Since we'll all be locked in our houses, Coronavirus

had, according to trev, montyseviltwat bothered to read he would have found reasonable answers as above. oh, and before the forum police bangs on my door I can call one because I am one, no racism involved. peace and love
Posting this here so that he can't edit his message and claim he never said it.

before we find out what the real answer is from roche what do people believe, researched, guessed the mortality rate of this virus is?

i go for 0.5 %

classic example of reading and not understanding one jot.
Well, I read it twice and couldn't understand it, so it's not just him :dunno:

You are so busy ranting (I think) that you don't stop to check if what you are writing will make any sense to minds other than yours.

Well, I read it twice and couldn't understand it, so it's not just him :dunno:

You are so busy ranting (I think) that you don't stop to check if what you are writing will make any sense to minds other than yours.
Read that again and cross your heart hope to die say here:
Does it in anyway sound like I'm gonna edit or even try to?

It has been known before for peeps to edit then deny. But why insurance against that is so important in this case totally escapes me.

Someone said that the 2m rule had to stay

Well

• Robert Dingwall from Nervtag said the rule is not backed by scientific evidence

If we had not mucked around with moving over to those nasty, foreign weights and measures then we would surely have been allowed to stand about seven inches closer. :D

mihaid appears to be a Corona-sceptic conspiracy theorist, more pissed off about restrictions than the potential risk of not having restrictions. Personally, I will minimise my chances of catching this bug whatever, while doing what has to be done to keep myself and those I care for going.

People push boundaries, whether unavoidably, accidentally, or deliberately. Declare 1m social distancing and suddenly that becomes 0.5m. The whole idea is to bring the R number below 1, so to compensate for unavoidable or accidental infection it is necessary to reduce the probability of transmission in any individual encounter well below the same probability if there were no unavoidable or accidental incursions. That means making social distancing (and all the other measures) more stringent than the scientific evidence says they need to be under ideal conditions, because these are not ideal conditions and the scientific evidence does not account for the effect on R of unavoidable or accidental incursions.

Those who refuse to accept the need for restrictions are a particular problem because of the effect they are having on R. If there were no deliberate incursions, the restrictions could be made less stringent for all of us.

If you deliberately increase (or refuse to decrease) your contribution to the R number (which is an average over the entire population), you are contributing to the problem... not only for the overall R number but overwhelmingly in your local community.

Everybody is in this together, like it or not. Get with it. Stop posting conspiracy theories.

How to run an airline with social distancing:
  1. Take one passenger,
  2. Charge the entire cost of the flight to that passenger.
It seems entirely reasonable to me that if there have to be flights (preferably no flights), it makes no difference to R whether the flight is full or two thirds empty, unless everyone is in biosuits.

And now it seems to be distance and time. You have to be within 2m for >15 mins. Baloney. What if someone with it coughs in your face just 4 seconds after approaching him at 2m.
And as for the conspiracy theories. that idiot David Eike was banned from Facethingy for repeating the stupid idea that 5G phone signals were something to do with it. And as for the equally stupid woman who was trying to persuade all her friends to bin their routers because they had a 5Gz band after abysmal ignorance without fact checking caused her associate 5th generation mobile phone signals with 5GHz router signals. Mind you, there is a similarity with 5G being on 3.4GHz.
God help us with ijits like that spreading lies around as if they were facts.

What if someone with it coughs in your face just 4 seconds after approaching him at 2m.
It's to do with risk analysis - the slices of Swiss cheese thing.
How often do people cough in your face?

I suspect talking is the real risk, but people prefer to go with slightly more energetic but far rarer expulsions of mucus.

Those who refuse to accept the need for restrictions are a particular problem because of the effect they are having on R. If there were no deliberate incursions, the restrictions could be made less stringent for all of us.
That said, I believe we should be guided by regulation only, not by local interpretation of regulations. Otherwise there is not a level playing field, and some people will legitimately feel put upon. People who are conforming strictly to regulation (but not necessarily what other people would like the regulation to be) are doing nothing wrong but are unnecessarily subject to scrutiny against unratified opinion. Regulation needs to cover all circumstances, and be enforceable.

Yeah, well that came out wrong but surely you understand the point: in an enclosed vessel for an extended duration, it hardly affects transmission by spreading passengers out - all that achieves is to multiply to cost of a ticket (which would be a good thing, so far as I am concerned). Maybe cargo could go in the empty seats to offset the cost.

Alternatively: wing walking.

And now it seems to be distance and time.
Always was, but that is a difficult message to get over to the general public without misunderstandings, so the time element got dropped. With a phone app to do the monitoring, time can be brought into the equation.

It's a question of viral load: just one particle has very little chance of infecting a healthy person, it takes more of an onslaught.

It is also my opinion (rather than specific knowledge) that coronavirus can only take hold if inhaled, or to contract it from a contaminated surface would require considerable transport into the mouth (or other thin membrane rather than skin). It is unlikely to be contracted through the stomach, where the acids should deal with it.

However: if you have a compromised immune system, all bets are off. Just one might get through.

So:

Normal heathy people, even elderly people, can go about their business by being cautious about being around other people (outside their household), ie social distancing, and by being careful about decontaminating themselves if they come into contact with anything - in other words: don't touch anything if you can avoid it, don't eat or drink out of the house, and wash your hands the moment you get home.

Immune-compromised people need to avoid any contact, which is the purpose of self-isolation - but that has been advised for all the over-70's instead of just the immune-compromised group, which has weakened the message.

However, in my view, enclosed spaces such as supermarkets are a risk despite social distancing, even to non-immune-compromised people. Some people have to do the shopping, so then you have to consider risk of serious illness or death as opposed to risk of any illness. Over-70's and people with underlying conditions (but not immune-compromised) shouldn't need to self-isolate, but neither should they do the shopping.

BUT: the big elephant in the room is how you get all those ifs-and-buts over to the general public. If there is any chance of confusion, you have to simplify... and that's what we've got. And don't take my word for it either - if you decide not to self-isolate and catch it, I'm not accepting blame!

you understand the point: in an enclosed vessel for an extended duration, it hardly affects transmission by spreading passengers out
I think I understand your (and most others) conception of an airliner.
Let's just say I'd rather spend an hour in an airliner than 5 minutes on a bus or train.

from a contaminated surface would require considerable transport into the mouth
I think you underestimate that route. It's why the biggest recommendation all along has been hand washing.

It is unlikely to be contracted through the stomach
True ... But if it's on the food you eat it will get plastered all over your mouth while you chew it before going down your throat (more plastering) to that acidic doom.

Back