[rs] Remote Scheduling v1

The "wildcard handling" in the first case is a normal SQL selection condition: select ACOLUMN, ANOTHERCOLUMN from SOMETABLE where SOMECOLUMN like wildcard-pattern.

The second refers to full-text indexing specifically.

The "wildcard handling" in the first case is a normal SQL selection condition: select ACOLUMN, ANOTHERCOLUMN from SOMETABLE where SOMECOLUMN like wildcard-pattern.

The second refers to full-text indexing specifically.
But it all needs to be translated into simple English for the benefit of the non-technical readers of the Wiki

Hi all, just noticed that I cannot set a record for the upcoming show “Brexit: Behind Closed Doors” on BBC4 HD on both the Webif and the RS site.
The buttons to set the record are missing.
They do show up on the BBC4 SD version though.
Anyone else confirm this?

EDIT: Already have it set to record, so that might explain it. Ignore me if this is the case!

I had issues the other day with searching for a program using “paranormal lockdown” when using safari on an iPhone, the issue was the quotes safari used whilst filling the title search field are not normal double quotes which would read as "paranormal lockdown" but rather the italic opening and closing ones, entering my search term into the safari address bar and Copying and pasting that into the search gave the flat quotes which worked; I see in your text you had the same.

I’m not sure if there’s a way to control the search field so iOS doesn’t behave that way but it may also be worth noting in the wiki.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But it all needs to be translated into simple English for the benefit of the non-technical readers of the Wiki
Does it?
The points in post #858 are not the whole story but rather just clarification of the areas that were being discussed. If all the possible rukles were to be expanded on for the wiki then that would lead to one very long iki which due to the amount of words would not be very helpful to some "non-technical minded readers".
Perhaps verify the existing wiki wording against #858?

BTW Personally I find the style of the selected points as listed in #858 potentially easier to understand than a very wordy explanation, and also useful with the bonus link to mariadb.com. Following that link I then tried to see if the advanced RS option could use '%' and '_'. It can. E.g. An earlier post mentioned:
or {lcn 704 lcn 708 } or {synopsis fleming synopsis 007 } !synopsis 2007. action emailevents

which obviously would be better as:
or {lcn 704 lcn 708 } or {synopsis fleming and {synopsis 007 !synopsis 2007 } } action emailevents
but an alternative approach to the same goal in the absence of regexp availability would be the following, or a variation of (as without a '%' or '_' the space would be lost):
or {lcn 704 lcn 708 } or {synopsis fleming synopsis {% 007} synopsis (007 } action emailevents

If all the possible rukles were to be expanded on for the wiki then that would lead to one very long iki which due to the amount of words would not be very helpful to some "non-technical minded readers".
I don't think it's "all the possible rules" that are the issue here. The issue AFAIAC is the "unconventional" (for want of a better description, relative to people's common experience of Google search syntax) interpretation of the search field. I'm pretty sure I am on safe ground if I say MariaDB syntax is not most people's idea of "intuitive", however powerful it might be or however convenient to build it in!

That's what tripped me up, and by the looks of things several other users - and demonstrably does not conform to the current wiki guide (at least, last time I looked), which presumably reflected the original pre-implementation intention, or maybe the original behaviour before upgrade to include advanced rules. That's what I will tackle (sometime over the weekend).

I'm pretty sure I am on safe ground if I say MariaDB syntax is not most people's idea of "intuitive", however powerful it might be or however convenient to build it in!
Mariadb does support a natural language search syntax too, which I experimented with early on. It's much closer to search engines but has a couple of drawbacks that made it unsuitable for RS:
  • Stopwords are a list of common words such as "once" or "then" that do not reflect in the search results..
  • If a word appears in more than half the rows, it is excluded from the results.
Obviously it's not practical to change much about the way it works now that there are several thousand active rules in the system but the discussion here is useful.

Following that link I then tried to see if the advanced RS option could use '%' and '_'. It can.
It can also handle * and ? - it just translates them to % and _ before passing the query to the database.

It can also handle * and ? - it just translates them to % and _ before passing the query to the database.
But at least with the advanced not in all the same contexts compared to using % and _, and that difference includes the % 007 of my previous example.
E.g.
Step 1
I started off with a standard rule of just an *, followed by a space, followed by the 3 digits 007, (* 007):
This produced 10 results.

Step 2
I then used the 'Convert to Advanced' option and it resulted in:
and

Step 3
On the converted advanced rule I changed the * to a %:
This now produces the same 10 results as the original standard rule (10 today), and not the empty set that Step 2 produced when an * is used instead.

But at least with the advanced not in all the same contexts compared to using % and _, and that difference includes the % 007 of my previous example.
Aha, of course. Without a literal * in there, it will add one at the start and end, so you end up with %% 007% being passed to the database.
* 007* should achieve the same as % 007

Following that link I then tried to see if the advanced RS option could use '%' and '_'.
Unless you are a database geek, these are completely and utterly unintuitive to most people, who would expect them to be used literally.
Why should end users even know or care about what the back-end database is and its foibles?

I’m really impressed and happy with RS, I’m able to get it to do pretty much everything I’d like and I have a few mishaps but it’s amazing that it’s there and available.

I’m not sure you’d be able to easily explain all this in a wiki as it’s getting quite complex - how about a pinned topic on using advanced searching where examples like this are given and people can ask if they’re struggling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would it be possible to add a feature to the RS >> Auto >> Standard Rules >> More screen, whereby you can set up an 'Auto-Reset Mached Events' after X number of days, so that you could automatically start looking for any matches again after say a week after finding the last one?

I just wondered if there could be some enhancements to remote scheduling to improve holiday support.
Something that can happen when the Hummy is recording from standby is the EPG not being updated.
Could RS be extended to
  • Send a warning email if there are 3 days or less EPG data
  • Allow remote scheduling of a power on & power off timer to refresh the EPG

The best measure you can take, which will take care of the above and also provide recovery from system freezes, is a timeswitch-initiated daily power interruption.
That seems like a hard way to do what a cheap timeswitch could do. The technique is to ensure the unit is supposed to be in standby for a period at the same time every day (night), and interrupt the power briefly during that period. Then, if it had crashed in the previous 24 hours, the reboot revives it and the worst case is you lose one day's worth of recordings.

Last edited:
Interesting. I have never run into this problem, but then I have Disable DSO bringing the box out of standby to BBCi early in the morning, and then timers of my own at 16:30 to bring the box out of standby and tune to BBC1 HD to allow any RS events to get sent to it and then go back to sleep. Between these two they are probably achieving the same result as EPGFix without me knowing it.

epgfix is designed for boxes which are on 24/7, not for those which go in and out of standby.

epgfix is designed for boxes which are on 24/7, not for those which go in and out of standby.

Why would anyone leave a box on 24/7? The extra power consumption, the wear on the hard disc, it makes no sense.

And yet, EPGFix was offered as a solution to boxes recording from standby running out of EPG. So what you say contradicts that.

Back