• The forum software that supports hummy.tv has been upgraded to XenForo 2.1!

This upgrade brings a number of improvements including the ability to bookmark posts to come back to later. Please bear with us as we continue to tweak things and open a new thread for any questions, issues or suggestions in Site/Forum Issues.

[rs] Remote Scheduling v1

MymsMan

Ad detector
We've discussed that to death already. RS isn't much use unless your box is on, at least while you're out!
RS is still very useful without the box on 24/7 but yes there are some circumstance where you wont be able to make a last minute schedule change
The merits/costs of running a disk 24/7 have certainly been done to death in many threads

prpr

Why would anyone leave a box on 24/7?
Covenience, always being able to spin back up to 2 hours.
The extra power consumption, the wear on the hard disc, it makes no sense.
OK, on the extra energy (not power) consumption, but I'll take that. As for wear on the hard disk, I believe constantly turning it on and off again wears it out more. Stats. over the years on this forum relating to bad sectors and defective disks (as well as my own experience with a couple of hundred drives over the last 20 years) would seem to agree.
And yet, EPGFix was offered as a solution to boxes recording from standby running out of EPG. So what you say contradicts that.
I'm right. I investigated, designed, coded, tested and debugged it. No-one else really has any say against that.
I will state categorically that there is NO point installing epgfix if you turn the box off/on at least once a day.

But believe what you like. Just don't complain about other conflicting opinions when they are wrong.

Trev

The Dumb One
I will state categorically that there is NO point installing epgfix if you turn the box off/on at least once a day.
But believe what you like. Just don't complain about other conflicting opinions when they are wrong.
But how was Owen supposed to know that when he posted about the apparent contradiction.