HumaxPCMedia
Folder on PC is shared as far as I can tell
Windows7 workgroup is called Workgroup
PC is at 192.168.1.101
Humax folder settings:
Domain=Workgroup
Folder=HumaxPCMedia
host=192_168_1_101
All other folders configs as default

What am I doing wrong?

This is the best help I can find for a Windows mount:

Post 141 (page 8 - click)

The mount will be found on the Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB list (unless you set shareFolder=on, in which case it will be found in My Video - not recommended but some users like it, see post 484), and as a virtual USB a real USB needs to be fitted (or virtual-disk2 installed).

It will probably be easier to mount your NAS than Windows, there are examples in the topic.

I had an unusual glitch today. I was renaming a recording via HD1 from a mount of HDR1, and suddenly the mount only contained My Video (it usually contains everything under Media) and there was nothing under My Video except the "upper folder" .. link.

I checked the WebIF and HDR1 looked intact (recording not renamed), checked on-screen and the Media browser looked intact, rebooted HDR1 (which failed to come up) no change.

Fortunately rebooting HD1 restored normality.

It may be nothing, but I am logging the event in case a pattern emerges.

Blimey folks, a whole new world on this thread which started over 12 months ago and I missed it...

Sorry if I am going back to basics a bit here but i have installed the automount package and am trying to initially mount a shared drive off my PC. I'd like then to move onto mounting a folder off my NAS but baby steps first. I must be doing something wrong though as I cant get it to work. I've read as much of the 25 pages on this forum as I can right now looking for answers so apologies if this has been asked before. The log is showing this:
192.168.1.101 is on-line - attempting to mount HumaxPCMedia
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.101/HumaxPCmedia /media/HumaxPCMedia -o user=User,password=Password,domain=Workgroup,unc=\\192.168.1.101\HumaxPCmedia
mount: mounting \\192.168.1.101\HumaxPCmedia on /media/HumaxPCMedia failed: Cannot allocate memory
Mount failed...
I am running win7. The only place I can find to create a shared folder with the advanced settings I saw referred to somewhere is in the C:\Users\Public\Videos\ . What should I be putting in the smb folder name.

I have done the following:

Created a folder in smb on humax called HumaxPCMedia
Created a folder on my PC at C:\Users\Public\Videos\HumaxPCMedia
Folder on PC is shared as far as I can tell
Windows7 workgroup is called Workgroup
PC is at 192.168.1.101
Humax folder settings:
Domain=Workgroup
Folder=HumaxPCMedia
host=192_168_1_101
All other folders configs as default

What am I doing wrong?

OK I managed to mount a windows directory. Set up a windows user account for Humax and used the username and password in the directory settings. Settings as follows:

I have also been trying to mount my NAS folder but without success. Can anyone guide? Actions taken so far;
  • NFS activated on the NAS for the share folder '3Video'
  • Folder 3Video created in nfs folder under Humax [modsettings]
  • modsettings entered as

with error showing in scanmounts.log as:
192.168.1.149 is on-line - attempting to mount 3Video
mount -o soft 192.168.1.149:/Multimedia/3Video /media/3Video
mount: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused
Mount failed...
(continued on next post)

And also tried modsettings as folder=3Video, with similar scanmoutns.log error:

192.168.1.149 is on-line - attempting to mount 3Video
mount -o soft 192.168.1.149:/ShareFolder (use / for slash) /media/3Video
mount: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused
Mount failed...

Have also tried using the smb method which was successul for Win7 share, except using the NAS admin username and password, but with no success.

Help please as I'd really like to get this to work. Cheers.

Bought my HDR T2 recently and installed the excellent custom firmware.

I'm now trying to get access to movies stored on my password protected share Buffalo Linkstation but despite hours of trying different permutations I don't seem any further forward. From my android tablet I have set up access to files on the Buffalo via smb (requires user name and password of course) and the movie files are in various sub directories of 192.168.0.32/share/Videos I can also access the files remotely over the net via my external ip address so can't believe I am struggling so much with this.

Having read this entire thread a few times I've got myself completely confused but based on what I've read and my fear of accidentally deleting files from the Buffalo this is what I've done...

Installed virtual-disk2 (which I believe negates the need for me to use a usb stick)
Installed network-shares-automount which has created a [ModSettings] folder in /media/My Video Within the [ModSettings] folder I've created a new folder in the smb sub-directory called Buffalo within which I've got. ..
domain=WORKGROUP
folder=share_Videos (the full path is 192.168.0.32/mnt/disk1/share/Videos but I've tried all options here)
host=192_168_0_32
mac=ABABABABABAB (only needed for wakeUp)
password=pass (share password on Linkstation)
shareFolder=off
user=mynameismyname (share user name on Linkstation)
wakeConstantly?
wakeNow?

Neither this or any of the other permutations I've tried have worked and the scanmounts.log shows...
192.168.0.32 is on-line - attempting to mount Buffalo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.32/share/Videos /media/Buffalo -o user=mynameismyname,password=pass,domain=,unc=\\192.168.0.32\share\Videos mount: mounting //192.168.0.32/share/Videos on /media/Buffalo failed: No such device or address Mount failed... umount: can't forcibly umount /media/Buffalo: Invalid argument

Given other people seem to have got this set up painlessly and there are so few parameters I'm either missing an obvious step or have made a stupid syntax error somewhere but I can no longer see the wood from the trees and need some help so would really appreciate some guidance on how I get this to work.

Many thanks in anticipation

Kewal

EDIT - I see in the time I've been typing this someone else has posted a similar question. At least it's not just me!

Help please as I'd really like to get this to work. Cheers.

Sorted it I think, just need to test on Humax when little fella has finished watching Ice Age 3....

According to WebIF I can now see the mount. It helped when I actually switched the overall NFS service on on the NAS...

For Kewal also may help if i explain my network path to you. If you have NFS as an option on your NAS then suggest you use it as it appears easier than the smb setup

My NAS server is at IP 192.168.1.149, and I have a folder on the NAS called multimedia, and in that is a folder called 3video. So in the Humax folder settings I had 192_168_1_149 as host, and Folder =Multimedia_3Video.

For Kewal ....... If you have NFS as an option on your NAS then suggest you use it as it appears easier than the smb setup

Well done! I did try the NFS option too without success though. As I have smb access to the folders via my android tablet I'm sure it must be possible.

On the Linkstation the Shared Folder Support options are: Windows Apple FTP Disk Backup and all are ticked and the Shared Folder Attributes are Read / Write

I've been banned from experimenting for the rest of today but I think my next step may be to uninstall virtual-disk2 and try a usb stick instead.

Kewal

I prefer a real UPD because virtual-disk2 always presents the "new USB drive found" menu on the TV screen when the Humax boots. Any cheap stick will do.

OK, a bit more trial and error before bedtime has resulted in success of sorts....

New settings:
domain=workgroup
folder=share (4.0KiB)
host=192_168_0_32:9000
mac=ABABABABABAB (only needed for wakeUp)
password=pass
shareFolder=off (4.0KiB)
user=mynameismyname (4.0KiB)
wakeConstantly?
wakeNow?

By adding Port 9000 (forwarded to the Buffalo on my router) to the host and limiting the folder settings to the top level "share" I have got a mount and all the folders under share on the Buffalo appear under /media/Buffalo and I can access and play media :)
##Guitar (822.0MiB)
K (11.3GiB)
Music (57.0GiB)
pictures (44.0MiB)
Programmes to Keep (75.6GiB)
R (2.5GiB)
Videos (63.0GiB)
Website (210.0MiB)

I was hoping to create separate mounts to just the Videos and Music folders but if I change folder=share to folder=share_Videos the mount fails.

I still don't understand why that isn't working. If anyone can point me in the right direction to get a "proper" solution I'd be grateful but at least I can access my Buffalo media on the Humax in the meantime.

Thanks a lot

Kewal

OK I managed to mount a windows directory. Set up a windows user account for Humax and used the username and password in the directory settings. Settings as follows:
dooferdog, are you aware that the 13 images in your post #492 are not working? Did you upload them correctly?
They appear to be trying to link to your computer, and are causing the page to load extremely slowly.

I still don't understand why that isn't working. If anyone can point me in the right direction to get a "proper" solution I'd be grateful but at least I can access my Buffalo media on the Humax in the meantime.
Very difficult for anyone without a Buffalo to help out... my guess is the problem is at the Buffalo end, in the way it is set up or the way it implements network sharing.

OK, I'll try the SMB (is this the same as Samba/CIF)?
The Buffalo already has a share (called share), but that shares the whole disk. I'd like to set up another share that just shares the videos directory, but can't see a way of doing this via the management GUI. I can create a new shared folder but all I get are options to give it a name, description, but not an actual directory, only a volume. As I only have one disk, then that'll end up the same as the existing share won't it?

You can share a volume or set up a user, eg, called video, and share that user's home folder.

I can't see any other way to share folders. Apart from editing the .conf file.

On mine, I SSHed in and set up a MEDIA share. In that I put directories for video, pictures and music. In each one I created a symbolic link to each user's corresponding directories, so everything was shared.

Link to enabling telnet

Another link to custom firmwares: see if yours is there

Back