[rs] Remote Scheduling Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the portal, however I have encountered a slight problem

I leave my HDR on permanaently, always have always will. Because of this, whenever I use the portal I schedule a reboot just after choosing the programmes I want to record. This works fine and within 5 minutes my box has restarted and the schedule os updated.

The problem is that the reboot is for when box is not busy. Busy being presumambly defined as not surrently recording something.
If my other half is at home watching a programme and I remotely tell the box to reboot if not busy, it does not take into account a programme being watched as being busy. So the box restarts in the middle of SWMBO watching a programme, which then on restart has not tracked where it was up to so she has to fast forward to where she was. Thus resulting in me getting an earful, not only for resarting the box when she was watching something, but also cos the box wasnt able to resume the recording from where it left off.

Any ideas or help?

I don't think you can do much about that. I think the definition is recording or playing back a recording. Watching doesn't count.

The problem is that the reboot is for when box is not busy. Busy being presumambly defined as not surrently recording something.

How difficult it would be to include watching as busy? Secondly what would happen if watching is set as busy, then the watcher turns hummy off. Would the hummy have to wait until turned on again to reboot?

Sorry, let me clarify. When I said watching I actually meant playing back a recording.
I dont care if it reboots if its just live telly on (and as i leave the box permanently on, live telly is always on)

I don't think you can do much about that. I think the definition is recording or playing back a recording. Watching doesn't count.
I've just checked and whilst playing back a recording if I schedule a reboot, it would do the reboot thereby throwing you out of the playback.

I've just checked and whilst playing back a recording if I schedule a reboot, it would do the reboot thereby throwing you out of the playback.
It shouldn't do that. I'll double check what is going on.

It shouldn't do that. I'll double check what is going on.
In a similar vein...
Sunday before last, I set a recording and scheduled a reboot via rs, but my router was down unbeknownst to me. I only realised this on Monday evening after we'd put the kids to bed and I started fiddling. I restarted the router, the Hummy logged onto rs to get any pending events, (including the reboot), and it rebooted. Right in the middle of Doc Martin.
SWMBO was not entirely pleased with this, but I'm downloading the torrent as I type, so no great harm done as it happens.
But, I imagine this is not classed as 'Idle' so something's gone wrong there. Anything I can do to help debug?

I take it you mean after installing MyStuff, which like the modded software on the HDR depends on dedicated enthusiasts to come up with the goods. OK, you can now get the Humax to e-mail you when it finds a programme previously beyond the EPG dates, but MyStuff actually books a timer. God I miss MyStuff. I suppose that's two of us who need to wash our mouths out.
Yes, with MyStuff and associated taps. I have yet to find anything else which comes anywhere near to it.:D

Nah. I still have my Toppy running along side the Hummy. If it wasn't for MyStuff and the various patches the Toppy would be an expensive paperweight.

There are pro's and con's for both boxes, but out-of-the-box, the Hummy win hands down - it just works!
Yes, the Humax is better than a Toppy straight from the box, but not after patching and adding taps.:)

I love the portal, however I have encountered a slight problem

I leave my HDR on permanaently, always have always will. Because of this, whenever I use the portal I schedule a reboot just after choosing the programmes I want to record. This works fine and within 5 minutes my box has restarted and the schedule os updated.

If my other half is at home watching a programme and I remotely tell the box to reboot if not busy, it does not take into account a programme being watched as being busy. So the box restarts in the middle of SWMBO watching a programme, which then on restart has not tracked where it was up to so she has to fast forward to where she was. Thus resulting in me getting an earful, not only for resarting the box when she was watching something, but also cos the box wasnt able to resume the recording from where it left off.

Any ideas or help?
You could send your SWMBO a text message asking her if it is OK for you to remotely reboot the box, and await the reply.:)

So the box restarts in the middle of SWMBO watching a programme, which then on restart has not tracked where it was up to so she has to fast forward to where she was. Thus resulting in me getting an earful, not only for resarting the box when she was watching something, but also cos the box wasnt able to resume the recording from where it left off.

Any ideas or help?

The 'box is busy' detection wasn't always working properly. That's fixed in rs 0.1.7-1. Thanks for the reports : )

No so keen on that one af123, colours are in your face and don't like the yellow separators. They, I suppose, could easily be altered. Configured by the end user even. Text layout is easy to read.

Obviously a work in progress, but I personally preferred your original offering to this incarnation.

Here's another EPG option - this was done by csudcy a while ago and I've nabbed it with his permission. It's a bit nicer in that it is rendered as an image by your browser which allows for things like indication of the current time.

http://rs.hummypkg.org.uk/fwepg.html

(There is a bug with the horizontal slider at the moment.)
I'm not sure about that option, I would have to see it populated, and with just my tuned channels showing, but it does have potential.:)

af123: any chance the EPG search can have an operator for Contains?
Also, no matter what I try, "Saw II" cannot be found using the search box despite it being on FilmFour later in the week.

Also, no matter what I try, "Saw II" cannot be found using the search box despite it being on FilmFour later in the week.

I tried playing with this and it won't even find 'saw' on its own let alone saw II. I also (probably like Chris) tried using quotation marks and + signs but it just doesn't wanna find it. Just to test it another way I searched for 'jigsaw' within the descriptions (cos I knew it was in there) and it found that. Is there something odd about the characters in the actual program title name? It should find it on Sat 1st Oct at 23:50

I tried playing with this and it won't even find 'saw' on its own let alone saw II. I also (probably like Chris) tried using quotation marks and + signs but it just doesn't wanna find it. Just to test it another way I searched for 'jigsaw' within the descriptions (cos I knew it was in there) and it found that. Is there something odd about the characters in the actual program title name? It should find it on Sat 1st Oct at 23:50
i searched for saw and it found it as you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back