[rs] Remote Scheduling v1

So as long as you tune a DVB-T mux first it will be OK.
Interestingly, I initially started a manual tune with channel 39, being the first SD mux encountered. An onscreen dialogue popped up saying multi-regions were detected, and requesting me to choose one from a blank list. I started again at channel 42, then 39 and didn't get this. I suspect the ancient Humax firmware is also confused by the new frequency clearance plans.
That's all very interesting. However, I don't understand the difference between COM6 (39) and COM4 (42) - unless COM6 is also a "national"?

I just did retune to all the sd muxes first then HD and rs epg still only shows beginning with channel 40

I have now only tuned one mux sd my mux info diag says correct region did rs chanppush and rs still shows epg from channel 40 up and wrong region

Last edited:
scrap that. it seems that giving the chanpush command from my phone did not work. from my computer it did. so all fine again here.

As a result of a couple of recent threads ( RS: Failed to schedule 1 out of 4 programs with the same title and Series record) I have been looking at RS Auto-scheduling recently and noticed some apparently odd behaviour
  1. Auto schedule seems to rely on old events expiring from the EPG and doesn't check for past events before processing rules (RS auto scheduling long past events)
    Expiry is always going to have some lag so I think auto-schedule should ignore all past EPG entries to avoid unnecessary emails messages like
    Code:
    BBC NEWS[Thu, 29 Mar 2018 03:30:00 +0100 / 00:30]
    Click
    Will robots replace human workers? The programme meets the people whose livelihoods might be under threat and those who are doing something about it. Also in HD. [S]
    = Series recording occurs too soon. ( / title Click channelmatch {BBC News} action scheduleseries) =
    in RS email 30th March
  2. Surely if the action is 'Schedule series' it should only match against EPG events that are part of a series and should not match against programme events that are part of a series and it should not match against one-off showings of the programme!
    Programmes like Click are scheduled both as series events (on Saturdays) but are repeated thoughout the week as schedule fillers as one-off events, if I wanted to create a rule to create a series recording for Click I need to match the EPG entries marked as part of the series and not the one-off entries.
    When processing rules RS has access to the EPG data and should know whether the event is for a series or not.
    It might be argued that 'it has always worked this way' and 'existing rules might break' if the behaviour were to be changed in which case I would say that we need new conditions that could be included in rules 'Programme is one-off'/'Programme is part of series'/'Programme is Split' so that it can be made explicit in the rule whether you need to match a series recording.
  3. When a matching event is event is found RS is supposed to set the Last Match time stamp and suspend further processing of the rule but it seems that does not happen immediately and you can get multiple schedule series events being processed:
    Code:
    BBC NEWS
    [Fri, 30 Mar 2018 12:30:00 +0100 / 00:30]
    Click
    A comprehensive guide to all the latest gadgets, websites, games and computer industry news. Also in HD. [S]
    = Scheduled successfully (series). ( / title Click channelmatch {BBC News} action scheduleseries) =
    BBC NEWS
    [Sat, 31 Mar 2018 12:30:00 +0100 / 00:30]
    Click
    Click delves into what's happened between Facebook and Cambridge Analytica and takes a look at the wider issue of our data being harvested by tech giants. Also in HD. [S]
    = Scheduled successfully (series). ( / title Click channelmatch {BBC News} action scheduleseries) =
  4. The series actually scheduled differ from the series listed in the email.

Picture shows the actual Click schedule with only 4 of 9 scheduled episodes being marked as part of a series
1-Fullscreen capture 30032018 155454.jpg

Last edited:
I was a bit annoyed today when I discovered I wanted to record F&F7 on my ad-detect machine (HDR3)... but RS didn't show all the services in the EPG, including ITV! I switched to HDR1 and that shows all the services OK, so what's the problem?

Yes - go into Settings and for each device there is an option named Order. Change these as required (you may have to clear the cache before it works...)

Hi all. A slightly off beat question. I live close to the Northern Ireland/Republic border and have excellent service from both regions. However RS EPG will only list one region. My HDRFox T2 displays the epg for both regions but only after I first open the guide and select a channel from each. Thereafter everything is listed correctly. Not so with RS epg. However in RS I can manually select channels from either region.

Yes I am mid way between Freeview and Saorview transmitters and have tuned both without problems. The box works seamlessly with both in every way including EPG, RS also shows my full list of Channels but only displays the Freeview EPG. So I can manually set up timers for Saorview with RS but not view and use the guide, The guide is of course fine for Freeview. Incidentally Saor is the Irish word for free.

Something in Auto doesn't appear to be working. According to the published info, EPG search terms have an implied OR, so fleming 007 should match all strings containing either "fleming" or "007" (or both).

Here's an extract from my Auto list (the search term is in the synopsis column):

Here's an extract from the EPG for BBC R4X:

So, why does clicking "show matching events" say no results found?

Afterthought: does it require a four character string minimum?

Bugger! Well, that results in it being impossible to trap all broadcasts of James Bond radio dramatisations, because (as you see) there is no commonality in their titles or descriptions (I can't rely on "Blofeld" being in the synopsis!).

This limitation is not explicit in the wiki article, and the usage examples are misleading (even after I improved the wording):

+ stands for AND
- stands for NOT
[no operator] implies OR
"two words" in quotes must appear together
+doctor +(amy tardis) - containing 'doctor' and either of 'amy' or 'tardis' (or both).

It seems to me there needs to be a pop-up alert when search strings entered are irrelevant (maybe colour the box red or something, with a hover tip to explain why), and a better way to ignore too-common terms instead of a blanket restriction. How about a list of ignored strings rather than just "any string fewer than four characters"? Even better, how about user rules what to ignore (could use a regex), which defaults to three or fewer non-blank characters. Maybe that would need a pop-up warning if user rules produce too many hits.

Last edited:
Why?
Length of a search term doesn't necessarily lead to an excess of results. And who cares anyway if it does? Show the first N instead. The "too long, too short or too common" thing returning 0 results drives me mad. Google don't do it.

Why?
Length of a search term doesn't necessarily lead to an excess of results. And who cares anyway if it does? Show the first N instead. The "too long, too short or too common" thing returning 0 results drives me mad. Google don't do it.
It's a limitation of the full-text search engine in the database. I was out and about earlier and couldn't check but it looks like I was wrong and I have tuned this down so that 1 is the minimum word length. More investigation required.

Back