replacing hard disk

stephen

Both my T2's hard disks have started to fail with unrecoverable errors, they were bought at roughly the same time so it is not surprising.
My issue is that I have several identical 500gb pipeline2 drives that are perfect with less than 100 hrs but they were formatted and used on the PC, I come now to put replace the faulty drives with these but the Humax doesn't see them to format.
What am I doing wrong please.

Both my T2's hard disks have started to fail with unrecoverable errors, they were bought at roughly the same time so it is not surprising.
What do you mean by unrecoverable errors please?
My issue is that I have several identical 500gb pipeline2 drives that are perfect with less than 100 hrs but they were formatted and used on the PC, I come now to put replace the faulty drives with these but the Humax doesn't see them to format.
Where did you source the drives from?

Might have been ,Novatech. The drives are the same age as the Humax boxes. Just never used apart from some PC file storage.
looking at the smart data generated from the PC, they have both had aound 11 power ons, with 63 hrs.

Both my T2's hard disks have started to fail with unrecoverable errors
Are you running the custom firmware? I presume so, otherwise how would you know these "errors" are unrecoverable?

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/steps-for-repairing-a-disk-of-unknown-faults.3082/

the Humax doesn't see them to format.
It's a stab in the dark, but I suggest pre-formatting them to Ext3. Download the GParted live Linux DVD image and burn it to DVD, boot from it, and use the included partition manager to empty the target HDD and format it Ext3. You could also do this by making a bootable USB drive.

Hi,
Yes custom firmware.
Just trying Ex2FSD on PC which is a volume manager, which supports Ext2 and Ext3.
I can replicate the partitions exactly as the original faulty drive and format Ext3 ?

Just make the whole thing Ext3 and then let the HDR-FOX format it as required - assuming it is now recognised.

If not, I don't know what the answer is. We have seen drives not being recognised before, with no resolution AFAICR.

So, what about these "unrecoverable" errors - you've been through the usual fixdisk stuff?

Why would creating a filesystem on a disk suddenly make it recognisable?
It's just utter guff... like most of the vagueness of the other messages in this thread.

It's something to try. Like I said, I don't recall this type of problem having been solved before, and if you don't give it a try you never know - just saying nay with no alternative suggestion isn't helpful.

It's something to try.
So's squirting washing up liquid down the drain in the hope it will end up in the sea and evaporate and turn into soapy rain which will wash the CV19 off everybody.
if you don't give it a try you never know
You might not.
just saying nay with no alternative suggestion isn't helpful.
Nor is posting vague messages with no detail - "unrecoverable errors" and "500gb pipeline2".

The original drive that was in my HDR was ST3500312CS firmware sc13 P/N 9GW132-191.
So a quick search in this forum reveals
Others have reported that if you have an exact drive replacement, it needs to be part number 9GW132-191 (or maybe later?)

So's squirting washing up liquid down the drain in the hope it will end up in the sea and evaporate and turn into soapy rain which will wash the CV19 off everybody.
My suggestion wouldn't kill anyone or anything, and I qualified it as a "stab in the dark". What have you done to offer help? Nothing, just thrown in quibbles to turn the thread argumentative.

Others have reported that if you have an exact drive replacement, it needs to be part number 9GW132-191 (or maybe later?)
This is an opportunity to gather data and find out what the actual problem is, so how do we do that?

Nor is posting vague messages with no detail - "unrecoverable errors" and "500gb pipeline2".
Give the OP the benefit of the doubt - he might have followed existing advice to the end and found no resolution... hence "unrecoverable".

Last edited:
Stop effin arguin and try to help the OP for Christ's sake.
So far BH is tghe only person to have at lest made an attempt at helping, and 'he who is a bit of an expert' (aledgedly) has just poo pooed that without actually saying anything constructive. GET A GRIP.

In the previous cases, apparently an incompatible Seagate Pipeline disk (part # 9GW132-012) did not support SATA II (3Gbit/s) but only SATA I (1.5Gbit/s).

I can confirm that the 9GW132-012 version does not work with the HDR Fox T2. I just made that mistake thinking I was getting like for like. Wish I'd have looked in this forum earlier!
Currently looking for a suitable alternative either 500Gb or 1Tb, but there are so many options, and I don't want to run into the same issue again as I spent the best part of tonight trying to get it to work! It'll now end up in a PC, so all is not wasted.

Anyone who has successfully updated or upgraded, if you can recommend one that would work with the HDR Fox T2, that would be great. I'm running CF 3.13 (been a fan of the CF for a while!)

Currently looking at the Seagate HDD Internal 1 TB BarraCuda SATA 3.5 Computer Hard Disk Drive - Silver drive (sorry, can't post links yet!) from Amazon. Is it suitable?

Thanks.
Matt

Last edited:
Currently looking at the Seagate HDD Internal 1 TB BarraCuda SATA 3.5 Computer Hard Disk Drive - Silver drive (sorry, can't post links yet!) from Amazon. Is it suitable?
Not really. You would be better off with a Seagate ST1000VM002, if you can find one. Or even a ST2000VM003, if you can find one.

Excellent, thanks, @prpr . I found a ST2000VM003 on Amazon:
Seagate ST2000VM003 Pipeline HD 2 TB 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive - Black
£48.96, delivered tomorrow. I'll get it ordered!

Presumably, as I'm running CF 3.13, this'll go straight in and no need to mess with partitions and putting it in Windows machines, etc?

Cheers.
Matt

It will be interesting to hear what the date of manufacture is for the drive.
Presumably, as I'm running CF 3.13, this'll go straight in and no need to mess with partitions and putting it in Windows machines, etc?
It is the version of the standard firmware that you are using that matters in this case; if it is 1.03.12 that will do the formatting for you.

Be careful. I found similar and was not convinced some of them were actually new. Choose wisely.
I also found some on business.currys.co.uk but you'll pay more for it and for delivery too (not that I would normally advocate buying from Currys).
Let us know how you get on and post the SMART stats as soon as you put it in.
Correct, although you may wish to re-format partition 2 as per the 2TB blog on the Wiki.

It is the version of the standard firmware that you are using that matters in this case; if it is 1.03.12 that will do the formatting for you.

According to the web front end this is what I’m running (I’ve got 2 identical HDR Fox T2s running the same software / firmware):

Web interface version: 1.4.8-8
Custom firmware version: 3.13 (build 4028)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.13)
Loader Version: a7.30
System ID: 80bc.7e00
Serial Number:
Last Boot Reason: Remote control handset

I’ll come back with the date of manufacture when the drive arrives and let you know how I get on.

Thanks!
Matt

The CF is irrelevant. Old versions of the standard firmware were unable to format 2TB HDDs. Absolutely no need to mess around with Windows under any circumstances. Any other advice only applies to drives over 2TB in size, or is optional fine tuning.

Things Every... (click) section 12.

Seagate HDD Internal 1 TB BarraCuda SATA 3.5 Computer Hard Disk Drive - Silver
Desktop/server PC HDDs are optimised for fast random access and high burst data rate, with a high spindle speed (therefore high power). PVR HDDs do not need fast random access, and a moderate but sustained data rate, so a PVR-optimised HDD is optimised for sustained data rate and has a low spindle speed to reduce heat and energy cost. Security CCTV drives are typically optimised to start up quickly for motion-sensing recording and then shut down again. Notebook HDDs might be designed to protect themselves from drops by parking their heads whenever they are not actively transferring data.

Hence the need to select the right type of HDD for the circumstances. Seagate Barracuda is a desktop PC HDD - it will work, but it will be much more power hungry, and much noisier, than the Pipeline.

Last edited:
Back