Since we'll all be locked in our houses, Coronavirus

I managed to avoid queuing just to get milk today by using the supermarket petrol station shop.

(was originally intending to pick the milk up on my evening shift tonight but that got moved to Sunday)

on logarithmyc scale 2m is quite a lot better than 1m or less
I saw an analysis the other day showing the fluid dynamics of airflow in a supermarket - within a couple of minutes anything sneezed in one aisle will have made it to two aisles away. Passing close by somebody for a few seconds is not a problem - so long as they don't cough/sneeze. On the other hand, you could pass through the spread of a previous cough/sneeze without ever knowing it, regardless of a 2m rule.

The idea of compulsory mask wearing is to catch a cough/sneeze on the way out, not stop one getting in.

You should have seen Morrisons (Gamston, Notts) about ten days ago: The red line was the queue in...
I know it well. I joined about in the centre of the S part on your image the other day and it was only about 5 mins.
(Probably bump in to you there (figuratively speaking) one of these days - you'll know me from my picture!)

Why does a mask stop things getting out but not getting in?
Basically, the seal isn't adequate. Kirchhoff's law isn't an exact analogy for fluid dynamics, but it illustrates the point - air flow through a filter medium has a high resistance, so a large proportion of the airflow goes around the obstruction. Micro-droplets potentially carrying infection are also carried around the obstruction by the low-velocity airflow

However, under an explosive expulsion, anything in the airflow has momentum and doesn't get deflected as easily as the air itself. Micro-droplets containing potential infection hit the mask and are caught in its adsorbent* material.

If you want an analogy: flies hitting a windscreen. Drive slowly, and they are carried over the car which the airflow. Drive quickly, and there isn't enough time for them to be deflected - the air goes up and over, but the fly is "adsorbed" (splatted).

* adsorb v absorb: adsorption is a surface phenomenon, absorption is a volume phenomenon.

Why does a mask stop things getting out but not getting in?
Because the virus comes out stuck to spit, snot and all manner of other lung fluids that do get trapped because the 'carrier' lumps are vastly larger.

Well that's the Trev theory anyway, and it probably holds quite a bit of water.

Just so you are aware: dentists. I think I've chipped a tooth, but my dentist says they are not doing anything but emergencies and that does not class as an emergency unless there is pain or swelling. I am advised to apply a temporary filling compound available from Boots, and they will be in touch when they are able to offer an appointment (which could be months away).

Maybe some Isopon would do! :rolleyes:

Just so you are aware: dentists. I think I've chipped a tooth, but my dentist says they are not doing anything but emergencies and that does not class as an emergency unless there is pain or swelling. I am advised to apply a temporary filling compound available from Boots, and they will be in touch when they are able to offer an appointment (which could be months away).

Maybe some Isopon would do! :rolleyes:
what, you don't know how to mime pain?

Just so you are aware: dentists. .... my dentist says they are not doing anything but emergencies
I think they have been advised by the Chief Dental Officer to do that. According to the webshite of my local dentist (another site that crashes my browser) he is following that advice. I doubt it. Seen his car at the surgery a number of times (maybe legitimately). You can always spot it. It has a number plate that spells out the dentist's initial and surname. :rolleyes: (BTW: Does your dentist call him/herself doctor? Shouldn't a dental surgeon by a Mister (or Miss)?)

One bonus of the current lockdown is that the air around here seems less polluted that it has been for a long time. The last time I breathed such fresh air was when, a number of years ago, I was walking around southern Bavaria close to the Alps.
You sound like a Nazi
Oh what a give away! :D
(Just to clarify - a number of years ago was about 25-30, and it was in Bavaria.)

One bonus of the current lockdown is that the air around here seems less polluted that it has been for a long time. The last time I breathed such fresh air was when, a number of years ago, I was walking around southern Bavaria close to the Alps.
if you're showing off breathing alpine air in Bavaria can I boast my lungs with the air breathed in off the top of dozens of Alps?

I think I just did. oh well.

if you're showing off breathing alpine air in Bavaria
Not really boasting, just don't remember such fresh air. And that wasn't even up the Alps but at ground level and a very small (in comparison to the Alps) mountain. Only been on top of one of the Alps (in Austria - not doing myself any favours with the Nazi reference!). Couldn't tell how fresh the air was, too damn cold.

I will take your Alps and raise you the glacier of Langtang in the the Himalayas. It was also the only time I have been truly amazed at the wonders of a night sky.

I just remember when I worked in central London (~50 years ago) and blowing my nose after getting home at night.
Black snot.

Who needs an alp? Anywhere outside the M25 does for me :)

Back