New BBC HD Channels planned

Good idea! Live perpetually in hock for future generations to worry about :thumbsup:

That's how capitalism and finance work. What do you think happens to your money that's in the bank? Where do you think that minuscule interest payment on your savings comes from?

I don't agree with it, but it won't go away unless the whole system collapses, despite what politicians would have you believe. Plus, there are only limited funds for us at the bottom of the pile; they seem to be unlimited when it comes to CEOs, bonuses, etc.

Here's a thought: those Northern Rock depositors got higher rates of interest than most of us until their bank failed. They then got bailed out by us, but their net gain was positive. All those bankers who squandered our money on bad investments also had a net gain over the rest of us. The load of them did pretty well out of our future.

</rant>

As this is being driven by the availability of DTT/Freeview space then I see no need.

I suppose you are right in a way, but the consequence is that Freesat viewers will also get these HD channels. Would anyone with Freesat but not Freeview think to read the Freeview forum? I just thought that a forum which announces and discusses general platform changes might be a good idea. For instance, recently the Wimbledon (semi)finals were being broadcast in 3D on all platforms. If I wished to publicize this, was I supposed to duplicate a post on each platform?

Discussion of the BT channels is another case in point.

The usual channel change announcements promulgated across the sub-forums for all affected platforms should suffice. But I suppose people considering equipment / platform choices would want to know sooner rather than later. I keep forgetting that so many people think they can only have Freeview OR Freesat OR Sky OR Virgin OR BT Vision.

I keep forgetting that so many people think they can only have Freeview OR Freesat OR Sky OR Virgin OR BT Vision.

If you were to read our national newspaper, and were considering an HDD recorder, you would think that the only choices were Sky+ or Virgin Media!

Also, some of us can get Freesat but not Freeview, and vice versa.

BBC3 HD (105) and CBBC HD (73) have arrived on the menu.

105? That'll have to change!

Channel 5 HD.

101 BBC1 HD
102 BBC2 HD
103 ITV HD
104 Channel 4 HD
105 Five HD

Otherwise you get the nonsense of BBC1 HD being 108, BBC2 HD 109, ITV HD 119 and Channel 4 HD 126, as on another platform.

Five have had their chance and mucked people around long enough. And we already have different channels numbers for the same channels on different platforms. The nonsense is already there.

The new HD channel list is :-

73 CBBC HD (0530-1900)
101 BBC1 HD
102 BBC2 HD
103 ITV HD
104 Channel 4 HD
105 BBC THREE HD (1900-0530)
108 Al Jazeera HD

73 and 105 start date is 10th December 2013, with 108 'sometime' in 2013

The other strange numbering is 73 as it is Hi-Def. but not in the low 100's

I have my doubts about the start date of 108 because it is supposed to be on a new MUX, Arqiva C (COM7, Mux E) in the 600Meg. band (C31 - C37). Whereas all the others are on the existing BBC B HD Mux

Back