Old sweeper package to file away one-off recordings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what redundant information I have included, but all I know is flatten works on "My Video" as I have set it, and all sub folders are set not to flatten (and have the associated icon next to them).

As I explained in post #54, when I record a programme that is part of a series, it is subsequently moved into "PTW" and no series folder is added, therefore the way it is currently working is exactly as I want it to.

Previous to sweeper, I manually moved all recordings that were under "My Videos", into either "PTW" or "Films", now with sweeper on the box it is done for me, which saves me doing it, I am therefore very happy with the way it does it, how and why are not something I dwell on, as I am no where near enough intelligent top work out, so I leave it to other more experienced people!

I see. flatten doesn't work on "My Video" at all, it works on folders within it that have not been marked no-flatten. When a series recording is made, the standard Humax process creates a folder for it and records the programme within that folder (subsequent recordings also go in that folder). Once the recording has finished, flatten finds the folder and that it has not been marked no-flatten, moves the recording into "My Video" and deletes the folder. Thus the user may not be aware that the folder existed, but nonetheless it did and flatten works on these first-level folders not "My Video".

Non-series recordings already go into "My Video", so those (and any that have been moved there by flatten or other means) are then subject to the filing rules in sweeper.conf.

Anyone wishing to move series recordings complete with their containing folder should look at the folder commands in sweeper, which is intended to ultimately replace series-filer.

Code:
folder action {fileunder ""}

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious. But this code above does not seem to delete the folder where the filed file came from, leaving empty folders.
Is there a command I'm missing?
Thanks

If there are any remnants left behind, the folder can't be deleted. Use FTP to check. On the other hand, as this is all still under development, perhaps it's not working properly.

It should remove the folder once it's empty (and it will ignore . files such as .series, .autodedup when determining whether it's empty). Anything useful in the log (auto.log) ?

It should remove the folder once it's empty (and it will ignore . files such as .series, .autodedup when determining whether it's empty). Anything useful in the log (auto.log) ?
Sorry the log is too old for the one or two times its happened.
I'll keep an eye on it.

I just checked my box and folders were removed properly but I'll keep an eye on it too.

I have two Humax HDRs, and would like to move all recordings off them onto my Media Server, maintaining the folder structure, so that any show can be watched on either machine without needing to have them both switched on. I have the automount package installed so the basic machinery exists to move files around, but can sweeper do this for me?

This isn't a package I have ever used, but I was trying to understand the syntax, and came across this example:

Code:
Example 4)
folder action {fileunder "Children"} HI = Move contents of a root folder to an existing 'Children' sub folder e.g. from /children to /archive/Children

Can someone explain where /children and /archive suddenly appeared from? (And what is the significance of that HI, which is actually invisible on the packages list?)

Does this mean you have been trying it out? Bung up your config file.

If your example is taken from the Wiki, there is no sign of the "HI" there, and the section after and including the "=" is a wiki explanation and not something to include in your config line.

Check out post 1 in this topic.

This isn't a package I have ever used, but I was trying to understand the syntax, and came across this example:
Code:
Example 4)
folder action {fileunder "Children"} HI = Move contents of a root folder to an existing 'Children' sub folder e.g. from /children to /archive/Children

Can someone explain where /children and /archive suddenly appeared from? (And what is the significance of that HI, which is actually invisible on the packages list?)
The 'HI' is used to create two spaces on the WiKi page, normally multiple spaces are ignored, all text after the '}' is the explanation, you only enter the text in Yellow
Yellow-Text.jpg

Check out post 1 in this topic.

That says that whenever a new folder is found in the root folder, from a series recording(?), that folder is moved to any(?) folder with the name Children. Is it random which folder called Children is chosen? What happens if a series called Children is recorded?

That is what I meant: before I install and use it, I want to understand what it does exactly, and that isn't clear from the documentation. RTFM doesn't help! TFM is incomplete. Are we expecting users to search the forums for an explanation, only to find that that too is incomplete?

The 'HI' is used to create two spaces on the WiKi page, normally multiple spaces are ignored, all text after the '}' is the explanation, you only enter the text in Yellow
View attachment 804

Yes, the HI only became visible when I marked the text on the packages documentation, ready to copy it and paste it here.

from /children to /archive/Children

I knew you were not meant to type that in the rule. It's just that the explanation makes no sense to me. Where did "children" and "archive" suddenly appear from? There is no mention of them in the rule.

Looking for some help, the wife records "downtown abbey" and "the paradise" , both are series linked and are saved into separate folders. How would set it up to file both programmes each week into 1 folder named Tracey's stuff. I've had a look through the wiki and page 1 onwards in this topic but I'm still a little unsure.

Thanks for any help

Looking for some help, the wife records "downtown abbey" and "the paradise" , both are series linked and are saved into separate folders. How would set it up to file both programmes each week into 1 folder named Tracey's stuff. I've had a look through the wiki and page 1 onwards in this topic but I'm still a little unsure.

Thanks for any help

Note: Corrected spelling of Downton.

title {Downton Abbey} action {fileundercreate "Tracey's stuff"}
title {the paradise} action {fileundercreate "Tracey's stuff"}
? But I have no idea from the documentation whether that moves the two folders into Tracey's stuff, or moves their contents there.

I knew you were not meant to type that in the rule. It's just that the explanation makes no sense to me. Where did "children" and "archive" suddenly appear from? There is no mention of them in the rule.

I think the text in the Wiki is wrong in this case.

Fileunder searches down from the path you specify looking for another folder of the same name. So, the rule:

folder action {fileunder Children}

would look for new series folders being created at the top level and then look under Children/ for another folder of the same name (it doesn't just stop at one level but looks through the whole tree under Children) and, if it finds one, move the new recordings to the same place and remove the top level folder.

An example might help:

If you manually moved the 'My Parents Are Aliens' folder from the top level to 'Children/Series/English/Comedy/My Parents Are Aliens' then the next time an episode was recorded the top level folder would be recreated again. The fileunder rule would move the new recordings down to be with the others (within 10 minutes and once other operations like decryption had completed - if appropriate).

To make any top-level series folders follow any manual moves you make, you'd use:

folder action {fileunder ""}

This replicates the functionality of series filer.

If you wanted any children's recordings (identified as such by the broadcaster) to be filed under Children/ in a matching folder, but if no folder is found then you want them to be moved into a new folder under Children/ then you'd use something like:

genre Children action {fileundercreate "Children"}

If you just always want them moving to the level under Children (no searching down the tree), use:

genre Children action {movecreate "Children"}

Note: Corrected spelling of Downton.

title {Downton Abbey} action {fileundercreate "Tracey's stuff"}
title {the paradise} action {fileundercreate "Tracey's stuff"}
? But I have no idea from the documentation whether that moves the two folders into Tracey's stuff, or moves their contents there.

That would work although in this case 'movecreate' would be sufficient.

/Downton Abbey/A_Recording_201310240900

would be moved to

/Tracey's Stuff/Downton Abbey/A_Recording_201310240900

and the top-level Downton Abbey folder would be removed if empty.

That would work although in this case 'movecreate' would be sufficient.

/Downton Abbey/A_Recording_201310240900

would be moved to

/Tracey's Stuff/Downton Abbey/A_Recording_201310240900

and the top-level Downton Abbey folder would be removed if empty.

But post #1 says nothing about moving folders when you use 'move[create]' but just mentions top level single recordings. I think I understand what you mean, that the search is done on the full Unix filename, ie, "/Downton Abbey/A_Recording_201310240900" and a Unix rename operation is performed on that. However, users are more used to thinking in terms of folders now. I think that is what is confusing. The documentation appears to refer to just (non-folder) files. So, returning to the wiki example:

Example 4)

What is /children referring to? A series folder? Then, where does /archive magically appear from? Was it the first or only folder to have a sub-folder called Children? Or was the example supposed to have said {fileunder "archive/Children"}?

Finally, assuming children was indeed a series folder, with a file
/children/recording1
does that then get changed to
/archive/Children/children/recording1
or
/archive/Children/recording1
? None of this seems clear from the documentation.

What happens if there is a series recording called Children? Or two sub-folders called children? Does the rule hang in the first case, or hover in incertitude in the second?

Post 1 says that there are additional actions for folders (fileunder[create]) - the move actions are valid too. It could be clearer!

I have changed Example 4 in the WiKi, hopefully it is correct this time :- Yellow-Text2.jpg
I think Sweeper may need a new Wiki page as a few notes to cover all it's functions is insufficient

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back