Since we'll all be locked in our houses, Coronavirus

so now it seems that the 7 ft rule was excessive and ministers are thinking of the best way to spin dropping it.

also who believes that this eradicating the economy was some sort of over reaction?

so now it seems that the 7 ft rule was excessive and ministers are thinking of the best way to spin dropping it.

also who believes that this eradicating the economy was some sort of over reaction?
If the 2M rule (6ft 6 3/4 inches) is excessive: it may be I have not seen a rigorous assessment of the available data, what else was it that the UK has done so wrong? We have 0.9% of the world's population and 10% of the covid-19 deaths. This is shockingly bad. Perhaps I shouldn't mention this and 'do Britain down'? Perhaps I should just talk about Alexander Boris DePiffle Johnson and his future ex-wife? They've got a little baby don't you know! Gawd bless 'em, and Gawd bless the Queen too!
Regarding the economy, I suppose it depends on what a life is worth. I'm sure the government has equations for this. The thing is that people care a lot less about the lives of other people's loved ones than their own. So if relaxing the restrictions would help the economy but would lead to an extra 20000 deaths would that be OK? Would the death of one of your loved ones be worth it? Not nice things to ponder.

has anyone received any of these virus self testing kits or knows anyone who has?
I think they are being sent to people who 'need' them (probably care and health workers) but who can't get to one of the hundreds of easily accessible test sites (That's sarcasm BTW).

Don't expect one to appear in your mail any time soon if you aren't important.

Not nice things to ponder.
They have been being pondered for weeks, both officially and on forums.

One big concern is the (currently) hidden death toll that the lockdowns themselves are causing - some may take years to actually happen but they will be there.

Another is the trashing of people's futures. Are we consigning many youngish people to miserable unproductive lives to give some old and unwell people a few months or a year or two of (probably equally miserable) existence?

I've seen one person suggest (tongue in cheek I think) a ratio of 1 young = 100 old. I personally think it should be 1 young = >1 old, but not as much as 100 probably.

One thing I haven't seen reported is what the old people think. I suspect that if asked many a grandparent (or indeed parent) would accept the possibility of their own premature demise if it would help their offspring to have a life.

Keep in mind that this disease is not an instant death warrant, despite the media portrayal. The overall rate is probably 0.5-1%. Within the 80+ age group it's still only about 8% ... so 92% of them will live to die of something else.

it depends on what a life is worth
Indeed.

Keep in mind that this disease is not an instant death warrant, despite the media portrayal. The overall rate is probably 0.5-1%. Within the 80+ age group it's still only about 8% ... so 92% of them will live to die of something else.
I have had covid-19 and recovered (I am in my fifties): my GP is convinced I had it though I was never tested as I am not a politician or media personality. I was ill for about three weeks. The weirdest symptom was losing the senses of smell and taste. It is not like a normal cold, my nose was fine and unblocked, I just could not taste anything for about 10 days. The worst was the fevers: I kept oscillating between 'freezing' and 'boiling' hot. I started feeling better after two weeks but then took a downturn. Sorry if this is TMI, but my urine had blood and protein in it: I have never had kidney problems before. This had them stumped so they gave me antibiotics in case I'd got an infection (though tests were negative). Luckily I got better after a few days and avoided hospital. It turns out from reports in the New York Times last week, and BBC News yesterday that kidney problems are common with covid-19 patients ill enough to be in hospital: 20% in ICU get kidney failure and need dialysis. According to the BBC report, the kidneys get clogged with coronavirus particles and stop functioning correctly.
It was a grim ride at times but I count myself as lucky. One thing I would say is don't rely on NHS 111, these are just my experiences, but I had to call them twice and they did not have a clue. They just ask loads of mostly irrelevant questions and their 'advice' is essentially 'computer says no'. Not fit for purpose and a complete waste of scarce resources. To make it worse, you are not even allowed to complain about them: you can send in a complaint but no action will be taken!

Okay, so I've been on the weekly shop. In M&S, I managed to pay a bill of £45.30 contactless :eek:

I decided to try Morrisons as a change from Tesco, and wished I hadn't. There appeared to be almost no consideration to social distancing etc; the shop didn't have all that many shoppers and there was no queue to go in, but there was no one-way system in force, and the shelf stackers were in huddles sometimes blocking access to shelves while they gaggled. Shoppers themselves sort-of kept away from each other, but it was all very lax.

@MET, thank you for your personal report, and I'm happy you are recovering well. I'm one of the fit & healthy over 70's who is trying to avoid the selfish people who do not respect the distancing rules.
I just want to live long enough to spend my hard earned money :)

If the 2M rule (6ft 6 3/4 inches) is excessive: it may be I have not seen a rigorous assessment of the available data, what else was it that the UK has done so wrong? We have 0.9% of the world's population and 10% of the covid-19 deaths. This is shockingly bad. Perhaps I shouldn't mention this and 'do Britain down'? Perhaps I should just talk about Alexander Boris DePiffle Johnson and his future ex-wife? They've got a little baby don't you know! Gawd bless 'em, and Gawd bless the Queen too!
Regarding the economy, I suppose it depends on what a life is worth. I'm sure the government has equations for this. The thing is that people care a lot less about the lives of other people's loved ones than their own. So if relaxing the restrictions would help the economy but would lead to an extra 20000 deaths would that be OK? Would the death of one of your loved ones be worth it? Not nice things to ponder.
there has been rigorous research done and it concluded that you needed to be in close contact within a metre and around 15 minutes to catch it. but those conditions seem to have disappeared from govt advice, indeed they never made it into.

secondly, what is all this need of nastiness about someone who suffered infinitely more than you? do they teach you this at the lefties' school?

thirdly, this is not lives of people vs the economy/money. it is lives vs lives lost because of high unemployment and reduced economic activity.

I just want to live long enough to spend my hard earned money :)
............. and then live some more.

I can guarantee you that there won't be a day when you'll say to your dearest: shit, I've run out of money, i'm gonna jump off this bridge. apart from VERY few people that is.

there has been rigorous research done and it concluded that you needed to be in close contact within a metre and around 15 minutes to catch it. but those conditions seem to have disappeared from govt advice, indeed they never made it into.

secondly, what is all this need of nastiness about someone who suffered infinitely more than you? do they teach you this at the lefties' school?

thirdly, this is not lives of people vs the economy/money. it is lives vs lives lost because of high unemployment and reduced economic activity.
Who suffered 'infinitely' more than I did? Do you own a dictionary and/ or have a concept of the word 'infinite'? Who are you talking about, De Piffle Johnson? He was never that ill. A normal member of the public wouldn't even have been taken into hospital with his symptoms. I really don't understand why you fascists love Johnson so much, it must be the white supremacy and general racism.
I take it from your economic argument that you are not an economist.

Who suffered 'infinitely' more than I did? Do you own a dictionary and/ or have a concept of the word 'infinite'? Who are you talking about, De Piffle Johnson? He was never that ill. A normal member of the public wouldn't even have been taken into hospital with his symptoms. I really don't understand why you fascists love Johnson so much, it must be the white supremacy and general racism.
I take it from your economic argument that you are not an economist.
firstly, he went into icu which was a fifty fifty affair. I would call that high a chance of dying infinitely more serious than your red pee.

secondly. let's say I am a "fascist". why is it that you can't find one example of me being as nasty as your sect members about people? not to say that your sect's wrongly and continuously using of the word fascist REALLY highlights your intellectual powers.

thirdly, what economic argument? :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

No one did. You were the subject.
If you twats would cut out all this puerile politicking crap and piss of to FaceTime or wherever that sort of sh1te is welcomed, this place would be much nicer place to be.
Sorry Trev, I have a lot of respect for you but calling me 'a twat' is going too far. I have never been rude or disrespectful to you.

Last edited:
I sincerely hope that this thread doesn't degenerate like the 'n' thread which had to be closed and removed.

Personal attacks of that nature are not welcome here.
One big concern is the (currently) hidden death toll that the lockdowns themselves are causing - some may take years to actually happen but they will be there.

Another is the trashing of people's futures. Are we consigning many youngish people to miserable unproductive lives to give some old and unwell people a few months or a year or two of (probably equally miserable) existence?
had, according to trev, montyseviltwat bothered to read he would have found reasonable answers as above. oh, and before the forum police bangs on my door I can call one because I am one, no racism involved. peace and love

Back