New BBC HD Channels planned

It looks like they are going to add a new DVB-T2 Mux to carry five new HD channels. They'll cram more in as some can time-share as they don't broadcast at the same time (CBeebies HD and BBC Four HD for example).

Ooo... "In the night garden (HD)" - what a treat!

(Also http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23326709)

It looks like there will be two more MUXs in each TV area, the BBC will fit BBC Three HD and CBBC HD into existing Muxes and BBC4 HD, BBC News HD and CBeebies HD / BBC Four HD sharing taking up 2 of 5 HD slots on a new MUX called COM7, leaving 3 slots for commercial TV bids. Another new MUX (COM8) will allow 5 more commercial TV bids, no bids confirmed as yet I understand. The new Sutton Coldfield MUXs will be com7 = Channel 33 and com8 = channel 35, making them a bit 'out of band'

When are "they" (government, broadcasting authorities, broadcasters) going to realise that, just like building more supermarkets, there is no more money in total - just more ways to slice it up?

That is why they are using this space for something useful while they wait for economic circumstances to change, for the telecoms industry in particular.

I think you are missing my point. Non-PSB TV is solely a delivery mechanism for advertising. There is only so much advertising revenue available. The more non-PBS services there are, the thinner the revenue has to be spread so the poorer each service ends up. PBS is funded by taxes. There is only so much tax revenue to go around...

Point of fact. PSB is *not* funded by taxes. I, for one, think it is time it was through some suitable at a distance mechanism.

OK, call it a TV licence if you want, it's still a mechanism for extracting funds directly from the public to support a public service - ie a tax (in the same way that we call the Road Fund Licence / Vehicle Excise Duty "car tax"). As far as I know, the BBC is not funded by charitable donation (the only other source of funds if you eliminate subscription, advertising, and tax).

With non-PBS being reliant on advertising, and with an increasing proportion of the viewing public using PVRs to skip the ads, I wonder how long this business model can survive!

I got the info. from ukfree.tv, there is a link to the new channels HERE, as you can see Mendip also has com7 = Ch33 and com8 = com35, they will all be between channels 31 and 37, known as the 600MHz band
BTW
I've just noticed that transmitted power levels are way down, e.g. all of my 6 current MUXs are at 200kW but the two new ones will be at 6.4kW and 8.3kW, 15dB down, not good

ukfree.tv carries no official weight - it is just some bloke's website and info. such as this is just speculation. I hope you all realise this...

prpr : ukfree.tv carries no official weight - it is just some bloke's website and info. such as this is just speculation. I hope you all realise this...
We won't have too long to wait to find out how accurate it is will we, what makes you doubt the info.?
EDIT
The info. is taken from the Ofcom 600MHz document HERE

Oh my. On my transmitter (Winter Hill) looks like they might be using CH31 & 37. That's not too good either for a CD Aerial.

@Ezra, thanks for the links

@Wallace Similar here 17.5kW compared to 100kW, channels 33 & 35 are also outside the nominal C/D aerial's range (although, I think that I have a W fitted in any case)
Mind you, I am well located, 35km and I can see the transmitter's navigation lights at ground level.

Good point re aerial bands. They took a lot of care to keep the Emley Moor band right the way through switchover, but not people are going to need to swap to a wideband aerial if they want to receive these new Multiplexes.. I have a W anyway since I can see the mast from my garden (albeit two valleys away) I've needed anything else.

The new HD channels are not just a Freeview topic, but we don't have a forum to discuss general broadcast issues. :(

Back