Since we'll all be locked in our houses, Coronavirus

how fortunate you don't have to hand your card to the seller anymore
Those were the days - the imprint machine with a tracing paper style receipt, or the card dragged through the magnetic stripe reader. Some payment cards still use the magnetic stripe. That keeps the Post Office staff on their toes - and me keep washing my hands.

aaaaarghhh tescos today was swarming with people. they're letting too many in. i think saisburys have got it right: one person only. first time in my life i bought a 10k bag of rice.

No queues in Morrisons on Friday either at the door or at the checkouts. But, there did seem to be too many people inside the shop, many of them unaware of 1m distance let alone 2m. Then there are the larger people who faff about and bend down to look at something for 5 minutes and block your way.
Local Coop now has a one way system. Guess who forgot an item by the time he'd passed it? Can't go back. Go outside and requeue in the p'ing rain. Forget it!

I was in Tesco on Tuesday, and the one-way system was completely ignored by some.

At Yate (near Bristol) there is a large Tesco on stilts with the car park underneath. Instead of arranging the queue to be under cover in the car park, the local management has organised the queue to be down the shopping precinct (open to the rain)!

Guess who forgot an item by the time he'd passed it? Can't go back. Go outside and requeue in the p'ing rain. Forget it!
I managed to get some eggs in Tesco but, when going back to the car, the trolley went over a drain and the eggs fell out ! All smashed and the queue to get back in was about 30 people.
So no omelettes last week...

No queues in Morrisons on Friday either at the door or at the checkouts.
I went in there yesterday afternoon and there was a small queue to get in, but nothing to get out. Stock levels were quite good compared to A**a last week and I got the vast majority of list items (and fewer chavs to avoid as well).
But, there did seem to be too many people inside the shop, many of them unaware of 1m distance let alone 2m.
It thought it was mainly OK, as long as people were sensible, which of course most were, but not all.
Some old git got too close when he bent down to pick something off a shelf behind me. I told him he was too close but his just ignored me and carried on. Why couldn't he just wait a few seconds until I'd moved?
Then there are the larger people who faff about and bend down to look at something for 5 minutes and block your way.
Yes, had one of those too. I waited a reasonable time but gradually started nudging my weapon (trolley) in his direction. He didn't take the hint and carried on picking up and putting down. Then there was the stupid woman who left her trolley blocking half the aisle while she blocked the rest of it. They just don't seem to have any common sense at all.

many of them unaware of 1m distance let alone 2m
2m isn't going to protect anyone if somebody coughs or sneezes in a supermarket, so it doesn't really matter.

I'm guilty of causing slight roadblocks, because sometimes I can't see for looking. Just pass by.

People are acting as though we each have a contaminated 2m bubble around us, but that's the problem with average intelligence and doing media studies at school I suppose.

If I'm 'blocking' I get close to the shelves and wave people past. If I'm passing I do it fast and face away from the other. I'm seeing more people who do this sort of thing too.
But yesterday a woman left her trolley on one side of the aisle and went to browse the shelves on the other side :confused:

No - "standard operating procedure" is to conduct a conversation without any urgency while both clutching trolleys from opposite sides of the aisle, apparently totally oblivious to what is going on around you. I've had that happen with vehicles too - give them a toot and all you get back is "the finger".

No - "standard operating procedure" is to conduct a conversation without any urgency while both clutching trolleys from opposite sides of the aisle, apparently totally oblivious to what is going on around you. I've had that happen with vehicles too - give them a toot and all you get back is "the finger".
Standard procedure here used to be pick the narrowest part of the aisle, perhaps where a dumper has been put, stand there with your spouse and talk to that other couple you haven't seen since last week and block the aisle. As you say, the trolleys also get in the way. Fortunately, the current procedure is to only allow one person per trolley. That, the missing dumpers and the 2m rule has freed up the aisles a bit. Did see a couple enter a few weeks back with a trolley each and deciding which trolley to put their stash in. Hoarders?
I went in there yesterday afternoon and there was a small queue to get in, but nothing to get out.
You should have seen Morrisons (Gamston, Notts) about ten days ago:
morrq.jpg
The red line was the queue in (the zig-zag bit was about 2m apart). Green arrow the way out. Blue line - cash machines. Spot the problem?
Can't get out without tripping up over the in queue.

Standard procedure here used to be pick the narrowest part of the aisle, perhaps where a dumper has been put, stand there with your spouse and talk to that other couple you haven't seen since last week and block the aisle. As you say, the trolleys also get in the way. Fortunately, the current procedure is to only allow one person per trolley. That, the missing dumpers and the 2m rule has freed up the aisles a bit. Did see a couple enter a few weeks back with a trolley each and deciding which trolley to put their stash in. Hoarders?

You should have seen Morrisons (Gamston, Notts) about ten days ago:
View attachment 4597
The red line was the queue in (the zig-zag bit was about 2m apart). Green arrow the way out. Blue line - cash machines. Spot the problem?
Can't get out without tripping up over the in queue.
Ours is a lot better just one zig and one zag and the way out is through a big gap in the queue

Back