[rs] Remote Scheduling v1

We've discussed that to death already. RS isn't much use unless your box is on, at least while you're out!
RS is still very useful without the box on 24/7 but yes there are some circumstance where you wont be able to make a last minute schedule change
The merits/costs of running a disk 24/7 have certainly been done to death in many threads

Why would anyone leave a box on 24/7?
Covenience, always being able to spin back up to 2 hours.
The extra power consumption, the wear on the hard disc, it makes no sense.
OK, on the extra energy (not power) consumption, but I'll take that. As for wear on the hard disk, I believe constantly turning it on and off again wears it out more. Stats. over the years on this forum relating to bad sectors and defective disks (as well as my own experience with a couple of hundred drives over the last 20 years) would seem to agree.
And yet, EPGFix was offered as a solution to boxes recording from standby running out of EPG. So what you say contradicts that.
I'm right. I investigated, designed, coded, tested and debugged it. No-one else really has any say against that.
I will state categorically that there is NO point installing epgfix if you turn the box off/on at least once a day.

But believe what you like. Just don't complain about other conflicting opinions when they are wrong.

I will state categorically that there is NO point installing epgfix if you turn the box off/on at least once a day.
But believe what you like. Just don't complain about other conflicting opinions when they are wrong.
But how was Owen supposed to know that when he posted about the apparent contradiction.

I was out, and I decided to record Inside The Factory (BBC2 8pm), Inside Monaco (BBC2 9pm), and The Salisbury Poisonings (BBC1 9pm), so I fired up RS. Inside Monaco was already set (which didn't surprise me), but on Wales (802, which did).

Strange, I thought, so I deleted the Wales recording and set up the others via EPG. I checked back 10 mins later and RS reported them as set.

Having got home, Inside the Factory has recorded on BBC2 West, but Inside Monaco and The Salisbury Poisonings are recording on Wales. RS now reports the schedule as for Wales.

What's going on?

Has the RS email server stopped working? Not had an email since Saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Update.... setting a reminder for daily 24 hours causes RS to send me a recoding conflict email. I'll ignore them for now
Just to clear this up: based on observations of the behaviour of a HD-FOX (one tuner, and only one simultaneous recording), it seems a reminder schedule only "blocks" at its start time. After that, new reminders or recordings which start before the end of the original reminder schedule time are not treated as conflicts by the HD-FOX. This could mean the RS algorithm is too aggressive. (Recording schedules "block" for their whole duration.)

Hi

Have just tried to register for RS, but no password sent to email.
Does anyone know if, as mentioned above, the email server is running or is there another problem?

Thanks

OK Thanks. Setting up was fine and said email had been sent. Re-registering found existing account and requesting lost password again said email sent but nothing was received. Not sure what else to try except perhaps registering with a different email?

OK Thanks. Setting up was fine and said email had been sent. Re-registering found existing account and requesting lost password again said email sent but nothing was received. Not sure what else to try except perhaps registering with a different email?
I tried a password reset and haven't received an email yet so there may be a problem with the registration and reset emails.

Unfortunately @af123 who, AFAIK, is the only person able to deal with the server has been unavailable for a couple of months so I am not sure what is possible

nothing was received
I take it you've checked the usual suspects, such as the spam folder? It's also possible for ISPs to filter out "suspect" emails before they even get to your inbox - as I discovered when trying to arrange a funeral: emails with "funeral" in the subject line just vanished!

Yes all checked and I have control over the filtering, but will double check :)

All checks out ok, so looks like pending the return of @af123 not much else I can do.
Pity as being able to set remotely would be great when I am away.

Last edited:
No, I don't get the Deprecated message when repeating your search

Such messages are generated by the browser and normally appear in the browser log and not on screen
Which browser are you using and do they occur with other browsers?

Back