[redring] Show red LED ring when recording in standby + other options...

You are correct.

When I was looking at the settings I noticed that Override LED ring brightness? was set to Yes and the Brightness set to Zero. I had forgotten that the default was to show a dim red (amber?) and turned it to No. Override brightness and Zero brightness did not compute, thinking if it was zero, why override. Silly I know!

Would it not be more obvious if it showed Override LED ring amber (default) (Yes/No)

Sorry for confusion. :confused:

Would it not be more obvious if it showed Override LED ring amber (default) (Yes/No)
I don't think so because it is the brightness that you are overriding, not the colour.
We've had the debate a few times and the current choice of words in the settings page seems to be the one that makes sense to most people, although I admit there is still potential for confusion.

Hi,

I just installed official firmware 1.02.32 and the latest custom firmware 2.16 and it seems redring 2.10 package doesn't work properly. The clock on the LED front-panel of the unit can no longer be displayed. Is anyone else having this problem, or perhaps I've just done something wrong.

BTW love the custom firmware - the main reason I bought the unit. :)

Yeah, I had "Disable Scrolling=Yes" and "Display Clock=Yes" in the options. I might re-install the package to see if that helps.

You could remove the rendering package to see if it has any effect.
You will probably need to restart the box afterwards (I'm sure an expert will be along eventually to clarify this).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi,

I just installed official firmware 1.02.32 and the latest custom firmware 2.16 and it seems redring 2.10 package doesn't work properly. The clock on the LED front-panel of the unit can no longer be displayed. Is anyone else having this problem, or perhaps I've just done something wrong. :)
It depends what you was running before the 1.02.32 / 2.16 installation, if you was running an earlier version of the custom firmware and redring you may need to run fix-flash-packages in the Web-If >> Diagnostics screen

Bingo. That's what I was looking for - it all works now. Yes, I was previously running 1.02.29 but since there was no custom firmware 2.16 release for this, I upgraded to 1.02.32.

Thanks for the help - all working again! :)

A few months ago I replaced the HDD in my HDR-FOX T2 and also installed the custom firmware. I was particularly interested in Redring as the scrolling display really annoys me.

After a few days, I noticed that the remote control had become a bit sluggish. This was particularly noticable when pausing or going to fast forward during playback. It isn't a huge difference but there is a difference.

For example, when pausing during playback of something on ITV HD without Redring installed, it is nearly instant. Doing the same thing with Redring installed, there is a pause of somewhere between 0.5 - 2 sec (I'm guessing but that is what it feels like). Curiously though if you press play again and then pause almost immediately afterwards, it will respond almost immediately.

I put up with it for a couple of months but it was really starting to annoy me. I tried replacing the HDD again and it made no difference. So, I uninstalled everything including the Custom Firmware and the remote responded properly again.

I then reinstalled the Custom Firmware (2.19) & tried again. No significant change in the response to the remote. Next I installed Redring and sure enough, the remote became less responsive.

In all other respects, the HDR-FOX T2 seems to be working perfectly.

For the time being, I have returned to my original solution of a piece of black instulating tape over the front display but I would like to be able to use Redring again.

Has anyone else noticed this and does anyone know if there is a workaround or fix?

Many thanks

This is a known side effect of redring. It has to convert single commands sent to the front panel into multiple ones and each command elicits a response from the panel which has to be read. It's a serial bus so there is a delay associated with each command cycle.
It may be possible to reduce the delay by changing some of the locking and I will have a look at that.

FWIW, I think the delay is probably about 0.3 seconds, or 0.6 seconds if you have the clock turned on as it re-enables the clock when you pause if I remember correctly.

ok, that's good to know.

Is there any chance of a cut down/faster red ring that just switches the clock & display off permanently when not in standby? Would that negate the need to read any response from the display?

At the risk of sounding incredibly self centred, the only features I am interested in are the ring colours when in standby and to get rid of the scrolling (which would include having no display at all). I can pretty much get all the other information I need from the onscreen display by pressing the 'i' button.

I really don't know what the actual response delay is but it is enough for me to press the pause button, decide it hasn't responded and press it again (which of course means that it then starts playing again).

It's not a 'deal breaker' for me; the black insulating tape served me well for at least a year before I discovered the Custom Firmware & Redring.

Thanks for your help

You shouldn't be seeing a delay unless you have certain options enabled - could you post your redring configuration file (/mod/boot/redring.conf) or a screenshot of the settings panel?

Thanks for the reply. I'm quite happy to post the conf file if you can tell me how to do it.

I can get to a Telnet Humax# prompt but after that, I don't know what to do.

I tried using Filezilla to FTP but it says "Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server". " Might be that I need to use a username/password other than anonymous but I'm afraid I am out of my depth here.

In the meantime, I have just re-installed Redring and made a screen grab of the settings panel. The only setting I have changed is to switch off the clock. I won't be using the Humax to watch anything until this evening so I'll report how I get on with the commercial breaks.

Attachments

• redringJPG.JPG
    redringJPG.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for the reply. I'm quite happy to post the conf file if you can tell me how to do it.
You can copy the file off the screen from the Web-If e.g.: -
Web-If >> Diagnostics >> File Editor >> Open >> /mod/boot/redring.conf highlight the text and copy, then place text in a {code} box

Code:
sb_led_level 12
ha_rec_level 100
sb_vfd_level 12
fa_vfd_level 100
fa_blue_level 100
fa_rec_level 100
ha_blue_level 25
# blue, red, debug, purple
options 0x8007

Thanks. Here is my redring.conf
Code:
sb_led_level 12
ha_rec_level 100
sb_vfd_level 12
fa_vfd_level 100
fa_blue_level 100
fa_rec_level 100
ha_blue_level 25
# red, noscroll
options 0x0009

Redring 2.11 should be in the repository shortly. It should decrease the delay that was being introduced on pausing.

It only happens on channels with long names as a side effect of the scrolling. It might be possible to do something about it though, I will have a look.

It only happens on channels with long names as a side effect of the scrolling. It might be possible to do something about it though, I will have a look.

So it's more likely on BBC1 SD now with all the long region names that have been added?

Back